Top KZN cop faked matric certificate

intel8080

Banned
A KwaZulu-Natal police spokesman has resigned amid allegations that he has an invalid matric certificate, the SA Police Service said on Thursday.

Colonel Jay Naicker said the allegations against Colonel Vincent Mdunge surfaced when the criminal and academic records of SAPS employees were checked.

"During the verification of qualifications process allegations surfaced that the matric certificate of Colonel Vincent Mdunge, who is based in the provincial headquarters, was not valid," he said.

"Following a thorough investigation the provincial commissioner [Lt-Gen Mmamonnye Ngobeni] took a decision to institute disciplinary charges against the member.

"The member has since placed notice with the commissioner to resign from the SAPS and his resignation was accepted," said Naicker.

Ngobeni said she was "shaken" by the allegations that were levelled against Mdunge.

"While I worked very closely with the member and there was an element of trust and respect I was filled with a deep sense of disbelief and disappointment when I learnt of the allegation," she said.

"The fact that [he] has chosen to resign from the SAPS is respected."

Naicker said Mdunge had served in the SAPS for 25 years.

As Mdunge had resigned, no internal disciplinary action could be taken against him but a criminal investigation would continue. A case of fraud was being investigated.

Naicker said the verification of SAPS employees was underway and figures on the numbers of employees who had been found to have invalid qualifications were not immediately available.

Mdunge's resignation comes several weeks after national police commissioner Riah Phiyega appointed Maj-Gen Bethuel Zuma as the new provincial commissioner of Gauteng, but withdrew his appointment several hours later after it was revealed that he had pending criminal charges.

Zuma, who is not related to President Jacob Zuma, faces charges of failing to stop when ordered to, drunk driving, attempting to escape from custody, and defeating the ends of justice.

Source : Sapa /nsm/js/jk/jje/ks
Date : 26 Sep 2013 11:24

Last edited by a moderator:

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
KZN MEC worried over Mdunge Affair

The perception that the public is being served by officials with fake qualifications is a serious concern, KwaZulu-Natal community safety MEC Willies Mchunu said on Friday.

He was reacting to reports that KwaZulu-Natal police spokesman Colonel Vincent Mdunge had a faked matric certificate.

"It will be highly regrettable if the impression was to be created that the members of the public were being served by people with faked qualifications," Mchunu said.

"While this matter, at this stage, remains an allegation, we wish to state it for a record that the issue of integrity of people serving the public is of utmost importance to the government."

On Thursday, police said Mdunge had tendered his resignation amid allegations that the 25-year police veteran did not have a valid matric certificate.

Mchunu said: "We place high value on the need for the people serving the public to be of high integrity, good standing and trustworthy."

On Friday the Star newspaper reported that Mdunge had denied his qualification was invalid.

"It is not true that my certificate is fake. I am currently consulting my legal team and will take this to court," Mdunge was quoted as saying.

He said it would have been impossible for him to serve in the police "for 27 years" with an invalid certificate.

On Thursday, Colonel Jay Naicker said the allegations against Mdunge surfaced when the criminal and academic records of SA Police Service employees were checked.

Mdunge subsequently resigned.

Mdunge told The Star's sister newspaper Isolezwe he did not quit because of the pending criminal investigation against him. He claimed it was a coincidence that he resigned at the same time that the allegations surfaced.

On Friday, Naicker told Sapa he did not know of Mdunge's intentions to take the matter to court.

"It's his decision and he doesn't have to notify us of it," said Naicker.

Mdunge could not be reached for comment.

Source : Sapa /js/hdw/ks/jk
Date : 27 Sep 2013 13:19

koeks525

Expert Member
No surprise here. He is probably not the only one in the SAPS with fake qualifications. Holy ****, serving 27 years, with a fake qualification, and the SAPS only realizing it now....eish :(

Mdunge told The Star's sister newspaper Isolezwe he did not quit because of the pending criminal investigation against him. He claimed it was a coincidence that he resigned at the same time that the allegations surfaced.
Yeah right

Celine

Executive Member
so what kind of cop was he? did he perform his duties as was required from him? did he meet all the "standard" requirements that needs be met in the police?

let me tell you something, just because you have a matric certificate or a degree doesn't mean you are the be all and end all of any employment. someone with a "standard" (what's that word they use when someone leaves school before matric), certificate could possibly do the exact same job as you if given the opportunity and shown the ropes. i have seen this happen so often. those with higher qualifications just don't hack it the same as someone who hasn't finished school.

b166er

so what kind of cop was he? did he perform his duties as was required from him? did he meet all the "standard" requirements that needs be met in the police?

let me tell you something, just because you have a matric certificate or a degree doesn't mean you are the be all and end all of any employment. someone with a "standard" (what's that word they use when someone leaves school before matric), certificate could possibly do the exact same job as you if given the opportunity and shown the ropes. i have seen this happen so often. those with higher qualifications just don't hack it the same as someone who hasn't finished school.
Yeah you are right. The only "qualification" you require to work in government is being dishonest, not a basic matric certificate. I think everybody who applies for government should not worry about something as silly as a decent education.

While we are at it, let us hire people for engineering, architecture and medical positions and just "show them the ropes"?

Africaner

When did he fake it? 25 years ago, or last year?
25 years ago - big deal.
He has only a ST-8 certificate. Back then ST.8 meant something and was just fine for a policeman up to the rang of warrant officer. To become a full officer, even in the bad days one needed a matric certificate. The fake happened fairly recently when he went up the ladder. Obviously the police needed him with all the AA pressure on them and did not do a thorough checkup :(

Celine

Executive Member
Yeah you are right. The only "qualification" you require to work in government is being dishonest, not a basic matric certificate. I think everybody who applies for government should not worry about something as silly as a decent education.

While we are at it, let us hire people for engineering, architecture and medical positions and just "show them the ropes"?
not every single job position is that of an engineer, architect or doctor now is it.

intel8080

Banned
not every single job position is that of an engineer, architect or doctor now is it.
Do you really think the jobs you've mentioned do not have rogues among them? WTF, "Affirmative Action" . . . Need I say more?

Easter Bunny

Expert Member
a false qualification of someone who wants to work and genuinely does a good job i can live with. i've been told about lab interns who earn good salaries and they just don't care. absolutely useless. BEE is stealing jobs away from people who want to work and giving it to people who don't care.

i told my wife last night that the best part about this country is the skills shortages. they beg people not to leave, but when those people look for jobs, they don't meet the BEE requirements. how long will the government keep protecting the MAJORITY?

GreyBush

Executive Member
They were speaking about him on east coast radio last week, apparently he was a pretty good cop.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
a false qualification of someone who wants to work and genuinely does a good job i can live with. i've been told about lab interns who earn good salaries and they just don't care. absolutely useless. BEE is stealing jobs away from people who want to work and giving it to people who don't care.

i told my wife last night that the best part about this country is the skills shortages. they beg people not to leave, but when those people look for jobs, they don't meet the BEE requirements. how long will the government keep protecting the MAJORITY?
This is the police though. If the police are not honest, we're ****ed.

Albereth

Honorary Master

This is true.

However, we can't have policemen lying and I think that's the real issue. A fraud was committed.

STS

Mafia Detective

yet everyone thinks they have a qualification in being able to observe what is REALLY happening in our country :p :D

intel8080

Banned
well he joined the SAPS while the Apartheid government was at its core so don't push the blame
What on earth are you trying to say. Say it in your home language. I might have a better chance of understanding it. Anyway, it is irrelevant when he joined. I am sure he was a good worker. The main problem is the corruption conducive condition which has taken hold of the new South Africa. Regardles if you accept it or not, this is a sad fact and it does not look like will go away anytime soon :(