Top Cape school that fired first black teacher gets its first black principal

thechamp

Honorary Master
Rustenburg Girls' Junior School in Cape Town, which was embroiled in a race row for firing its only black teacher, is getting a black principal. Belinda Petersen, principal of Ottery Road Methodist Primary School, will take over in July. A notice sent to Rustenburg parents this week said Petersen was selected for her "well-rounded experience in education and leadership development capabilities". The selection process saw a panel of teachers, school governors, trade unions and a Western Cape education department representative "working tirelessly into the night and over weekends", said the notice.

Petersen's vision was to "encourage and create a connected culture where building relationships, understanding others and giving everyone a voice is key", it added. "She believes in creating space for partnerships that encourage a spirit of purpose, positivity and possibility." The appointment comes four months after the school was embroiled in a race row when it forced its first black teacher, Nozipho Mthembu, to resign. Mthembu, who was employed by the school governing body, went to the commission for conciliation, mediation and arbitration (CCMA), demanding compensation following what she called consistent unpleasant treatment.

The 26-year-old, who won the CCMA case, said the school singled her out for a mentorship programme that left her more traumatised than supported.
https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/so...black-teacher-gets-its-first-black-principal/

zizo911

Executive Member
Well technically, she's coloured. But I guess thats good enough. She actually a good principal, besides her being coloured.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Journalist trying to use american rules in SA context.
Bee rules. Everyone not a white male gets some points. Everyone not white is a person of colour or black if you want to score some political points.

Daruk

Honorary Master
I have no idea why this is significant. What does the one (firing) have to do with the other (appointment)? They're both black, ergo someone's fuzzy logic kicked in and assumed these events are connected or significant?

Why they didn't just go the whole hog and pen it under the headline
"Black principal gets a new job"

Gee, I wonder if her old school will now get a white principal. Die skande.

Grant

Honorary Master
The selection process saw a panel of teachers, school governors, trade unions and a Western Cape education department representative "working tirelessly into the night and over weekends", said the notice.
so all worked together and came to a conclusion.

journalist trying to sensationalize a non-event

thechamp

Honorary Master
Well technically, she's coloured. But I guess thats good enough. She actually a good principal, besides her being coloured.
I don't know her but I never had a reason to doubt her, I guess your assurance is good to those who assume all AA appointments to be incompetent.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I see this happening a lot on the forum, is it autocorrect or did my English teacher fail to teach me that the word can be used interchangeably with the other one?
In this case I had a red squiggly line and let the browser autocorrect. and it choose the wrong option, now corrected.

Last edited: