Top ADSL ISP in South Africa: consumer survey

Totempole

Expert Member
Well, I can't say these results were unexpected.

MWEB: I've never been an M-Web customer, but I've heard nothing but praise from the average internet user.

Afrihost: My favourite ISP: Awesome promotions, great pricing, excellent service, but their consumer uncapped offering is somewhat disappointing

Cybersmart: well, they can't seem to get anything right first time, but in my experience, they've always fixed their mistakes. There pricing is also pretty good, but they need to offer a wider variety of packages.
1GB or 10GB seem to be the only options on their website.

Vox/Lantic: These guys don't seem to care much about the consumer, and seem to be more focused on
businesses, their support levels suck (for lack of a better word).
I contacted @lantic regarding an issue with my Kaspersky AV which I'm getting from them (The "orb" turned
red and told me my virus database was obsolete and updates were failing). I was told by the support agent
that my licence key has probably been stolen and blacklisted. I knew this was a load of crap, and later found out that all I needed to do was reboot.

poorestguy

MWEB seems to have waay more customers as well.but they are the best in uncapped solutions, no doubt about that.

Fishzn

I'm pretty happy about these results - I reckon the conclusion we can draw from the results are fairly accurate! Respect to Mweb, Afrihost and Openweb - I've used all three of them and they are the best out there nowadays!

buyeye

Expert Member
Twice as many people voted excellent service from mweb than any other ISP'S . I'm sure Telkom has a large user base but it seems they weren't bothered to vote.

Gatecrasher

Executive Member
It is noteworthy that not a single ISP surveyed received a score below the average (3), clearly showing that ADSL subscribers are typically happy with the service levels they receive from their ISP.
Well, thanks to competition in this area, not many people will stick around with a substandard ISP, especially not MyBB forumites.

Well done MWEB, a few years ago we would have seen you near the bottom of the list.

boswald

And here I sit at 5:19 and WebAfrica is behaving like a piece of ****. I am trying to transfer files from my hosting solution with them (on their network) and on a 4mb like I am getting 3.2k :| yet everytime I speak to them they keep telling me nothing is wrong.

edit: Now it is just timing out. SpeedTest is giving me normal speeds though

sigh...

iCare

interesting poll. No surprises on the top end of the 'best ISP'. I would have guessed Afrihost would have taken the topspot

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
It's amazing how Mweb managed to turn their company image around.

RaptorSA

Expert Member
Wow, didn't expect this.
It's good to know I don't have to switch from Mweb...
The only thing I HATE about Mweb is that crappy site of theirs. From what I've seen the Afrihost Clientzone site looks and works the best, but as long as I don't have any issues (which I almost never do) it's OK.

Take note Mweb, as for speeds etc. I can't really complain.
But don't stop there. My 6Mb line runs on average at about 3.5 - 4.5Mb with downloads etc.
You can still do better :)

Last edited:

Sting

Ghost in the Machine
It was interesting to read the comments posted on the various ISP's threads.

There still appears to be mass confusion when differentiating between the network operators and ISP's and who influences which part of the service.

RPM should possibly have provided a link to his article where MWeb explained this --> http://mybroadband.co.za/news/adsl/43537-adsl-speeds-slow.html

Many folks (even some regulars) complained about latency, download speeds, network downtimes, congestion, etc. that has nothing to do with the ISPs but everything to do with the network operators.

nelwa

Expert Member
If I'm not mistaken Web Africa performed better in previous surveys...they better start improving or they might lose some market share.

RaptorSA

Expert Member
The top ones are all still pretty great though.
Most hated question from my friends: "Which ISP should I take?" :wtf:

MFour

Expert Member
Disappointing that Web Africa did not do better, but then I guess it is a true reflection of what people thought they would get from a WA uncapped account, and what the reality of uncapped in SA. We simply don't have a true uncapped deal from any SA ISPs. Unless of course you are willing and able to sell a kidney to afford a true and unrestricted uncapped product.

I tried MWEB when it launched, and for me it was totally hopeless at the time. Tried their very expensive unshaped uncapped, which was great, but i ran out of kidneys and had to change. WA to the rescue with their RedAfrica accounts, giving me some time to grow a couple of new kidneys. From comments i am very hesitant to go for any uncapped account available from any ISP at the moment. I simply don't think it will be worth the money for my intended use.

Joker

Expert Member
I'm surprised WA didn't do better - I've tried almost all the ISPs in that list, and by far they've been the better experience overall.

MFour

Expert Member
I'm surprised WA didn't do better - I've tried almost all the ISPs in that list, and by far they've been the better experience overall.
Agreed, but I can't help wondering whether it is not just a case that people expected far too much from a WA uncapped account, given their excellent history? Hoping it would be better than experiences elsewhere, just to find that uncapped simply is not uncapped, regardless of the ISP (excluding the unshaped expensive accounts).

Roadrunner

Expert Member
Interesting observation:

Most people (not all) that are happy with WebAfrica's service, are from Cape Town. Proximity definitely seems to play a factor here.

Up here in PTA, we battle with SLOW speeds on a daily basis.