Top smartphone stats in South Africa

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Well I think it's because of BBM and the youth if you look at the list of phones.

SteveO

Expert Member
nope, its the cost of those high end phones.

The top phones are mostly phones that the lower LSM subscribers can afford, are buying second hand or are getting as hand-me-down devices.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
I recently got similar stats from Mxit, and they had "Smartphones (including Blackberry)" as a category - BB are only JUST classified as smartphones these days. I think next year's stats will classify them in the featurephone category.

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
What's really impressive is how Blackberry's managed to keep the position of the Curve family for so long. BBM and BIS certainly contributes to that. I'm also surprised that the E63 made it into the lineup.

View attachment 149796

Damnit Nokia, what happened to you?

Viva

Expert Member
I imagine that Blackberry's current market share is partly due to their success the past couple of years. People hand their phones down, so many phones stay in circulation for longer than two years. Based on the people I know, few who upgrade from a Blackberry upgrade to a new Blackberry. It seems like Samsung, Huawei and Nokia (Lumia) are some of the most popular brands people upgrade to from what I can tell. Then again, the South African average probably differs from this quite a bit.

zaidmo

Looks like there is also a strong demand for Qwerty phones

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Looks like there is also a strong demand for Qwerty phones

As someone mentioned, that's from an existing base - they're not selling many more - the vast majority of the BB users are going full touchphone. It's just a slow decline to irrelevancy from here for BB.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
The only reason Blackberry still dominates in SA is because it's the best value for poor people, of which we have many.

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
Have two Samsung Galaxy Pockets at home. FNB is handing them out like candy to account holders.

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
No surprise really. BB's were really popular phones because of BIS. Things will change in a few years as the old hand-me-down BB's are eventually toast.

What will give a better picture is current sales on phones.

Chevauxza

But... Can Blackberries even be considered "smartphones" compared to the modern equivalent?

BeVonk!

Executive Member
I believe the new Passport and Classic devices will help BlackBerry make a comeback ... and if these hit our shores soon enough BlackBerry may have a fighting chance to stay at the top in SA. I loved the BlackBerry keyboards on the Bold series and welcomes this return to what made BlackBerry good.

SeRpEnT

Executive Member
Somehow the term smartphone doesnt cut it anymore. I would agree that all Blackberry's that can do emails and surf the web can be classified as smartphones. But all phones nowadays are coming out with smartphone features.
One would have to create a new term to distinguish between the top phones and the less talented phones.
What about superphone?