Toyota SA's "Baby Fortuner" aka Toyota Rush

boggom

You are very mistaken in putting the Haval last, forgetting its origins for a moment and just looking at facts and figures, it is the best value for money in that group.
That's quite possible, my guess on Car mag's ranking still remains as above.
I do like the Haval and the fact that there are actual competition at a way lower price. Personally between those options I would not go for the Haval as it has a boot space of only about 300l. (The official figure on boot size from Haval is lacking unfortunately). But that's just me.

thechamp

Honorary Master
That's quite possible, my guess on Car mag's ranking still remains as above.
I do like the Haval and the fact that there are actual competition at a way lower price. Personally between those options I would not go for the Haval as it has a boot space of only about 300l. (The official figure on boot size from Haval is lacking unfortunately). But that's just me.
Oh, I get you, I thought that was your own ranking. Even with Car mag the reason for ranking it last would have nothing to do with its technical capabilities, it would be more about market perceptions, Chinese roots and things like that.

Cr419

Executive Member
I was not too far off, it is safe to say if that H2 was a Toyota it would have won that as it is with all its flaws.
That's not a bad result for the chinaman, I was expecting it to be third, a just ahead of the Dacia. Surprised at the rush's placement.

Duan

That's not a bad result for the chinaman, I was expecting it to be third, a just ahead of the Dacia. Surprised at the rush's placement.
The rush is a joke and given Car’s loyalty to anything Toyota, it is quite an insult (but a fair one) to Toyota.

The thing that bugs me most is that they (Toyota )try and pass it off as a Fortuner lite instead of a mildly agitated (not even properly cross) Avanza.

Cr419

Executive Member
The rush is a joke and given Car’s loyalty to anything Toyota, it is quite an insult (but a fair one) to Toyota.

The thing that bugs me most is that they (Toyota )try and pass it off as a Fortuner lite instead of a mildly agitated (not even properly cross) Avanza.
They really did pull a number on that Toyota, I don't recall them being this critical of even the Datsun go.

thechamp

Honorary Master

But they are just playing on the gullibility of the buying public, can't really blame them when South Africans think everything with plastic cladding around the wheels and a raised height is an SUV. I do get your irritation but don't hate the player, hate the game.

Moneywaster

They really did pull a number on that Toyota, I don't recall them being this critical of even the Datsun go.
But the difference is the price. You have to keep pride in mind when doing a review. How else can small cheap cars win car of the year comps. This Toyota is expensive. I am glad to see they were so fair and did not just say what was expected of them.

Cr419

Executive Member
But the difference is the price. You have to keep pride in mind when doing a review. How else can small cheap cars win car of the year comps. This Toyota is expensive. I am glad to see they were so fair and did not just say what was expected of them.
You are probably right on the price thing. At that price it should really have been better.

thechamp

Honorary Master
I think the problem here is that Toyota just don't have the right straight engine to fit into the Rush, I can't think of any new ones except this 1.5, the urge to raise it so that it looks like an SUV just made things worse for driving dynamics.

boggom

I read the full article last night. I'm not sure why they have not used the 1.5 tdci Duster for the tests. Also a pity the new (imminent) Duster wasn't available as that would have made for a more interesting test.
One other thing is the data they used have quite a lot of errors in - someone mentioned earlier in the thread they have the incorrect top speed for the BRV. I also noticed that they have the Duster boot size wrong as it should have been 475l, not 200 odd liter. Also the boot space of the Haval is given as 232 l and I read it quoted somewhere as 300l.

Sumen

Expert Member
I read the full article last night. I'm not sure why they have not used the 1.5 tdci Duster for the tests. Also a pity the new (imminent) Duster wasn't available as that would have made for a more interesting test.
One other thing is the data they used have quite a lot of errors in - someone mentioned earlier in the thread they have the incorrect top speed for the BRV. I also noticed that they have the Duster boot size wrong as it should have been 475l, not 200 odd liter. Also the boot space of the Haval is given as 232 l and I read it quoted somewhere as 300l.
I think the measurements are what they got in the real world.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Was any of the other diesel models? I do get you point though, the Duster is much cheaper than the others, I doubt it would make a big difference though.

boggom

Was any of the other diesel models? I do get you point though, the Duster is much cheaper than the others, I doubt it would make a big difference though.
No, all the others were petrol, but then again none of the others are available in other engines. The Duster is though, so I would have expected them to use the better engine at competitive price point. Anyway, I do agree that the Honda and the Haval are good offerings at very good prices.