Toyota SA's "Baby Fortuner" aka Toyota Rush

ahoudet

Expert Member
Checked one out at a dealer today.

I personally like the exterior look and found it to look nice in person too. The car is longer than I thought it would be.

Interior was a let-down. It looks fine but the finish really isn't great. Better than an Etios but definitely worse than a Quest.

I didn't drive it so can't comment on that. Overall, the interior killed it for me. Although, for the price, I'm sure it will suit many buyers' needs.

Cr419

Executive Member
Checked one out at a dealer today.

I personally like the exterior look and found it to look nice in person too. The car is longer than I thought it would be.

Interior was a let-down. It looks fine but the finish really isn't great. Better than an Etios but definitely worse than a Quest.

I didn't drive it so can't comment on that. Overall, the interior killed it for me. Although, for the price, I'm sure it will suit many buyers' needs.
The quest actually has very decent build quality. I've been in a few and driven one. Feels very "loose" on the open road, and the steering is way to light, but overall it's really not a bad car. NVH is also not to bad. If this was built like the quest it would be decent.

ahoudet

Expert Member
The quest actually has very decent build quality. I've been in a few and driven one. Feels very "loose" on the open road, and the steering is way to light, but overall it's really not a bad car. NVH is also not to bad. If this was built like the quest it would be decent.
It's decent but the plastics are not soft, etc. Sound deadening, etc I'm not sure about on the Rush so can't say more than what I noted on the overall finish

Cr419

Executive Member
It's decent but the plastics are not soft, etc. Sound deadening, etc I'm not sure about on the Rush so can't say more than what I noted on the overall finish
The plastics are not soft, but you cannot really expect that of a car that large, at that price point. I also don't like toyota's but with the quest you quite literally get what you can expect. And the engine noise on the highway is a lot less intrusive than the old Vivo, which is what I was comparing it to.

The etios on the other hand, I don't know wtf toyota (or anyone that buys that POS) was thinking. I fully expect the rush to be not much different(as you confirmed).

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Toyota SA launches TRD accessories for new Rush crossover

Toyota South Africa has launched a range of TRD accessories for its fresh-faced Rush, giving buyers the chance to specify a little extra styling kit to make their new crossovers stand out from the crowd.

We called up a Toyota dealership to find out how much each part costs, and have listed the figures below (note that while the prices quoted do include VAT at 15%, they do not include fitment).

The most prominent accessory for the Avanza-based crossover is the integrated TRD “front bumper spoiler” (R3 568,88), which the Japanese brand says adds both “style and protection”. Chunky TRD foglamp covers (R2 117,07), meanwhile, fit around the standard front foglamps, while a TRD decal (R547,46) can be applied along the bottom of the rear doors.

A faux diffuser/skid-plate (R3 173,87) round back is also available, along with TRD side mouldings (R2 439,31) that the automaker says provides the Rush with an “extra layer of protection to help guard the side panels”.

While each of the accessories can be purchased separately in South Africa, applying all of them results in a look that mirrors that of the flagship TRD Sportivo derivative offered in markets such as Indonesia (where the Rush is built).

Other accessories offered locally include a safety film kit (offered in 100 and 150 micron guises), wind deflectors, a chrome finish for the exhaust tip and a collapsable boot organiser.

http://www.carmag.co.za/news/toyota-sa-launches-trd-accessories-for-new-rush-crossover/

IMG_6514.JPG

IMG_6515.JPG

qscwbt

Expert Member
The Toyota fan club will buy anything with the badge, rebranded Avanza. Anyone driven a Avanza in a bit of wind will know how terrible the handling is.

"They did buy the Rush on the promise of an SUV from one of Toyota's marketing professionals, and to say that it drives like econo-MPV that the Avanza is a let down. And given the strong demand, we wouldn't be surprised if the transaction wasn't exactly in the customer's favor with things like high in-house financing rates and high insurance premiums in order to get that all-important unit allocation."

"Actually, if you look at the manufacturer's identification plate on the passenger side (driver's side in RHD countries) door frame, you'll see that the Rush is manufactured by Daihatsu in MPV-crazy Indonesia for SUV-mad Philippines."

"At low speeds, the Rush 1.5G drives like, well, an Avanza. No surprise there. That's because the gearbox choices are the same: the entry grade model gets a 5-speed manual while these higher grade E and G models get the 4-speed automatic. We did groan a bit about the 4-speed slushbox, but if it's long term reliability you want, then older but proven technology has better chances of lasting"

"though I suspect it could be exactly the same as the Avanza's 4-link, at least in the way it rides.

As expected, the Rush drives and rides like an Avanza. If you're driving solo or with minimal weight, it's OK in the front, but the rear would be bouncing around if you hit some ruts at speed. That's because the rear suspension is suited to the same principle as most modern pick-up trucks: to bear weight."

https://www.autoindustriya.com/features/does-the-2018-toyota-rush-drive-better-than-an-avanza.html

Cr419

Executive Member
So I saw one of these in traffic a few days ago, it really doesn't look that bad irl. If only it had a proper engine and gearbox with 7 seats I might even have considered one.