Top talent in South Africa is now shrinking: expert

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Perhaps if they started hiring people with skills (and not old boys certs) it might be different. Salaries dont reflect the need yet.

KT-B

Honorary Master
Our workplaces are stressful - not to mention the political situation and economical situation in this country. Companies need to do more than make things "vibrant". They need to understand their employees and the challenges that they face. Communication in organisations is what is currently causing the most stress. Because of financial concerns, companies are not adopting new technologies that will relieve these problems. They are sitting with antiquated versions of software, old business practices, tried and tested processes that are currently flawed because times have changed. Needs have changed. Show me people that have inboxes in their mail programs that only contain stuff relevant to their jobs - we are flooded with spam. Not all junk sadly. People "reply to all" to say thank you.

Microsoft - and Google - have come up with ways to cut this spam down. New programs and ways or working that put all your information in once place. MS has Teams - this allows you to do everything you could possibly want to - send emails, share files, text, video call, create dashboards with a click of a button, project planners that are linked to your projects. Yet companies are sticking to Office 2007 and 2010. Office365/2016 allows you to work anywhere - on any device - and have access to all your data 24/7.

So the problem with SA industry - is Management. They are not able to see that their employees need things simplified. Rather than having to forward emails and files to a new member joining a project/team. You just add them to your team and everything is automatically available. One central location. Being a trainer - I see what companies put their employees through. How they assume because you were trained on Excel 2003 and have been using it ever since - you are fully competent. They do not realise that there are always better and faster and easier ways to do things - and if no one shows you how - you will still spend a whole week doing your reports. Not because you don't know Excel - but because your company has failed to let you learn the faster/smarter methods. No wonder jobs are stressful. No wonder we take work home at night and on weekends.

The problem isn't with the "vibrancy" - it is with the tools we are given to use.

krycor

Honorary Master
It’s gonna get worse as debt needs to be paid and nothing happens to the openly corrupt caught out

ekske1

Expert Member
First in my profession I've heard the following

"..yeah they are kind of short staffed and are looking to plug the holes"

That was another development company in rsa, not small either.

cguy

Expert Member
The salaries don’t reflect the need for top talent. In the survey posted recently, even CIO/CTO salaries barely keep up with fresh-from-university hires at top firms overseas.

Messugga

Honorary Master
The salaries don’t reflect the need for top talent. In the survey posted recently, even CIO/CTO salaries barely keep up with fresh-from-university hires at top firms overseas.
Because the economy is in the crap. There simply isn't enough money to go around.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Perhaps if they started hiring people with skills (and not old boys certs) it might be different. Salaries dont reflect the need yet.
Agree. All this 'brain drain' talk is cheap. If you're paying people who sit on their butts or do very little all day, I say suffer. It'll take a bit to convince me to work for an SA firm again.