Madhawk

Honorary Master
Nothing beats a SLR with interchangeable lenses. I pick the Nikon D600.

BANG_Mutha

I'm tired of reading about what Aki and Jannie think is a good gadget...RPM, please consider stopping these kind of articles.

EchoOne

I'm tired of reading about what Aki and Jannie think is a good gadget...RPM, please consider stopping these kind of articles.

Then there is Toby *sticks tongue down throat*

Anyways quite impressed that Jannie picked the RX1, most people are too dof to realise just what a fantastic camera it is. Steve of Steves digicams fame put it best when he reviewed the camera on amazon.com

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I'd love to see some examples of the images the tech experts took with their respective choices. Proof being in the eating of the pudding and all that.

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
Then there is Toby *sticks tongue down throat*

Anyways quite impressed that Jannie picked the RX1, most people are too dof to realise just what a fantastic camera it is. Steve of Steves digicams fame put it best when he reviewed the camera on amazon.com

Strong talk from a noob.

Crowley

Executive Member

In case you haven't noticed mybb has a whole series on all their top hardware. If you don't like it then don't read it.

I'm no camera expert but I would have gone for the Cyber-shot RX1 as well, just because it is easier to use for none professionals.

Beri

Expert Member
Enough already. Guru my ass. How can you pic something you did not use.

Pixual

Expert Member
Seriously? This is just 100% rubbish. Not one of those 3 are even in contention for "Best Of 2012" from people who actually have more than a passing interest in cameras.

The Olympus OM-D E-M5 was undoubtedly the best release of the year. Hard to find a journalist in the photography realm who would disagree with that.

Rocket-Boy

Honorary Master

^this
I have to question the actual competence of some of the "experts" choosing these things.

rrh

Expert Member
No mention of the Leica M9-P.
More pandering to the poor

Well Aki chose the Nikon D600 which - at R22,995.00 (OrmsDirect) for the body alone - he classifies as the first affordable DSLR on the market.

He'd probably classify the Leica - at R77,000.00 - as "slightly expensive" :)

Pixual

Expert Member
D600 was the biggest disappointment of the year. D700 users in their legions are still waiting for an upgrade from Nikon. Neither the D600 or D800 are worthy replacements.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
No mention of the Leica M9-P.
More pandering to the poor
TIPA did

The Olympus OM-D E-M5 was undoubtedly the best release of the year. Hard to find a journalist in the photography realm who would disagree with that.
TIPA didnt.
Well Aki chose the Nikon D600 which - at R22,995.00 (OrmsDirect) for the body alone - he classifies as the first affordable DSLR on the market.

He'd probably classify the Leica - at R77,000.00 - as "slightly expensive" :)
No, he classified it as the first affordable "full frame" DSLR - big difference

Last edited:

BeVonk!

Executive Member
The NEX-6 is not a compact DSLR camera. It is a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera.

Aki now a top camera boffin too.

Affordable is more like the Canon 600D/650D. Maybe that is what he was actually talking about because the Nikon D600 is most def not an affordable DSLR for most people. But 702 must be paying well ... or is it another freebie to a "top expert" that = affordable?

I'd far rather Bwana and the photographic gurus active on here tell me what is the best for 2012 than a guy famous for his traffic reports doubling as a tech expert.

BeVonk!

Executive Member
RPM, please choose a few categories and let forumites propose and vote for the best tech at the end of each year. This tech expert nonsense doesn't stick. That is the beauty of the new social media world we live in. Anyone can participate and get and publish info freely. We learn to trust forumites' opinions far more as we cross swords all the time and the trust gauge goes up or down in the process. Use that power this forum has and stop telling us what Aki likes. Here in CT we don't care about Aki's opinions.