Transport department considers high-speed inter-city trains

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Department Mulls High Speed Trains

The transport department will commission an independent study into the cost and feasibility of high-speed trains between major cities, the Business Day reported on Thursday.

Integrated transport planning deputy director-general Mawethu Vilana said on Wednesday a tender for the study would be issued this year, the newspaper reported.

The trains run at speeds as high as 400km/h.

High-speed rail needed a wider gauge than the one used throughout South Africa, with Gautrain the country's only standard-gauge railway.

Vilana said the future of rail was high-speed, with government's focus in the intermediate future being the Passenger Rail Agency of SA (Prasa) using trains travelling at between 140 and 160km/h on the narrow-gauge infrastructure.

In discussions on high-speed rail, the Durban to Johannesburg route featured strongly, said Vilana.

Cape Town to Johannesburg was also being mooted, though intermediate stops would be needed.

There was also demand from Polokwane to Gauteng.

Source : Sapa /aw/tk/jk
Date : 30 May 2013 07:45

F1 Fan

Expert Member
I like the idea of this, but I currently use public trains and it is horrible. Get that sorted first before you explore such initiatives. There is so much promise for our current system. And yet they screw it up

Seriously

Honorary Master
Another corrupt scamming project in the making? All the back pocketed funds must be ran dry by now it seems.

Shayd

Expert Member
This is one of the few projects I would actually support. We need more safe rail and other effective transport projects.

Seriously

Honorary Master
This is one of the few projects I would actually support. We need more safe rail and other effective transport projects.
Yeah they killed the rail commuter system and now need a multi billion dollar project to reinstate same. Abviously with the accompanying tenderpreneuring and financial fraud as per usual.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Maybe they should make the railroad a national assest...but open up the routes to competition...so you can actually book on different carriers etc? The carriers then pay monthly fees to the the state for example for maintenance costs etc of the rail? Kind of like how the airlines pay fees to ACSA to covers costs etc?

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
How about fixing intra-city public transport first? I'm sure that if we could commute using trains with the same infrastructure and feeder systems in place for the Gautrain, more of us would be using it.

Paul_S

Expert Member
The Gautrain is inter-city and yet it is still loss making (from a tax payers perspective) despite all the feasibility and cost studies.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Surely they can expand on the Gautrain? No need to do another feasibility study etc?

But first Eishkom need to be sorted out.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
Infrastructure like this will always be loss making with the taxpayer funding the shortfall.

markings

Expert Member
Last week I travelled on the Gautrain from the airport to Pretoria. It is certainly fast but overall a disappointment. I don't know why their carriages are so narrow resulting in very narrow seats. I'd hate to travel when the train is full. There are no tables to put a notebook on, I could not see any Wifi connection. Compared to overseas trains of similar speed the ride was rough. The platfom signage was confusing and travellers' comfort while waiting for the next train was obviously not in anyone's mind. A pick up area in Pretoria is non-existent.

Grant

Honorary Master
Integrated transport planning deputy director-general Mawethu Vilana said on Wednesday a tender for the study would be issued this year, the newspaper reported.
A TENDER for the study ???
Most foreign governments will fund feasibility studies in the hope that businesses in that particular sector would be able to participate in the final project.
The British, americans & germans have funded the feasibility studies for a great deal if not most major infrastructural over the last 20yrs or so.
Of course, conducting a feasibility study requires expertise in the particular field.
What south african company has the expertise & experience in high speed rail projects ??

Major corruption is going to be seen here. If a high speed rail project ever goes ahead & the current thieves are still "ruling" the land, we will see corruption on a scale as never before.
The corruption in the arms deal will pale by comparison, appearing more like pinching a chocolate from shoprite !

grim

Expert Member
Infrastructure like this will always be loss making with the taxpayer funding the shortfall.
Most public transport world wide is partly funded by tax payers money.

I've just come back after spending a couple of weeks in Europe and there is no way they can run the public transport systems they have with the amount they charge per ticket. In Rome we paid €1.50 for a one way bus and subway ticket or €6 for a day ticket, in Belgium train tickets were around €3 one way, France was €1.80 for metro tickets.

I'd happily have them use my tax money for decent public transport systems especially high speed rail links rather than building R240m palaces for themselves.