Tongaat Mall Building Collapse and Inquiry

schumi

Honorary Master
Joined
Mar 26, 2010
Messages
23,085
Tongaat Mall collapse: Three years later and still no answers

Durban - Three years after a concrete slab collapsed and crushed her to death, Zakithi Nxumalo’s family still does not know the truth about the events that led to that tragic Tuesday afternoon at the Tongaat Mall construction site.

The 28-year-old mother of three from KwaMashu was a bricklayer at the mall, which was being built by Gralio Precast, a company owned by businessman Jay Singh.

The R208-million project was being developed by Rectangle Property Investments, whose sole director is Ravi Jagadasan, Singh’s son.

The collapse also killed Zweli Masuku, 51, and injured 29 other construction workers.

“To date we still don’t know what happened because everyone became evasive when the commission of inquiry was appointed, but nothing came out of that as well because we haven’t seen the report,” said Zakithi’s mother Phumuzile Nxumalo.

In 2014 Labour Minister Mildred Oliphant set up a commission of inquiry to investigate the mall’s collapse and it found several contraventions of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and construction regulations.

Shoddy construction methods were blamed for the collapse.

The commission also highlighted failure to prepare and work from drawings, lack of knowledge to execute the task by supervisors and the use of defective materials, including imported cement which did not meet the SA Bureau of Standards requirements.

No decision


In 2015 Oliphant said the full report would not be made public but instead was handed over to the National Prosecutions Authority to determine whether anyone should be prosecuted. However that decision has not been made.

“We have received the report. The report has been assigned to a senior prosecutor who is still studying it to decide on a way forward,” said the KZN director of public prosecutions, advocate Moipone Noko.
More at: http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/kwazulu-natal/tongaat-mall-collapse-three-years-later-and-still-no-answers-8051145
 

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Joined
Dec 15, 2009
Messages
20,843
He is a cadre I bet and that's why nothing has happened to date.
 

schumi

Honorary Master
Joined
Mar 26, 2010
Messages
23,085
5 years later, still no decision on who is responsible for mall collapse

Durban - The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) is still far from making a decision on the oThongathi Mall collapse, the authority said.

The R208 million mall, built by Gralio Precast which is run by controversial Durban businessman Jay Singh, collapsed in 2013, killing two people and injuring 29 others.

The company was also involved in the construction of housing units in the Cornubia development.

Advocate Moipone Noko, KwaZulu-Natal’s Director of Public Prosecutions, said her office received the Department of Labour’s report into the incident in November 2016. The department’s inquiry into the collapse was concluded in March 2016.

Noko said it took about nine months for the departmental experts to compile their report.
More at : https://www.iol.co.za/dailynews/news/kwazulu-natal/5-years-later-still-no-decision-on-who-is-responsible-for-mall-collapse-15748478
 

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
102,737
Friends of the ANC... therefore no prosecution. Welcome to Animal Farm.
 

schumi

Honorary Master
Joined
Mar 26, 2010
Messages
23,085
Construction of the new Tongaat Mall has begun after collapse in 2013

Construction of the new Tongaat Mall has begun after collapse in 2013

WORKERS on site of the ill-fated Tongaat Mall aim to finish it by November, after it collapsed in 2013. NKULULEKO NENE
Durban - Construction of the new Tongaat Mall has begun. Work resumed last month after tons of rubble, left behind when the structure of a mall built by businessman Jay Singh was demolished, had to be removed.
Singh’s building had partially collapsed in 2013, killing two people and injuring several others.
After the collapse and a commission of inquiry by the Department of Labour, Singh sold the land to AJ Property Holdings, in partnership with Proproyale Developments.
While six employees who worked on Singh’s project have now been employed by the new developer, they still had flashbacks of the tragedy in which their co-workers died.
Zimele Shiya’s missing front teeth are a constant reminder of his close brush with death. He said he was hit on the head by the falling rubble.

“I remember everyone screaming and ducking away from a cloud of dust when the structure fell. A loose pile of steel crashed on the back of my head. The impact sent me crashing to the dusty floor,” he recalled.
The 42-year-old bricklayer from a neighbouring village in Ndwedwe said he was grateful to be back at work.
“After the site closed, I went back home to look after cattle. I had no formal work until they called me back late last year”, said Shiya.

Others who have been re-employed are Ntobeko Mzingithi, 44, Mthuthuzeli Sigibi, 32, Zukile Mathosha, 44, Nkosivumile Njeje, 44, from the Eastern Cape and 61-year-old Robert Luthuli from Zululand.
Most of them felt betrayed by both Singh and the Department of Labour because they said were not compensated.
“We have lost faith in the system after failing us. Too many promises were made during the commission. Some of us, who are not here, lost limbs and suffered excruciating pain,” Mzingithi added.

More at : https://www.iol.co.za/sunday-tribune/news/construction-of-the-new-tongaat-mall-has-begun-after-collapse-in-2013-42452388
 

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Joined
Apr 8, 2006
Messages
85,657
Not that I ever shop in Tongaat, but I can see getting people to go to this mall after that tragedy will be a challenge.
 
Top