Traditional healer 'promised riches' for kidnapping teen with albinism

Grant

Honorary Master
Traditional healer Thokozani Msibi bragged as he showed off a mayonnaise jar he had used to store the body parts of Gabisile Shabane, a child with albinism he had allegedly killed as part of a muti ritual.

The high court sitting in Middelburg on Wednesday heard how Shabane’s private parts, breasts and the fat from her inner thighs were put together in the large glass jar and stored in Msibi’s indumba — a hut used by traditional healers — in Emalahleni (formerly Witbank).
This was the version of Msibi’s friend and neighbour, John Magutshwa, who hails from Eswatini. He told the court that he had arrived in Emalahleni in February 2018.

He said he went to Msibi’s indumba, but the traditional healer wasn't there. He called Msibi, who told him he was on his way but instructed him to go inside the hut, look into the centre and tell him what he could see.
“I entered the indumba and I saw something in a bottle of a mayonnaise. There was some fat and something blackish. I said to him it looks like the fat of a python. Msibi laughed and said he is coming,” Magutshwa testified.

“When he arrived, he found me seated outside. He greeted me and went into the indumba. He fetched the bottle and stood at the door. He called me and said let us go inside,” said Magutshwa, describing how Msibi had held the bottle in his hands.
“He said, ‘What’s in here is private parts, a breast, heart and the fat from between the thighs of a person living with albinism that we got from Hlalanikahle,’” Magutshwa told the court.

Lupus

Honorary Master
How about they do the same to the healer, but slowly.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
I went to primary school with 2 kids with albinism. Poor lads couldn't play in the sun.

Edit; It's even worse for them of they're from poor families because they can't afford things like spectacles and sunscreens. It's sad but as kids, we thought nothing of it.

Last edited:

ponder

Honorary Master
I went to primary school with 2 kids with albinism. Poor lads couldn't play in the sun.

It's even worse for them of they're from poor families because they can't afford things like spectacles and sunscreens. It's sad but as kids, we thought nothing of it.

That's the least of their worries....

EDIT: Spectacles they can get for free these days, not sure about sunscreen.

ponder

Honorary Master
Hopefully customary law will not be considered by the courts.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
That's the least of their worries....

EDIT: Spectacles they can get for free these days, not sure about sunscreen.
That was many years ago. The young ones I've seen recently at my village are doing a lot better.

And believe me, spectacles were their worry too. I don't think that part of the country abducted people with albinism. Growing up, I knew 2 adults, one of which used to visit our home often (a very distant relative). The other one was an artist drawing murals, decorating shop fronts and doing other artsy stuff.

Last edited:

ForceFate

Honorary Master
I have an extended family who have an albino daughter. She is literally not allowed to go anywhere without one or both parents being around because of this fear. It’s an awful life.
Which part of the country? MP?

azbob

Honorary Master
Yes, I know that blackface isn’t right but when your life is at stake then perhaps it can be excused.