Toyota Corolla 1.4 D-4D vs. VW Jetta 1.2 TSI

Leo_

Hi,

I'm deciding to purchase a new vehicle (R250k) and I've narrowed my choices down to these 2.

Carmag chose the Corolla over the Jetta, and gave the Corolla diesel outstanding reviews.

Now I know I shouldn't just trust one review, therefore I'm asking the forum what they think of these 2 cars :)

What is it like living with a Jetta or Corolla?

Quantum Theory

Executive Member
Car magazine is basically owned by Toyota :)

Just kidding, but they have always had a bit of a Toyota bias... Everybody has some bias, so opinions will vary and probably confuse you more. The only answer here is to test drive both and buy the one that excites YOU more.

Debeer165

Expert Member
Neither. Get a 2012 / 2013 Passat 2.0 TDI or 1.8 TSI for the same price and get MUCH more car for the cash

Fox1

Executive Member
Toyota if you plan on maximising resale value obviously. Jetta's loose value quickly.

web

Executive Member
Toyota if you plan on maximising resale value obviously. Jetta's loose value quickly.

Why do people still believe that Toyota's have bullet proof resale?
The second hand dealers sell them at a premium but when you try trade them in you still get nailed.

Leo_

*cough cough Fiesta ST

I agree, the Ford Fiesta is a lovely little car - But it's too tiny for me.

Neither. Get a 2012 / 2013 Passat 2.0 TDI or 1.8 TSI for the same price and get MUCH more car for the cash

I don't really want something so thirsty - and it's pretty big too. I'd probably get an SUV instead, but that's for the future.

Car magazine is basically owned by Toyota :)

Just kidding, but they have always had a bit of a Toyota bias... Everybody has some bias, so opinions will vary and probably confuse you more. The only answer here is to test drive both and buy the one that excites YOU more.

Well I find them to be pretty objective - They totally dismissed Corolla's petrol engines as being outdated and thrashy - Not so bias :p

I have no doubt that both these car's have great resale value, but at the end of the day the Corolla is more popular than the Jetta, and should be easier to sell later on. But I'm not interested in this right now, as I might be keeping this car longer than the warranty period if it is reliable.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Drive both, pick the one you like. Screw the resale value and all that other rubbish. You will be driving this for years and that is a big price to pay for the wrong car just so you can sell it in future.

jax_maxit

Have you looked at the Hyundai Elantra or Kia Cerato? If you're not interested in either, I'd go with the Jetta. It's a lot more exciting to drive.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Top-spec Corrolas as boderline. Entry-level and low-end Corrolas are just atrocious. It is just a horrible place to be caged in.