To not return to school-what options available to parents ?

Crabby

Honorary Master
Why don't you want to send your kid to school?
Too many family members at risk.

What other types of schooling are there? Moonschooling? Underwater schooling?
I'm liking the idea of underwater schooling.

Just looking at options for halfway through a term.

The school will stop the online work now that the grade is back but I don't see why they can't just put a camera up in the classroom and stream for those that don't want to go into the school.

Now I have to apply, wait 30 days, then see how things pan out. My other complication is he will be going to an international school next year so it might just be worth my while to drop him out completely and he redoes his year.

eg2505

Honorary Master
dont envy you OP,

I'm imagining what its like to go through school during covid, what a gigantic mess this year has turned out to be,

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
In the same boat here.

I see that Wynberg Boys and Girls have initiated a survey for expressions of interest in an Online School.

Wynberg Online High School
The education system has had to adapt to e-learning for the past couple of months with the Covid-19 lockdown, many students have made the switch comfortably, adapting very well to this new approach. Wynberg is conducting a survey investigating the viability of launching an independent Wynberg Online High School in 2021. Please complete the survey below to enable us to plot an exciting new way forward. Remember this is only a survey, please do not contact Wynberg Boys’ or Girls’ High Schools in this regard. Our admissions team will be in touch to discuss the next steps should the outcome of this survey favour an Online High School. Please note that launch of the project will be based on achieving minimum required student numbers. For more information visit http://wynbergonlinehighschool.co.za/
http://wynbergonlinehighschool.co.za/

ForceFate

Honorary Master
homeschooling, or online schooling. to be fair. probably cheaper even

can only imagine what a headache its for parents and even for kids with this current madness of covid.
schools that were open for decades now suddenly closed,

its complete anarchy honestly.
No man, that school was going to close whether there was covid or not. I bet there's more going on there than they're willing to divulge.

eg2505

Honorary Master
No man, that school was going to close whether there was covid or not. I bet there's more going on there than they're willing to divulge.
in that I can agree, but one has to ask,
had Covid NOT happened, would the same have happened or not?

I think not, with kids paying 10K per term, with 20 kids in a class,
mucho dinero I bet.

sure the school would have kept going with that sort of income.

noxibox

Honorary Master
The school will stop the online work now that the grade is back but I don't see why they can't just put a camera up in the classroom and stream for those that don't want to go into the school.

Now I have to apply, wait 30 days, then see how things pan out. My other complication is he will be going to an international school next year so it might just be worth my while to drop him out completely and he redoes his year.
Just putting a camera up doesn't really work. It isn't that simple.

Being in the middle of a term won't matter for homeschooling. You just start wherever you need to.

You'll have to consider the impact of repeating a year.

In the same boat here.

I see that Wynberg Boys and Girls have initiated a survey for expressions of interest in an Online School.

http://wynbergonlinehighschool.co.za/
Are they still going to keep the boys and girls separate?

ForceFate

Honorary Master
in that I can agree, but one has to ask,
had Covid NOT happened, would the same have happened or not?

I think not, with kids paying 10K per term, with 20 kids in a class,
mucho dinero I bet.

sure the school would have kept going with that sort of income.
Their problems started before lockdown.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Just putting a camera up doesn't really work. It isn't that simple.

Being in the middle of a term won't matter for homeschooling. You just start wherever you need to.

You'll have to consider the impact of repeating a year.

Are they still going to keep the boys and girls separate?
No idea - doubt it