Top ADSL and Fibre ISPs in South Africa

Dan C

Honorary Master
Well done Telkom :p I haven't used my telkom dsl account in years. Only kept it for the integrated SIM... not sure if it's now even worth it.

McT

The Humble Scot!

Skerminkel

Expert Member
...Where is CISP?
Dont trust this where is Cool Ideas? ....
Assume that CISP is the acronym for Cool Ideas. If so, why weren't they in the list. Good question. ...
So, how are things in the CISP marketing department today?

As the man said:
Only ISPs which received a significant number of responses were listed.

McT

The Humble Scot!
So, how are things in the CISP marketing department today?

As the man said:
By assumption, Cool Ideas didn't get the numbers in survey responses. Would have been interesting to see how their customers rated the ISP.

Petec

Expert Member
And this is why teh interwebs and social platforms, such as this forum, are SO epic.
Perfect example this thread, of both sides of a topic of opinion coming to light.
The traditional mainstream, and then the people on the ground, opinions.
Casual new observers are thus able to gain access to all the info, and make an informed decision if they so choose to.
Social anthropology at it's best.

Izayoi

Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me if the capped adsl from axxess is throttled or shaped in any way? Do you get full speed at night during their free period? I only found info about their uncapped accounts when I researched. From what I can tell, I could get a 10mbps line and 80 gigs for cheaper than I pay for my current Telkom 4mbps 40 gig package. If I'm mistaken, please correct me.

waylander

Expert Member
Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me if the capped adsl from axxess is throttled or shaped in any way? Do you get full speed at night during their free period? I only found info about their uncapped accounts when I researched. From what I can tell, I could get a 10mbps line and 80 gigs for cheaper than I pay for my current Telkom 4mbps 40 gig package. If I'm mistaken, please correct me.
Not advertised as throttled of shaped, but could experience symptoms similar due to a congested network. Right now, Axxess capped is pretty solid, but as the wheel-of-schit-ISPs turns that may change. Best to buy a small capped account (they give free 1GB accounts) to test.

jdido87

I have for the past few nights tried Webafrica, Axxess and have capped accounts with Vox and Afrihost (shaped). All been pretty terrible. Downloading Kodi (80mb) takes very well over a hour, touching two. My net monitor show downstream speeds are just over 30KB/s yet I can stream have multiple youtube streams open. Even stream youtube in HD is seemless but let my just try and download a file. I had a Crystal Web account but that was shyte. I really hope hope Vox sorts themselves out as they have been the most reliable for out of the lot I have used thus far. Its like all of them suddenly have capacity issues, hell i am even toying with the idea of getting a Telkom account.

DeathStrike

Expert Member
Not sure which option to take now...

trying to choose between axxess and vox. thoughts?

I have a 10mb adsl line if that helps.

Vsdgkk

Hey, ive just cancelled my webafrica account as their service has been absolutely disgusting. Im shocked to see their rating here actually.

In terms of fibre to the home openserve, which ISP do you guys think is best to deal with? I was thinking of VOX or CrystalW, i see there seems to be some hate for CW (unless thats plain sarcasm?). I have never heard of CISP before either, are the mentions of it because the service and line quality is very good?

a-person

Expert Member
Hi guys I'm currently shopping around for a bandwidth account as I have a telkom 10mb line and a telkom uncapped account.

Within the first 50gb my total torrent speed has dropped to a maximum of 120kbps.

Additionally if I browse on my phone or PC it is slow I have to halve the max download speed on uTorrent to get anywhere.

:rolleyes:

Looking a WA 400gb capped account. Anyone tried the Crystal Web 250gb capped package?

I mostly do stream/game/torrent