DJ...

Banned
Any statistical methodology in these stats to reduce statistical variance?

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
So who won the giveaway? I'm glad Mweb got a ranking they deserve. It's a shame that they've become so horrible.

garp

Executive Member
After the ongoing debacle that the IPC switch was for Afrihost starting in 2012 and continuing well into 2013 I strongly object to their presence at the top of this list. Yes, they are stable now and offer value for money but I will not soon forget the 8 months of hell they put my company and clients through while they continuously promised it would get better.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
After the ongoing debacle that the IPC switch was for Afrihost starting in 2012 and continuing well into 2013 I strongly object to their presence at the top of this list. Yes, they are stable now and offer value for money but I will not soon forget the 8 months of hell they put my company and clients through while they continuously promised it would get better.

So they should be penalised forever more because you were once unhappy with them? They promised you that it would be better and it did get better. My Afrihost business account is unshaped 24/7 and costs the same as Mweb's crappy shaped and throttled Premium service.

When you're receiving poor service for months on end, don't you think a change is necessary? You could have just bailed on Afrihost and returned when things returned to normal. I know plenty of people that did that.

garp

Executive Member
So they should be penalised forever more because you were once unhappy with them? They promised you that it would be better and it did get better. My Afrihost business account is unshaped 24/7 and costs the same as Mweb's crappy shaped and throttled Premium service.

When you're receiving poor service for months on end, don't you think a change is necessary? You could have just bailed on Afrihost and returned when things returned to normal. I know plenty of people that did that.

It was not that easy for us to switch at the time and they kept stringing everyone along with promises that it would be resolved imminently. Once bitten, twice shy.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
It was not that easy for us to switch at the time and they kept stringing everyone along with promises that it would be resolved imminently. Once bitten, twice shy.

And you let them spin lines for 8 months?

I've been on Afrihost business for 11 months and it's been amazing the entire time. Fast, unshaped, well priced and reliable - just how I like my internet.

Necuno

Court Jester

I've been on Afrihost business for 11 months and it's been amazing the entire time. Fast, unshaped, well priced and reliable - just how I like my internet.

Spin lines?

Gatecrasher

Executive Member
What is the point of an "Average" score?

The average is a totally meaningless metric because it infers that each of Value, Network, Billing, Support and Overall has equal weight, which is preposterous.

Surely Overall Satisfaction is how these ISPs should be ranked. The "average" should be consigned to the silly bin.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
What is the point of an "Average" score?

The average is a totally meaningless metric because it infers that each of Value, Network, Billing, Support and Overall has equal weight, which is preposterous.

Surely Overall Satisfaction is how these ISPs should be ranked. The "average" should be consigned to the silly bin.
This is a fair argument. The challenge is to rank ISPs, and to start to weigh components is challenging (what does one base the weights on).

Another concern is that the survey is based on perception rather than actual performance. I think in the next survey we may drop some components.

wingnut771

Honorary Master

+ 1 million

wingnut771

Honorary Master

+1

That's what I did, but instead, I didn't return as I have no faith because the SUCK at forecasting to make sure supply meets demand. It's happened twice now with them since the move.

Last edited:

wingnut771

Honorary Master

Business would be excluded from this situation.

KikzAzz

Switched from WebAfrica to Afrhost and has not regretted it for a single moment. Very happy with the service that I receive from Afrihost. I am on a 4Mb business line.

grapjas

Another concern is that the survey is based on perception rather than actual performance. I think in the next survey we may drop some components.

That would be very interesting. I moved from Afrihost 6 or so months ago because downloading 1mb files were impossible and anything but watching youtube was painful.
Its very strange to see their network being rated at 7.2 and Telkom Internet that I have now (All downloads and browsing maxxing out my line at any time of day) gets rated a 4.9.

Flywheel

Honorary Master
Uncapped isn't throttled - It's shaped according to network demand.