Tourist safety under spotlight as SA sees drop in bookings

schumi

Honorary Master
Parliament - Attacks on tourists in South Africa continues to impact on perceptions of the country as a tourism destination, MPs heard on Tuesday.

Parliament's portfolio committees on police and tourism were holding a workshop with stakeholders on tourist safety and security in the wake of several attacks on tourists, including the murder of a Ukrainian tourist at Chapman's Peak, Cape Town, which made international headlines.
More at : https://www.iol.co.za/news/politics/tourist-safety-under-spotlight-as-sa-sees-drop-in-bookings-31378887

krycor

Honorary Master
I’d say our road safety is what scares more people than other stuff if recent deaths are anything to go by? Lots of people dying in transit..

Kelerei

Expert Member
If you want to see wildlife as in National Geographic movies, come to Tanzania. It is much safer too. Oh and there is no racism shite like in South Africa.
Actually, I'd pick Namibia:
  • Also much safer than my country of birth (sadly, just about everywhere is these days).
  • Wildlife -- if you know where to look for it, of course.
  • This probably sounds weird if you haven't been there yourself, but the desert is stunningly beautiful (Sesriem, Sossusvlei, Fish River Canyon, the entire C27 road), and full of interesting places to explore (Kolmanskop, the apple pie shop at Solitaire).
  • Interesting architecture in parts due to the German colonial history (see: Swakopmund, Lüderitz, Kolmanskop (again)).
  • Braai at @Mortymoose's place!
When we got married (in 2016; we were living in Cape Town at the time and the thought of emigration hadn't even come up yet), our honeymoon was a 2 week roadtrip around the southern and central parts of the country (the B2 was the northern limit for us). 10/10, would fly over and do all that again tomorrow.

Mila

Honorary Master
Kenia is also fantastic

Nothing they do will fix it, if they were going to fix it they would have done something about unemployment.
Stop these policies that are chasing investors away.
But we all know that is not part of the plan.

Whright

I’d say our road safety is what scares more people than other stuff if recent deaths are anything to go by? Lots of people dying in transit..
Fully agree, as a tourist, you can land at the airport, and 30 minutes later be dead from crashing into a bridge support pillar 300 meters away from the drop off zone.

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
Actually, I'd pick Namibia:
  • Also much safer than my country of birth (sadly, just about everywhere is these days).
  • Wildlife -- if you know where to look for it, of course.
  • This probably sounds weird if you haven't been there yourself, but the desert is stunningly beautiful (Sesriem, Sossusvlei, Fish River Canyon, the entire C27 road), and full of interesting places to explore (Kolmanskop, the apple pie shop at Solitaire).
  • Interesting architecture in parts due to the German colonial history (see: Swakopmund, Lüderitz, Kolmanskop (again)).
  • Braai at @Mortymoose's place!
When we got married (in 2016; we were living in Cape Town at the time and the thought of emigration hadn't even come up yet), our honeymoon was a 2 week roadtrip around the southern and central parts of the country (the B2 was the northern limit for us). 10/10, would fly over and do all that again tomorrow.
Funny to read this...as I type..i am laying under my sleeping bag in an uncovered tent admiring the stars above the Kokerboom forest outside Keetnanshoop after spending the past 2 days in Ai Ais..2morrow heading down to Luderitz.... southern Nam rocks . Did Fossils and Cheetahs 2day...20190827_141828.jpegIMG-20190827-WA0009.jpeg20190827_135108.jpegIMG-20190827-WA0051.jpeg

lsheed_cn

Expert Member
If you want to see wildlife as in National Geographic movies, come to Tanzania. It is much safer too. Oh and there is no racism shite like in South Africa.
We would, but apparently your plane has been impounded in JHB, on its inaugural flight nogal!

supersunbird

Honorary Master
He told MPs one of the key shortcomings was not responding adequately following incidents.

"One of the issues that we don't do well is to deal with a crisis and communicate correctly when a crisis happens."

TBCSA was engaging with Tourism Minister Mmamoloko Kubayi-Ngubane to see if part of the levies collected from operators are not just used for marketing, but go towards creating infrastructure, like cameras and a monitoring centre, to deal with crime targeting tourists.
No, the real shortcoming is preventing incidents or crises from occurring, especially preventable ones (like not giving bail so easily for serious crimes or repeat criminals so they are not out and doing their thing).

And it's best to deal with crime that targets everyone, since tourists go everywhere.

Oh yes, and come down hard on "service delivery protests" (correctly known as riots).

flippakitten

Expert Member
I was telling my colleagues yesterday about my 3 hour drive from PE in which there was:
  1. a truck stopped randomly on the N2 in the only lane forcing drivers to swerve out into the oncoming traffic. Basically if there was oncoming traffic, would have ploughed into the back of the truck because it was on a blind rise on a corner is a good place to stop to reload the cargo that fell off even though there was a yellow line.
  2. Herd of goats in the middle island and a truck had literally just run one over. If it was a car, it would have been a mess.
  3. A massive accident in the "High accident zone" because overtaking though a mountain pass with double white lines is totally fine.
  4. 2 cars driving 40 on the highway without pulling over. (Not even exaggerating here)
They were completely blown away by the numbers.

Edit: You also have to have alternate routes planned out just incase the N2 is blocked due to rioting at Bitou, Plett or Knysna.
The N2 between Pinelands and Somerset west is also a big gamble.

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
And everytime someone asks for advice on visiting SA online everyone says 'don't'.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Sad actually as tourism is one of the last things that SA still has going for it.
Without the beauty around us this **** hole would be 10 times worse.

Kelerei

Expert Member
Edit: You also have to have alternate routes planned out just incase the N2 is blocked due to rioting at Bitou, Plett or Knysna.
The N2 between Pinelands and Somerset west is also a big gamble.
Route 62. Far less traffic, far less stressful (outside of Oudtshoorn, anyway). Plus, one gets to enjoy the quirkiness that is Ronnie's Sex Shop...

flippakitten

Expert Member
Route 62. Far less traffic, far less stressful (outside of Oudtshoorn, anyway). Plus, one gets to enjoy the quirkiness that is Ronnie's Sex Shop...
Funny thing, was driving that way back from Cape Town and there were no cars, like literally none for about an hour, except the BMW sitting on my ass. Even pulling over and slowing down didn't help, they just sat there for the last 70km before Oudtshroon.

It's a bit too long though with young kids. Rather cut through at Swellendam.