Transfer from Mweb to new ISP with minimal downtime

Gavster

Hi all,

Im a graphic designer so bare with me if I don't get the lingo.

Essentially I have a client that I am building a new Wordpress site for. They currently have hosting with Mweb and would like to transfer to a new ISP as Mweb doesn't seem forthcoming with the change to Wordpress.

They do have a lot of traffic on e mail and so the major concern is how long will they be down for ? Mweb states it can take anywhere from 3 days to 3 weeks and that won't work for them.

Any advice on how to do this smoothly with minimal downtime would be greatly appreciated!.

Many thanks

paul5186

Expert Member
First things first, get some proper dns hosting. Setup all the records and then get mweb to update your domains nameserves to the new servers.

Gavster

Thanks Paul,

Forgive my ignorance but do you mean set up the new hosting package and then get them to transfer the domain across ?

Thanks

padjakkels

Join domains.co.za. they make a backup from your current website and restore it on their servers, which include the email accounts. They can even do it over a weekend. Email down time will be max 30 minutes, not more. They have the best and friendly support.

paul5186

Expert Member
Thanks Paul,

Forgive my ignorance but do you mean set up the new hosting package and then get them to transfer the domain across ?

Thanks

Well there are a couple options.

1) You keep their email with Mweb. You just ask them to point the A records of the domain to the new webhost. That way the client will still have their email with Mweb, but can host their website at any provider

2) You move the entire domain away from Mweb inc hosting and email. I would suggest Google apps for email, $5 per user per month.
I would always say keep DNS separate from the webhost, and the domain also separate. That way you are not tied into any one provider and it is easier to move/migrate.
You would setup the DNS records and google apps, then get mweb to change your domains name servers to the new servers. Once that is done all Mweb is is basically the registrar of the domain. Then move the domain.

Dark Agent

Expert Member
I use Google DNS. The down time when moved the website was less then 10 minutes with +- 1 hour 20 mins of very slow site. The site was just less then 80GB and db size of 18GB.
Moved from dedicated server to cloud.

Jade @ Absolute Hosting

Absolute Hosting Representative
Company Rep
Hi all,

Im a graphic designer so bare with me if I don't get the lingo.

Essentially I have a client that I am building a new Wordpress site for. They currently have hosting with Mweb and would like to transfer to a new ISP as Mweb doesn't seem forthcoming with the change to Wordpress.

They do have a lot of traffic on e mail and so the major concern is how long will they be down for ? Mweb states it can take anywhere from 3 days to 3 weeks and that won't work for them.

Any advice on how to do this smoothly with minimal downtime would be greatly appreciated!.

Many thanks
Morning Gavster,

Im not too sure where MWEB are thumb sucking their answers from but I've never heard of a transfer taking 3 weeks.
I have worked with MWEB / ISignite regarding their domain transfers and they're a pain in the butt to work with, primarily because they dont follow the Registrar Agreement and register their clients domain names using their clients details - so they essentially hold the domain to ransom.

With that out of the way, here is what you can do to keep the downtime to an absolute low (a few hours at worst).
Mail MWEB 2 days prior to the next step and have MWEB drop the domains TTL' records to 10 minutes
If MWEB provide cpanel then you'll be able to perform a full backup of the account and import at your new hosts cpanel.
After restoring the cpanel backup on the new host and confirming that all is in order, instruct mweb to update mx records and A records to your new host.
Submit a cancellation request to MWEB as they require 30 days cancellation, inform your new host about the cancellation request and have them initiate the transfer.

The above steps will result in +- 30 mins downtime at most.

Feel free to PM me if you need any help or have any other questions.

Last edited:

Ipwn 4

Expert Member
Join domains.co.za. they make a backup from your current website and restore it on their servers, which include the email accounts. They can even do it over a weekend. Email down time will be max 30 minutes, not more. They have the best and friendly support.

if you have downtime during a migration you are doing it wrong.

1) configure new environment, lower TTL on old environment
2) dump website on new environment, test using modified host file on your machine
3) point DNS to new server outside working hours, wait 10-15min
4) backup and restore mail from old environment