Toyota uncertain if it can continue to invest in KZN and South Africa

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
Would be a crushing blow to Durban. Thousands more to add to the unemployed list.

Sad but true.

It took my suburb nearly three decades to recover from a major employer closing shop as they are a skeleton of what they where at their peak.

These closures become incentives for more closures.

We had another major manufacturer also shut shop around that time and this created so much more unemployment not to mention the dozens of mom n pop businesses gone.

PAYBACK

Expert Member
The one thing that will be auto manufacturing's undoing in our country is innovation or lack thereof I should say. Plants that don't innovate/modernize will not able to keep up with demand due to manned legacy systems partially dictated by government in our case.

Automation, advancements in 3D printing and large pressed sub components do away with a lot of the workforce upstream.

Kawak

Will Clover take a hint? maybe horrible roads, no water or electricity trumps having your factory burnt, or just leave SA completely...

Whats scary is, we still have a self serving party in power, talking about a presidential pardon...

Wag

Expert Member
It is a western world problem, we only order the printers to print more money

Creag

The Boar's Rock
This would be ideal for Western Cape to lure them to setup shop there.
Why would they take the risk? If they leave KZN, there is no way they will consider another location in South Africa. That would be madness.

Thavash

The winner here is India, Thailand and Vietnam.
Most South Africans dont realize that Toyota SA (and others) have been winding down for the last few years. The cheaper Toyotas (and Suzukis and Hyundais and Kias etc ) are all built in India now where that gov has welcomed them. I follow the auto industry in Chennai , India and that place has gone bonkers - theres a good chance some of you reading this drives a car built in Chennai.
Now this gives Toyota an opportunity to negotiate tougher

Cray

Honorary Master
Most South Africans dont realize that Toyota SA (and others) have been winding down for the last few years. The cheaper Toyotas (and Suzukis and Hyundais and Kias etc ) are all built in India now where that gov has welcomed them. I follow the auto industry in Chennai , India and that place has gone bonkers - theres a good chance some of you reading this drives a car built in Chennai.
https://www.toyota.co.za/explore-to...e-new-passenger-model-to-be-built-in-durban-2

From January....

TOYOTA REVEALS THE NEW PASSENGER MODEL TO BE BUILT IN DURBAN​

• Toyota Corolla Cross to be built at the Prospecton Plant in Durban, South Africa
  • Toyota South Africa Motors has invested R2.43 billion in the project
  • Corolla Cross will generate around R 2.85 billion a year in local component purchases
  • The project will also generate more than 500 jobs at Toyota and a further 1 000 in the local automotive chain
Toyota South Africa Motors (TSAM) is pleased to announce that it will be manufacturing and selling the brand-new Corolla Cross in South Africa in the fourth quarter of the year. The model reveal, made by TSAM President and CEO Andrew Kirby at the annual State of the Motor Industry (SOMI) address, follows the company’s announcement in 2019 that it was investing R2.43 billion in the production of a new passenger vehicle in South Africa.

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Did some SKD work with Chennai. Not technically there in terms of some production aspects I was involved with. Given the chance would much rather work in South Africa that's for sure. They are lets say. Different :D

Thavash

Did some SKD work with Chennai. Not technically there in terms of some production aspects I was involved with. Given the chance would much rather work in South Africa that's for sure. They are lets say. Different :D
Yeah , been there a few times. They are moving forward though , and we are moving ?

Nereus77

Its like the looters kneed themselves in the nuts and then elbowed themselves in the head....

Our prosperity depends on our appeal to investors. If that appeal sours and wanes we may as well close our factories that remain.

Zukat

Expert Member
No one is going anywhere, just hot air. This is the world of capitalism and toyota is making good money in South Africa, its a strategic distribution point for them into Africa. Come on