Top computing brands among SA techies

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
])ragon_\/oid;15517282 said:
I expected that more people would prefer AMD. I was expecting more like 40 percent.

Not really in South Africa due to the giant mark-up. If it was priced more like in the states, then yes, AMD.
(assuming you mean CPUs)

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Always wonder about these surveys... how many people just go with what they know as opposed to it actually being their 'favourite'.

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master
So, the ideal is a Dell, with a Samsung monitor, Intel cpu, Seagate hard drive and an HP printer ...... :)

If you have a Samsung pc, AOC monitor, AMD cpu, kingston drive coupled to a Xerox printer ..... you are fekked :eek:

Edit - wonder about the gpu - I think there was a question on this too .... Nvidia?

])ragon_\/oid

Expert Member
So, the ideal is a Dell, with a Samsung monitor, Intel cpu, Seagate hard drive and an HP printer ...... :)

If you have a Samsung pc, AOC monitor, AMD cpu, kingston drive coupled to a Xerox printer ..... you are fekked :eek:

Edit - wonder about the gpu - I think there was a question on this too .... Nvidia?

Yup, I recall a question about GPU's as well. Nvidia should come in second to AMD/ATI here.

fruitbat

Expert Member
And weren't a lot of seagate drives tops for failures on the HDD failure article in recent weeks?

Pitbull

Verboten
])ragon_\/oid;15517464 said:
Yup, I recall a question about GPU's as well. Nvidia should come in second to AMD/ATI here.

Agreed. I have an AMD but purely based on price. If price was not an issue I would use Nvidia :eek:
You just get so much more on AMD for the same money as with Nvidia.

[XC] Oj101

Dealer
])ragon_\/oid;15517464 said:

They have an 80 % market share but should come... Second? :wtf:

RyanPCMR

Expert Member
It would be nicer to have another article on the internal components like what brand MB, etc. BEE compliance (local brands) :p

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
[XC] Oj101;15517516 said:

Erm, no?

51% Nvidea
19% Intel
28% AMD
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Also have to take into account when looking at all those cards, except for the GTX970 most of those cards are older. So not many upgrading their cards anymore.
Currently AMD is best price/performance in South Africa and the states.

EDIT: Actually Intel has the highest marketshare :p

])ragon_\/oid

Expert Member
[XC] Oj101;15517516 said:

Remember, this survey was for MyBB members, and it was based off what people like. So realistically, AMD might have a good chance here.

absynth

Expert Member
I changed from Samsung to LG monitor wise.
Much happier.Granted the LG is IPS,but I had enough of the muddy colours of Samsung.

])ragon_\/oid

Expert Member
[XC] Oj101;15517580 said:
ViewSonic is tricky to get in SA, I reckon most people here have never even seen one first hand. I'm surprised ASUS did so poorly TBH.

Issue with Asus is pricing.

rubber_otter

Expert Member
])ragon_\/oid;15517282 said:
I expected that more people would prefer AMD. I was expecting more like 40 percent.

40% ?!

You didn't mean 4%, did you? Because that is close to what AMD holds worldwide? Saffers like AMD more than most countries imo.

])ragon_\/oid;15517594 said:
Issue with Asus is pricing.

Also, you know, the quality.

[XC] Oj101

Dealer
Erm, no?

51% Nvidea
19% Intel
28% AMD
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Also have to take into account when looking at all those cards, except for the GTX970 most of those cards are older. So not many upgrading their cards anymore.
Currently AMD is best price/performance in South Africa and the states.

EDIT: Actually Intel has the highest marketshare :p

Nope that's just going by the Steam survey. Look at units sold, for 2014Q4 (the latest figures released by JPR) NVIDIA had 76 % of the desktop market. In the professional market (Quadro, FirePro) NVIDIA is sitting at 74 %. Intel can't really be counted it's integrated into the CPU, and you're not going to choose integrated graphics over a discrete card unless you don't have space, money or power availability to run one, or you play older/indie games that run fine on onboard. Even then I'm sure a lot of people using integrated would love a discrete card instead.