Top UCLA Doctor Denounces HBO's "Chernobyl" As Wrong And "Dangerous"

Gordon_R

Executive Member
Scott Manley has done a good video on the physics of the Chernobyl accident. This explains everything that happened before the roof blew off, though nothing about what happened afterwards:

TooFastTim

Expert Member
The surrounding tissue does not receive a dose in the hormetic zone. The hormetic zone is where a low dose has beneficial effects, but there are no such beneficial effects to surrounding tissue from low dose exposure. I'm not aware of any beneficial effects to healthy tissue from low dose radiation exposure, on the contrary, radiation therapy, in its various forms, slightly increases, though not by much, the chance of secondary cancers down the road.
My bad. I skim read the wiki link I posted. I hadn't heard of the effect being thus termed but was very much aware of the effect.

My point about radiotherapy being the science of reducing a therapeautic dose to healthy tissue stands. That dose certainly isn't benign nor is it lethal but it can if deposited incorrectly result in secondary tumours.

Whether there are beneficial effects from continuous exposure to low doses is moot (code for contentious or you could kill your career stuff). If you want to check go to Paarl. Paarl rock is granite and granite is radioactive. AFAIR the background in Paarl is much higher than the surrounds. Personally I've seen a few mutants there ;)

Last edited:

TooFastTim

Expert Member
Glad to hear.

High cost is imposed by government. Same government distortions inhibit the move to much safer meltdown-proof 4G reactors.
Yes, I mentioned this in an earlier posting in this thread. The regulatory costs of anything nuke are insane. Trust me on this one.

TooFastTim

Expert Member
Interesting, I have seen in France they are building a nuclear fusion power station. Is that Flammanville one.
Not a power station but an attempt to a) maintain continuous (as opposed to pulsed) fusion and b), extract more energy than injected into the machine. In other words a proof of concept.

upup

Executive Member
Not a power station but an attempt to a) maintain continuous (as opposed to pulsed) fusion and b), extract more energy than injected into the machine. In other words a proof of concept.
What are they going to do with the energy