Top ANC members want Zuma to step down – Report

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Source: http://mg.co.za/article/2016-11-28-president-jacob-zumas-backers-rush-to-the-presidents-defence-at-ancnec
Magashule, a close Zuma ally, was amongst those who defended the embattled ANC president. He suggested that those who supported a motion against him, should voluntarily resign from their positions in cabinet and the executive or be kicked out as it would be difficult for them to serve under someone whom they have lost confidence in. Magashule told ANC leaders he had served under two ANC presidents - Nelson Mandela and Thabo Mbeki and had never come across a situation where ministers would push a motion of no confidence against someone who has appointed them. He told Zuma not to allow such a situation under his leadership and that he must remove those who supported the motion from his cabinet and the executive.

R13...

Honorary Master
TBH I would expect all those in favour of his removal to resign if their motion fails.
Which will be sad as it just allows Zuma to surround himself with only self serving yes men whose only interest is accumulation

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member
TBH I would expect all those in favour of his removal to resign if their motion fails.

The problem with them resigning is that then there will be no more internal resistance, the only mechanism left are external forces. And we know how effective and independent those external forces are at counter balancing against the ANC.

sox63

Executive Member

Typical Magashule tactics, cross us and you're out.

The irony of all this is that the Zuma camp has been using the "use ANC structures to express unhappiness" card for ages. Now that someone does exactly that, they want to bully them.

I have been thinking of the possible scenarios that might play out from today. All lead to fracture of the ANC in some shape or form. Because is the motion fails in the NEC and the 50 odd ANC MPs vote with the opposition, they are surely screwed and out of the ANC afterwards.

Alternatively, they manage to secretly or otherwise vote Zuma to be recalled, the Zuma power Base in the provinces won't take it lying down.

C4Cat

Honorary Master

I don't think that it's necessary for them to resign from the ANC or NEC but it is important that they resign from government, if they are members of parliament or whatever.

They are in government as representatives of their party, if they don't agree with the majority party view they must either tow the line or resign. However, debate internal to the party should be fine and encouraged. The NEC dictates policy and robust debate must be the norm here.

Cius

Executive Member
All I can say is thank goodness for greed. Greed always shows. Crooks are almost never caught on their first crime, its way down the road that they get caught as they can't help themselves. This is the battle that Zuma is really fighting. He paid off a wall of high ranking people to defend him but as he get more and more embattled the bribes had to be spread more and more thinly and now there are key people in that wall who are getting less than they feel they deserve who can get more from defecting away from him to the other ANC factions. Make no mistake though, all the ANC factions are corrupt at some level. Patronage and business links are such an embedded part of the ANC now that I doubt there is a single senior leader who is fully clean. Some are cleaner than others but all are tainted.

So like I said, thank goodness for greed. That is what will bring Zuma and in a few more years the ANC down. Greedy people fighting over the remaining money available to loot. There is no honour amoung thieves.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Typical Magashule tactics, cross us and you're out.

The irony of all this is that the Zuma camp has been using the "use ANC structures to express unhappiness" card for ages. Now that someone does exactly that, they want to bully them.

I have been thinking of the possible scenarios that might play out from today. All lead to fracture of the ANC in some shape or form. Because is the motion fails in the NEC and the 50 odd ANC MPs vote with the opposition, they are surely screwed and out of the ANC afterwards.

Alternatively, they manage to secretly or otherwise vote Zuma to be recalled, the Zuma power Base in the provinces won't take it lying down

Of course they won't but at least the ANC can start the process of rebuilding the party sans the majority of the KZN support base because they've always supported Zuma and not the ANC, as for the other provinces the ANC is good, Magashule, Mabuza and Supra are not much of a threat to the ANC.

sox63

Executive Member
ANN7 reporting no voting took place on the motion and members were asked if they wanted Zuma to step down. Fat chance of that happening...

Also saw tweets the presidential motorcade leaving the venue

f2wohf

Honorary Master
ANN7 reporting no voting took place on the motion and members were asked if they wanted Zuma to step down. Fat chance of that happening...

Also saw tweets the presidential motorcade leaving the venue

The motorcade is probably Ramaphosa since he left the meeting short before the motorcade exiting.

R13...

Honorary Master
I don't think that it's necessary for them to resign from the ANC or NEC but it is important that they resign from government, if they are members of parliament or whatever.

They are in government as representatives of their party, if they don't agree with the majority party view they must either tow the line or resign. However, debate internal to the party should be fine and encouraged. The NEC dictates policy and robust debate must be the norm here.

I hope the final decision comes down to what the outcome of debating the motion rather than people just sleeping and waiting to be woken up when it is voting time. The likes of Magashule are the sort who are deaf to anything that threatens their continued looting and control of state resources. Funny how it is the most corrupt ridden provinces who are firmly lodged in Zuma's rear. Magashule and Mabuza are real hyenas, they'll murder to protect continued to state resources.

R13...

Honorary Master
Of course they won't but at least the ANC can start the process of rebuilding the party sans the majority of the KZN support base because they've always supported Zuma and not the ANC, as for the other provinces the ANC is good, Magashule, Mabuza and Supra are not much of a threat to the ANC.

I've always wondered what Zuma's slate will do if he gets recalled before the end of this term. I personally think it'll result in a further split in KZN with some wanting to position themselves for position in the in-favour slate. As we know KZN always purged those seen as Zuma's opponents recently. They will never leave the ANC though, it is far too profitable in there.

f2wohf

Honorary Master
I hope the final decision comes down to what the outcome of debating the motion rather than people just sleeping and waiting to be woken up when it is voting time. The likes of Magashule are the sort who are deaf to anything that threatens their continued looting and control of state resources. Funny how it is the most corrupt ridden provinces who are firmly lodged in Zuma's rear. Magashule and Mabuza are real hyenas, they'll murder to protect continued to state resources.

Magashule was the one who promoted Hlaudi... It says enough on the character.
http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/investigation-king-hlaudis-rise-to-power-20160923

3WA

Honorary Master
I've always wondered what Zuma's slate will do if he gets recalled before the end of this term. I personally think it'll result in a further split in KZN with some wanting to position themselves for position in the in-favour slate. As we know KZN always purged those seen as Zuma's opponents recently. They will never leave the ANC though, it is far too profitable in there.

Couple the split with political assassinations. I don't see an honest government ever taking root in KZN ever again. Every honest man in politics will be killed.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
How is it 30 to 34 when there are 104 members in the NEC ?

Or they don't count the members who didn't express themselves and that statement therefore means nothing as the ones against him will always speak louder than his supporters who have to do nothing in order for him to remain in power.

http://www.anc.org.za/officials/national-executive-committee-0
14 yet to speak out

http://www.702.co.za/articles/234396/anc-nec-members-debate-zuma-stepping-down

Also you're assuming that they're all present, which is probably not the case...