Today is the last day that I read mybroadband news articles

DeamonLizard

Today I really looked forward to my favourite passtime - reading what's happening in the world of SA IT/Broadband. I've been working myself to death to get a project done (pulled a few all-nighters in the last 2 weeks), so naturally I was quite excited to feed my brain some much needed info. I fired up my RSS reader and a nice 374 mybroadband articles were waiting for me. Awesome I thought.

But yea - after a good 2 hours I reaslised - what an absolute waste of time. It's like a revolving door spitting out the same articles over and over:

Phase 1:

Spit out an article saying: How bad is SA broadband really? Yea... thx.

Phase 2:

Get some CEO from some big company to say "SA really needs broadband". Duh.

Phase 3:

Broadband prices to come down soon! Ummm yea - heard that one before.

Phase 4:

Big company X warns of online scam. Seriously, if anyone still falls for a phishing scan they have been living under a rock since forever.

Phase 5:

Rinse and repeat.

Please mybroadband - can I have a feed of news that actually matters? This is seriously becoming old

Last edited:

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Thanks for the feedback.

I can assure you we do our best to report as best we can on local IT news, and it does indeed happen that the news repeats itself. This is however not an issue with MyBroadband, but with news in general. How about news about South Africa? Do you stop reading News24 because it is always about Crime, Politics and the 2010 World Cup? Or how about CNN…not getting tired about the financial crisis?

The news section has grown by over 80% over the last few months, giving a strong indication that the majority of our readers find the news of value. We really try to serve the community as best we can with news, and hope you find at least a few articles interesting in future :)

Regards,

RPM

Grouter

Expert Member
What bugs me is the headline being repeated in the first line of the first paragraph in the article all the time. Otherwise, I still include mybb news on my news radar every am over coffee. Beats reading about malema's latest rant on news24.

killadoob

Honorary Master
Who is this deamon lizard anyhow?

Cheers bro. Glad to see you contributed to this site with your 30 odd posts :D.

Farlig you got a problem i reckon, you love malema's jewels :D, would you swallow?

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack
Who is this deamon lizard anyhow?
Just some irritating reptile that spent too much time in the sun.

I enjoy the news articles on mybb as well and yes, some of them are repeated now and again but I don't have a problem with it.

Sting

Ghost in the Machine
Freedom of the internet. If you don't like the web page, click somewhere else!

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Today I really looked forward to my favourite passtime - reading what's happening in the world of SA IT/Broadband. I've been working myself to death to get a project done (pulled a few all-nighters in the last 2 weeks), so naturally I was quite excited to feed my brain some much needed info. I fired up my RSS reader and a nice 374 mybroadband articles were waiting for me. Awesome I thought.

But yea - after a good 2 hours I reaslised - what an absolute waste of time. It's like a revolving door spitting out the same articles over and over:

Phase 1:

Phase 2:

Phase 3:

Phase 4:

Big company X warns of online scam. Seriously, if anyone still falls for a phishing scan they have been living under a rock since forever.

Phase 5:

Rinse and repeat.

Please mybroadband - can I have a feed of news that actually matters? This is seriously becoming old
I went to see todays headlines and they are:

What top IT executives earn
The fastest Web browser
MTN one of world’s best companies
DoC asks for digital content development feedback
E-reader sales soaring
Pay for news used, says news bosses
"Project Runway" to become Wii game
Vodacom Betavine Social eXchange
Facebook blocked at work
IBM in antitrust probe

So perhaps you should get some sleep, you clearly need it.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle

Phase 1:

Phase 2:

Phase 3:

Phase 4:

Phase 5:

Rinse and repeat.

who the hell are you?

making_hay

Banned
I did an analysis of MyBB news content a few weeks ago when someone complained about all the press releases that were published as "news". Of the 16 most recent articles that had been published as "news", this is what I found:

38% of MyBB news is Syndicated Content
34% of MyBB news is actually Company Press Releases (usually one or two words changed)
28% of MyBB news is Original Content

Please PM me if you would like the titles of the articles on which this analysis was based.

Morgoth

Executive Member
I am going to stop reading the news, because it is trying to tell me something new everyday!

Keeper

Honorary Master
who the hell are you?
his name...... is Deamon Lizard. he walks in the shadows, and never sleeps. he is the unknown hero, that fights crime, and gives insight to the world on IT news.

he will not sleep until his RSS feeds brings in new news....new, "new" news, not any old new news.

Did I mention he walks in the shadows late at night?