Toyota Corolla Cross (Rolla SUV)

Fetched my wife's new XS yesterday. Very comfortable open road cruiser and the suspension over speed bumps in town is amazingly soft. The deal I managed to get was amazing. (Ironic that the facelift news came out the same day, but it is what it is with cars and still over a year away here in SA.)

SO's:
Screenshot_20240210_091140_Photos.jpg

Fetched my wife's new XS yesterday. Very comfortable open road cruiser and the suspension over speed bumps in town is amazingly soft. The deal I managed to get was amazing. (Ironic that the facelift news came out the same day, but it is what it is with cars and still over a year away here in SA.)

SO's:
View attachment 1659362
Congrats! If you had to wait for the new facelift you would have paid much more a year down the line, so good choice. Plus I doubt we will get the Thai version of the facelift we probably get the watered down version.

Facelifted Toyota Corolla Cross revealed abroad

A facelifted version of the Toyota Corolla Cross has been launched in Thailand, sporting an interesting new grille and some cabin revisions.

Toyota South Africa tends not to comment on future product plans, but given that the locally-built model was launched in late 2021, it is likely that a midlife refresh will be announced in the next year or so.

The Toyota Corolla Cross was South Africa’s second best selling passenger car in 2023 (see the full list here), with 22,592 units finding homes. It is priced competitively within its segment, with the current range retailing for between R408,400 and R543,700.

The Thai facelift that you see here is likely to be rolled out to world markets soon and includes fresh LED headlights, already seen in the European spec model, and a new colour coded grille with large honeycomb elements that fade into the bumper, a bit like the Omoda C5 perhaps.

Other external design changes include taillights with a new LED pattern and redesigned two-tone 18-inch alloy wheels.

1 week of ownership complete. Wife is getting used to the larger size, coming from 9yrs of EcoSport. Smash and grab and licencing done (We bought from out of town, so did tint and plates ourselves).

I drove it again yesterday and today and can honestly say that the ride, comfort and interior quality in our XS spec is very impressive and I consider the car good value for money.

I was thinking back to our test drive in the 4-speed auto Suzuki Grand Vitara and the Corolla Cross 1.8 CVT is miles ahead in refinement and ease of driving around town. Even closing the doors of the Cross produces a sound far superior to the Suzuki made cars (Grand Vitara and Urban Cruiser + Fronx).

Overall, very happy. Must just pull the trigger on that warranty extension to 8yrs for peace of mind. Although being a Toyota and our sub 10 000km per year, I'll probably never need parts replaced under it.

1 week of ownership complete. Wife is getting used to the larger size, coming from 9yrs of EcoSport. Smash and grab and licencing done (We bought from out of town, so did tint and plates ourselves).

I drove it again yesterday and today and can honestly say that the ride, comfort and interior quality in our XS spec is very impressive and I consider the car good value for money.

I was thinking back to our test drive in the 4-speed auto Suzuki Grand Vitara and the Corolla Cross 1.8 CVT is miles ahead in refinement and ease of driving around town. Even closing the doors of the Cross produces a sound far superior to the Suzuki made cars (Grand Vitara and Urban Cruiser + Fronx).

Overall, very happy. Must just pull the trigger on that warranty extension to 8yrs for peace of mind. Although being a Toyota and our sub 10 000km per year, I'll probably never need parts replaced under it.
Just do the warranty extension before the original one expires.

Just do the warranty extension before the original one expires.
Yeah, the extensions increase in price every Jan/Feb according to my sales person - my purchase of the car just missed being able to secure the previous pricing for the extension. I'm going to just pay it this year and forget about the car until 2032.

Extended the warranty today. I found a dealer that could still do it at pre increase pricing.

Instead of paying R7550+vat from the dealer which I bought the car from, I paid R7550incl vat today.

All sorted until 2032

What's the point of a hybrid - it costs more to buy, just to save a little fuel? Just get the normal engine one.
I've been going back and forward on this decision for a month, at first I decided that the normal petrol version would be ok. But in a test drive it did feel sluggish even on a city drive. I decided to test drive the Hybrid because I heard it was much peppier.

Of all the research I did and the test drive I decided the Hybrid was the version for me and this is why:

1) eCVT as opposed to normal CVT transmission (on the petrol version) - of all the video's and articles I have watched/read, so many people warned against getting the a CVT because of sluggishness and long term reliability. I believe the Toyota's are better than most and even include a "first gear" to help with pull off. An "eCVT" is much different. No belts and pulleys, just electric motors and gears and much more reliable.

2) Acceleration - The motor provides "instant torque" and definitely feels quicker off the mark and more responsive than the petrol. Downside I suppose is the engine starting/stopping all the time due to changing from motor/engine. It's not that noticeable, but the noise is quite loud, but I think thats also a general CVT thing as well.

3) Fuel consumption is only the 3rd on my list as it would take years to actually break even with the non-Hybrid version.

4) Nice to know - there is no alternator or starter motor as it's not needed, so those cant break. Also apparently the brake pads last longer because the engine provides at least some braking power due to regenerative breaking (this is done by the transmission and not the brake's themselves I learnt).

I have made my decision, although its a bit of a grudge buy, I was keen on the Kia Seltos, but reliability always comes up (my Mom has had two different Sportage models over the years and there are always little niggles).

My biggest gripe is such a tiny thing, there is no easy place to put my sunglasses!!! No roof mounted spot (which I detest anyway), but no easy other place because the storage spot in the center consol is only big enough for your phone. Its the "cheaper" things that could have made a big difference (storage options).

Edit: Forgot one other gripe. There is no "pouch" on the back of the drivers seat. May not sound like much, but if you have kids who like to store books and stuff. Wonder why they skimped on such a small thing.

Last edited:
My biggest gripe is such a tiny thing, there is no easy place to put my sunglasses!!! No roof mounted spot (which I detest anyway), but no easy other place because the storage spot in the center consol is only big enough for your phone. Its the "cheaper" things that could have made a big difference (storage options).
Sun visor, arms in, lenses facing outward

Can any any owners of the 2023- XR spec Hybrid tell me:

1. Is the Apple Carplay / Android Auto wireless or wired only?
2. With the App - can you start the vehicle and switch the A/C on?
3. Does it have park assist - as in can do a parallel park with you only controlling the throttle?

Any firm answers on these would be greatly appreciated.

Can any any owners of the 2023- XR spec Hybrid tell me:

1. Is the Apple Carplay / Android Auto wireless or wired only?
2. With the App - can you start the vehicle and switch the A/C on?
3. Does it have park assist - as in can do a parallel park with you only controlling the throttle?

Any firm answers on these would be greatly appreciated.
I have an XS spec but really the only difference between that and the XR are a bit of consmetic changes and some active safety features. The entertainment systems are the same.

Wrt to your questions:
1. Wired
2. No you can't
3. No, it can't, you will have to park it yourself

I have an XS spec but really the only difference between that and the XR are a bit of consmetic changes and some active safety features. The entertainment systems are the same.

Wrt to your questions:
1. Wired
2. No you can't
3. No, it can't, you will have to park it yourself

Thanks for answering

Back