Top 10 suburbs in South Africa for fast Internet speeds

Sapphiron

Centadel
Company Rep
Are the test result locations really valid for the majority of tests?

Given the high number of tests in the JHB and the lack of tests in the CPT CBD (Cape Town ISP's are mostly in Teraco in Rondebosch), are you not just locating their IP address locations for where the ISP network core is located.

For example, if I locate my Cybersmart IP, using various online services, I get Teraco in Cape Town. For our office WISP connection, our IP is also geolocated to Teraco.

I would expect the same to be true for JHB fibre ISPs and WISPs.

MyBB, maybe do an article on locations, where the most connection tests are made from?

isie

Honorary Master
More like top Suburbs where all the rich people live that can afford fast fibre packages.
:crylaugh: number 1 and 2, Randburg, Weltevreden Park and florida Rich Suburbs, they nice neighbourhoods but but not rich (like number 3-5) .20-50 Mb fiber is cheap compared to ADSL

elvis_presley

Expert Member
More like top Suburbs where all the rich people live that can afford fast fibre packages.
I was speaking to some Vuma guys, and they said interest/uptake in the mid-upper suburbs is the best right now, strangely! I think they're going to concentrate on those quite a bit more.

Don't need to be rich to get decent fiber anymore. The bottleneck is community interest and getting enough people to sign that "I'm interested!" form.

Sapphiron

Centadel
Company Rep
I was speaking to some Vuma guys, and they said interest/uptake in the mid-upper suburbs is the best right now, strangely! I think they're going to concentrate on those quite a bit more.

Don't need to be rich to get decent fiber anymore. The bottleneck is community interest and getting enough people to sign that "I'm interested!" form.
It's not that unusual actually. It seems to be the trend internationally. Middle income neighbourhoods have smaller properties, so the density of customers per km of trenching is much higher, while the revenue stays about the same.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
"Green Point, Sea Point, and Camps Bay" These areas were some of the first to get fiber in CT, roll-out is pretty much done. I expect TV, Blouberg and parklands to be on it soon, considering it has about 50% of the neighborhood on fiber. Bothasig, Edgemead and Panorama as well soon.

This test is kind of meaningless though, if you can get fiber, chances are that it's cost that prohibits you, not the infrastructure.

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
I certainty wasn't getting 21 Mbps in Bedfordview most of the time while I was was on ADSL even though I was paying for a 30 Mbps Telkom line. On the rare occasion I got it and maybe a little bit more.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
You just need to show the Vumatel footprint and say "these are the fastest suburbs". This is a binary operation.
Vumatel, in spite of their aerial rollouts making neighbourhoods looking like townships, are liberating access to fibre.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Fibre doesn't cost any more than any other connection;

In fact - 100gig on a 20meg LTE connection is more than a 100g on a 20gig Fibre connection.

The entry level Fibre packages are cheaper than ADSL now.

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
Fibre doesn't cost any more than any other connection;

In fact - 100gig on a 20meg LTE connection is more than a 100g on a 20gig Fibre connection.

The entry level Fibre packages are cheaper than ADSL now.
Thats just proving my point. The heading in the article is saying "Top 10 suburbs for fast internet speeds". I can get faster speeds than those listed through my Vuma fibre, and so can many others. Using Average speeds for suburbs just shows those areas dont necessarily have the fastest internet, they have the people that are willing to fork out more for internet.