Top ANC members want Zuma to step down – Report

ProfA

Honorary Master
LOL. He won't step down. And the party will not force him to. This is simply a show for the media. *fight back* *ambushed* *fierce*.....it's written like a soap opera.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Interesting
Something that popped out for me:

NEC members were absent from the meeting on Saturday as they were attending Ekurhuleni Mayor Mzwandile Masina’s wedding in Stellenbosch.

Surely the mayor should be supporting local industry for his function?

3WA

Honorary Master
Really interesting take from Ranjeni Munusamy over at the Daily Maverick this morning... If she has her facts straight, this could be a little more serious for uJacob than I thought.

http://www.dailymaverick.co.za/arti...-the-ropes-as-anc-tactical-manoeuvre-unfolds/

More likely that the anti-Zuma faction is getting desperate. Assuming that the anti-Zuma NEC members are honest and want at least some good governance, maybe they know there's a reshuffle coming up in which they'll lose all their power to Zupta cronies, along with control of the treasury. That article focuses on Zuma's end-game, but it's end-game time for the "honest" faction too.

sox63

Executive Member
Really interesting take from Ranjeni Munusamy over at the Daily Maverick this morning... If she has her facts straight, this could be a little more serious for uJacob than I thought.

http://www.dailymaverick.co.za/arti...-the-ropes-as-anc-tactical-manoeuvre-unfolds/

That 36% that is undecided or unknown will be bought imo. But I agree with the sentiment that this is not the final card to be played. If Zuma fires the NEC members that spoke out, an ANC initiated vote of no confidence would be the way to go.

I just wish the opposition parties stop trying to preempt this and let it happen.

yebocan

Honorary Master
Will be surprised if he gets recalled...but his safe place aint safe anymore...most likely will force the ANC to reach out to opposition parties and collapse his government via a vote of no confidence. All in all, his days and *** are numbered.

greg0205

Honorary Master
More likely that the anti-Zuma faction is getting desperate. Assuming that the anti-Zuma NEC members are honest and want at least some good governance, maybe they know there's a reshuffle coming up in which they'll lose all their power to Zupta cronies, along with control of the treasury. That article focuses on Zuma's end-game, but it's end-game time for the "honest" faction too.

Yep, agree. But I think they've weighed up their options... Zuma can reshuffle cabinet, but he can't oust 'em from the NEC. The party select the NEC by vote.

Bottom line is if they fail this weekend and Zuma responds with a reshuffle, the 36 we know who oppose him would need 18 more votes in a parliamentary vote of no confidence to boot his ass. Those are really tight margins for our brother leader.

3WA

Honorary Master
Yep, agree. But I think they've weighed up their options... Zuma can reshuffle cabinet, but he can't oust 'em from the NEC. The party select the NEC by vote.

Bottom line is if they fail this weekend and Zuma responds with a reshuffle, the 36 we know who oppose him would need 18 more votes in a parliamentary vote of no confidence to boot his ass. Those are really tight margins for our brother leader.

It's a dizzying prospect - actually getting rid of the parasite. I wonder if the Guptas have enough cash to keep EVERY ANC parliamentarian on their side.

ProfA

Honorary Master
It's a dizzying prospect - actually getting rid of the parasite. I wonder if the Guptas have enough cash to keep EVERY ANC parliamentarian on their side.

They have more than enough.

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master
I can see why the ANC is called a liberation movement .... they are trying to free themselves from themselves ....

Silly silly thing African politics.

grok

Honorary Master
I wouldn't trust anything she writes.

Mind expanding on why you wouldn't trust anything she writes?

She used to be pro-Zuma then turned against him as far as I know, and ngwe has never forgiven her for that.

Ironic that ngwe & Ranjeni were both partly responsible for saddling us with the Zuma abomination in the first place.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
That 36% that is undecided or unknown will be bought imo. But I agree with the sentiment that this is not the final card to be played. If Zuma fires the NEC members that spoke out, an ANC initiated vote of no confidence would be the way to go.

I just wish the opposition parties stop trying to preempt this and let it happen.

Zuma can't fire people from the NEC. They're elected at the national congress by delegates who represent the branches, AFAIK.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
She used to be pro-Zuma then turned against him as far as I know, and ngwe has never forgiven her for that.

Ironic that ngwe & Ranjeni were both partly responsible for saddling us with the Zuma abomination in the first place.

Ahhhh makes lots of sense then... Thanks chaps...

sox63

Executive Member
Zuma can't fire people from the NEC. They're elected at the national congress by delegates who represent the branches, AFAIK.
Sorry, I meant fire the NEC members that spoke out and are in his Cabinet

Zarkon

I won't be surprised if he is removed,it will be a tactical move to show their followers "We are listening to you".

I just figured it will be closer to the 2019 vote,possibly early 2018.

Removing him just before the campaigning starts.

daveza

Honorary Master
“The advice of his father came back to him, never to take your eyes off a wounded boar: that once you
engaged an animal in the hunt, you must fight it to the finish, and that when a boar was wounded, that was when it the most dangerous animal of all. That thought nagged at him.”

― C.S. Pacat, Captive Prince: Volume Two

It is amazing what can be achieved when there is no escape. Whether born out of loyalty or desperation, employees gain focus and determination when business survival is at stake. ‘Without waiting to be marshalled’, they will give their last to the cause. ‘If there is no place of refuge, they will stand firm ’

― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Zuma and his cronies will not go quietly.