Top South African CS:GO team needs money to stay in the USA

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Get local players for the team?

I recall the argument made that a South African team does not necessarily need South African players.
As much as e-sports are global. Bravado's ideal is to grow e-sports here to be competitive with America and Europe.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
A reserve team maybe.
So the team can be active in qualifiers while the main team get their visas sorted?

Dunno. Probably also too expensive.

Recallza

I've played league before, I know it's lot and lots of playing/training. Still not the same as a job, especially when you need money ;)
I disagree, think of it as going through strats all day long. Then using that hard work and putting it into a competition where teams are obviously more skilled. Once doing that, and winning, the earnings are seen as a salary. :)

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
I would actually stick with my normal job than do this for a living.

I imagine months of playing the same game over and over for 12+ hours a day will make you hate the damn game.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
A reserve team maybe.
So the team can be active in qualifiers while the main team get their visas sorted?

Dunno. Probably also too expensive.
Competitions and leagues have rules that needs to be abided, I am pointing to rosters. There is no 'true' reserve team, but reserve players which are limited to the competition or league rules, also how active they must be.

Boosting isn't allowed.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
Competitions and leagues have rules that needs to be abided, I am pointing to rosters. There is no 'true' reserve team, but reserve players which are limited to the competition or league rules, also how active they must be.

Boosting isn't allowed.
Okay. Thanks, get it now.
I remember Michu for VP was still on 'loan' while Tazz figured his stuff out.
Thought a reserve team could be used the same way.

But then, I don't watch enough to know all the rules.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Okay. Thanks, get it now.
I remember Michu for VP was still on 'loan' while Tazz figured his stuff out.
Thought a reserve team could be used the same way.

But then, I don't watch enough to know all the rules.
For example, this is the ELEAGUE Major Rulebook which applied to Boston 2018,

http://cdn.eleague.com/img/ELEAGUE_Major_Boston_Rulebook.pdf (PDF)

3.0 ELEAGUE Major and the New Challengers stage Formats The ELEAGUE Major tournament will have sixteen (16) teams each consisting of 5 players and one coach/reserve player (each a “Team”) playing in a Swiss-system as further outlined below. Those sixteen (16) Teams will consist of eight (8) Teams with a current roster that includes three or more players who played together and advanced to the quarter-finals in the previous CS:GO Major Championship (each such team, a “Legend Team”) and eight (8) Teams qualifying via the New Challengers stage described in Section 3.2 below (each a “Challenger Team”), in each case subject to availability and compliance with the rules in this rulebook; provided further, the tournament may include teams determined through alternative methods by ELEAGUE management and/or Valve Corporation if necessary.

3.1 Roster Rules: The rules for the New Challengers stage and ELEAGUE Major Tournament are as follows:

- Teams qualifying for the New Challengers stage through a minor (each a “Minor LAN Qualifier Team”) have 48 hours after their minor to register their starting lineup as well as a sixth person who will be their coach/reserve player. This registration is for the ELEAGUE Major if the Team qualifies. No roster changes following registration of the Team roster for the New Challengers stage will be permitted.

- The New Challengers stage invitations will be extended to the teams of exactly five players who played together and placed first or second at one of the preceding Minor Championships.

- Any Player or coach that participated in a Minor (online or offline) cannot change to any other Team participating in the New Challengers stage or ELEAGUE Major in any capacity.

- Deadlines for roster registrations for Minor LAN Qualifier Teams:

• European by October 16, 2017
• Asia by October 11, 2017
• Americas by October 16, 2017
• CIS by October 16, 2017

- Teams receiving a direct invite to The New Challengers stage to be extended to Teams ranking 9-16 in the previous CS:GO Major Championship (each a “Direct LAN Qualifier Team”) have until Tuesday, Nov. 10, at 12 p.m. EST to register their starting lineup as well as the sixth person who will be their coach/reserve player. No roster changes following registration of the Team roster for the New Challengers stage or the ELEAGUE Major (if such Team qualifies) will be permitted (subject to the other terms below). A player or coach who registered for one team in the tournament (including any Minor Championship or Online qualifier preceding the New Challengers stage or ELEAGUE Major) may not play or coach for another team participating in the tournament under any circumstances.

- Direct LAN Qualifier Teams that have been invited to the New Challengers stage due to their previous placement at the previous CS:GO Major Championship must maintain a majority of the lineup from such Major (three or more Players) to keep their slot in the New Challengers stage.

- Legend Teams directly invited to the ELEAGUE Major have until Friday, Nov. 10, at 12:00pm ET to register their starting lineup as well as a sixth person who will be their coach/reserve player. Changes after this deadline are not permitted (subject to the other terms below).

- Legend Teams that have been invited to the ELEAGUE Major due to their previous placement at the previous CS:GO Major Championship must maintain a majority of the lineup from such major (three or more Players) to keep their slot in the ELEAGUE Major.

- Following the start of their first match in a tournament (starting with the Minor Championships or any round after), no roster lineup changes will be permitted for a team. except that a team may make a one-time permanent adjustment to their roster of switching the role of the person initially identified as a coach and one player. For the remainder of the tournament, the coach will be considered a player, and vice versa.
As you can see it is very strict and it completely restricts boosting other than making a one-time permanent switch at coach (and one player). Having two teams, they will have to compete against each other.

ESL and other leagues has their own rulebooks.

ActivateD

Expert Member
Ah man I feel sorry for them and I hope they can raise the capital needed.