Tony Leon slams FW de Klerk Foundation for apartheid comment

konfab

Honorary Master
De Klerk is just stating the view of a lot of white South Africans, don't make it like he's a sole mad man who holds that view.
You obviously have evidence that would back up such a generalisation, since you are kvetching about the evils of racial stereotypes that were done during apartheid.

SoldierMan

Expert Member
Why De Klerk still wants to be in the public eye is beyond me... If I was him I would have retired somewhere quiet and stayed out of the news, media and politics.

Regardless of what his involvement was in apartheid he got off lucky in 1994 in a sense that the ANC could have immediately made his life hell and throw him in jail if they wanted to... innocent or not.
No, there was a negotiation. No doubt de Klerk and others not going to jail was one of the conditions, just like some ANC members who killed innocent whites didn't go to jail.

SoldierMan

Expert Member
De Klerk is just stating the view of a lot of white South Africans, don't make it like he's a sole mad man who holds that view.
Not this white South African, I definitely think it was a crime against humanity. So keep your assumptions to yourself.

However the ANC are hypocrites when it comes to this as they don't see 40 million Chinese being killed as a crime against humanity. Pot kettle and all that.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
You obviously have evidence that would back up such a generalisation, since you are kvetching about the evils of racial stereotypes that were done during apartheid.
I don't think the thoughts on Apartheid from a minority within the 8% of South Africa's white population is at all relevant to the current state of our country. That said, the 11%-elected EFF does and are offered a 90% platform by the media. Therein lies the imbalance.

Mar Vin

Expert Member
Here is a radical notion for you.

It is entirely possible to think apartheid is wholesale evil without relying on what the a Soviet backed UN statement claims or not.

Apartheid was evil because the things that happened, job reservations, forced removals, deprecation of property, forced segregation, forced integration(this one is one that people seem to forget as well), detention without cause and so on are evil unto themselves, not evil because the UN said they are.
And I disagreed? :eek:......go back all the way pls

Excalibur

Expert Member
you evidence is right here on the this forum, way before the butcher De Klerk made it topical.

Mar Vin

Expert Member
Why is that SO relevant? Is what white South Africans think, or don't think, about Apartheid relevant to the current suffrage and poverty under which most South Africans live?
Lets be honest....it does matter right? or it should matter right? What rainbow nation is there to speak of if that's still how a group feels? so does it not matter in efforts to move forward or at least to co exist? Yes, this while our govt is moving us back...

but can we honestly say it doesn't matter?

SAguy

Expert Member
No, there was a negotiation. No doubt de Klerk and others not going to jail was one of the conditions, just like some ANC members who killed innocent whites didn't go to jail.
For sure, but the negotiations could have gone either way... or not have been stuck to.
Many other outcomes would have resulted in a worse situation for De Klerk (and others too of course)

He should just have disappeared.