Training for 24 hour mugg & bean off road race

S1ght

Expert Member
Hey all,

K well for the people who dunno bout the 24 hour its a 16km (i think) off road race where you do laps of 16km and my friends and I decided to go do it for the 1st time.

My friend and I are in a disagreement so was hoping maybe for a professional or close input, she says she going to train for it just by doing running and not actually training on a bike. Now my thoughts were that running and cycling train different muscles and that if she did that she's going to struggle a lot in the race considering 16k off road is like 32k on road and I doubt she can ride that far...

Any thoughts and opinions to the proper way to train for such a race, if I should let her just train by running...

Thanx
S1ght

hxc87x

Expert Member
i've never done any off road races but i've done the cape argus 7 times...

running does train pretty much the same muscles but in different ways... i suppose its because of the different movements and the fact that cycling also relies more on strength than running does. either way, running is still cardio so it's still going to help...

bottom line though - if your fit from running and entering a cycling race, you'll be better off than you would've been if you hadnt trained at all but you wont be anywhere near where you could've been if you'd been cycling.

i have found that running does help get rid of the lactic acid that you tend to get the first 2 weeks or so..

best way to train would probably be to go on off road rides, maybe hit the gym and work on leg strength depending on how hilly the track is...

S1ght

Expert Member
Thanx, I have no idea how hilly it is or what its like for that matter :) what would you recommend is a good distance to start training at? say like start doing 5km off road everyday then move up to 10 then 15?

hxc87x

Expert Member
i've never done any off-road stuff so i dont really know much about the training...
best bet would be to start off on a 10km ride and then to go from there depending on how you're feeling afterwards...
maybe see if theres a mountainbiking forum you can join and then find out about times and how to train etc?

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
When I read the title I thought "omg someone is gonna die in a coffee drinking marathon".:D

Maybe do 90% of the training on a bicycle and then 10% running if the cycling get a bit boring.

kiepie

Executive Member
When I read the title I thought "omg someone is gonna die in a coffee drinking marathon".:D

Maybe do 90% of the training on a bicycle and then 10% running if the cycling get a bit boring.
So I'm not the only one. Was like ready to leave and visit a mugg and bean :D
BTW I hate normal coffee, would have prefer a Latte :p

Back on topic:

Would say she needs to get some exercise on a bike, but if you fit it won't be that a big of a deal. Only my opinion. :eek:

ObeyTheDiode

There is a saying that goes: " The best training for cycling is cycling. "
You don't give enough info on the race for me to make concrete training recommendations.
Some general tips:

- Your friend should definitely cycle regularly prior to the race. Although she might achieve the necessary aerobic fitness with running her core muscles used when cycling will not be trained in the same way. Her back might start aching after a while, for example and she needs time in the saddle to avoid discomfort.

- Most mountain bikers actually do most of their training on the road - especially base training. So start her off with longish slow rides on the road. I would recommend eventually doing at the very least the race distance on the road. Eg. if you'll be doing 5x16km = 80km each, riding 100km on-road in one go would be sufficient considering the resting periods between laps.

- You should also do a few rides off-road beforehand, so you are prepared for the rough terrain (although the 24 hour races' routes shouldn't be too technical)

To conclude, she MUST do bike training and enough of it. Most beginners don't train enough for their first events and consequently suffer a great deal thereby missing out on all the fun aspects...

S1ght

Expert Member
Thanx for the input guys

I've tried telling her but shes stubborn :p We aren't really entering to compete properly more just a fun thing and to finish so shes only gonna cause herself a lil pain :) So far I've started off 10km a day on the road but if I find a nice off road section while I'm riding I try go no that just for fun :)

I tried looking up more details on their site but they really don't give much

http://www.themuggclub.co.za/

They haven't even put down where it is yet :p but I've heard its normally between 16-18km.

Oh and 1 more thing, I'm assuming I should probably start dieting/eating more healthily, I'm not overweight or anything but I do eat a lot of sweet things and take outs etc, any suggests?

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Just though of something else:

The advantage of training with a bike is that you can cover huge distance and make nice day-trips to cool locations...with running you're pretty much stuck in you 'hood.

S1ght

Expert Member
Yeah thought of that, could save a lot of petrol if I rode to varsity but don't think UJ has any place to lock up a bike and that if I'm not fit enough to ride that far then I doubt the trip would be very nice each time :D

ObeyTheDiode

I'm not sure if you're really have the right idea here. ONE LAP = 16km. Now, even if your team consists of the maximum of ten members (corporate team) you certainly will be riding more than one lap. It's called a 24hour race 'cause there will always be a rider of the team on the lap - riding - at any stage during the 24 hours

You have about two months left for training. Maybe try and increase your team size to reduce the individual load.

Go to www.the24hour.co.za for further details.