To travel locally or internationally

Mimen

After a recent 18 day trip to Den Haag, Amsterdam, Paris, Ghent in Belgium and Rome I've been thinking about this topic.
Between AirBB and Couch Surfing and a stop over in the EUA the flights and accommodation was around 17000 grand.
Couchsurfing was for free but the AirBB accommodation we booked for a few days of our travel was about 500 bucks per night per person, and that for a place with a stove, microwave and washing machine!

Comparing this to a recent weekend stay in Dullstroom that was 500 bucks per night per person and that for a room only!

So for travel and accommodation for 18 days, to 5 cities/towns in Europe was around 15 grand. The equivalent to Dullstroom would be around 10 grand!

Just looks a bit out of kilter to me and is making me think of my next long holiday in 3 years. South America, Zanzibar or South Africa? The one thing that cost us about 50 Euros (R750) per day was the metro Uber, supermarket food and regularly eating out and getting pissed. All and all considering the above I don't think it was to bad.
So the question remains, are we getting ripped of in South Africa wanting to travel locally or is it just more manageable to travel overseas than I reckoned with.

Anyway, any ideas on Zanzibar travel would be welcome.
Ps, for the trolls it ching to slam me because I'm questioning traveling our beautifully South Africa instead, you are more than welcome.

EADC

Expert Member
Are you sure about these numbers? I have been to 3 of those and they are not cheap especially Paris.

JimmyRott

After a recent 18 day trip to Den Haag, Amsterdam, Paris, Ghent in Belgium and Rome I've been thinking about this topic.
Between AirBB and Couch Surfing and a stop over in the EUA the flights and accommodation was around 17000 grand.
Couchsurfing was for free but the AirBB accommodation we booked for a few days of our travel was about 500 bucks per night per person, and that for a place with a stove, microwave and washing machine!

Comparing this to a recent weekend stay in Dullstroom that was 500 bucks per night per person and that for a room only!

So for travel and accommodation for 18 days, to 5 cities/towns in Europe was around 15 grand. The equivalent to Dullstroom would be around 10 grand!

Just looks a bit out of kilter to me and is making me think of my next long holiday in 3 years. South America, Zanzibar or South Africa? The one thing that cost us about 50 Euros (R750) per day was the metro Uber, supermarket food and regularly eating out and getting pissed. All and all considering the above I don't think it was to bad.
So the question remains, are we getting ripped of in South Africa wanting to travel locally or is it just more manageable to travel overseas than I reckoned with.

Anyway, any ideas on Zanzibar travel would be welcome.
Ps, for the trolls it ching to slam me because I'm questioning traveling our beautifully South Africa instead, you are more than welcome.
I used to live in Zanzibar and have travelled all over South Africa and South America. All in all it really depends on what you want out of the holiday...

It's difficult to recommend something without knowing what you are like as a person.

In general I don't think overseas island holidays are worth it. If you want to sit on a beach there are several amazing places in SA to do just that.

Zanzibar has some interesting architecture in stone town and there are nice beaches. But the place is full of muslims...