TransUnion offers free identity theft protection for a year after N4ughtySec attack

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
How bank customers can protect themselves after hackers leak TransUnion data

Consumer credit bureau TransUnion has offered customers affected by a data breach free access to its TrueIdentity product for a year.

"TrueIdentity gives people the information and tools to detect identity-related threats and, if need be, a way to get help to recover from them," TransUnion stated.

TransUnion lost our personal data.
TransUnion now wants us to give additional personal data to TrueIdentity TransUnion, to delegate the responsibility to us of ensuring that the TransUnion data compromised in the breach is not going to be used for nefarious purposes. :unsure:
Free of charge nogal. But only for a year, because we all know that syndicates don't use data from breaches older than one year.

:unsure:

got the email earlier today,
trying to save face with this joke,

we lost your data, BUT we can protect you for a year...
Haven't received anything, with my luck I was certain I would be amongst those who are affected, maybe it's still coming.

How does this protects me? The email they sent did not indicate how?

A bit too f*cking late isn't it? What's going to happen here...zip! Nothing! Nada! THey should be fined into bankruptcy but that won't happen will it?

Be very careful, these types like to give away for a year but then bill on annual thereafter. They should offer the protection for free for a much longer period. They lost the data and its not really their main line of business anyway. Stupid is as stupid does.

How does this protects me? The email they sent did not indicate how?
They send you alerts when credit enquiries are done on your profile, you can then take action by calling the companies and stopping the fraud in its early stages.

Reactions: rh1
Be very careful, these types like to give away for a year but then bill on annual thereafter. They should offer the protection for free for a much longer period. They lost the data and its not really their main line of business anyway. Stupid is as stupid does.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if their little "giveaway" still requires your payment details with automatic renewal at the end of the year...

I still want to know which client account was used to breach their systems... Both Transunion and that client need to be fined big crown and be forced to pay for identity theft issues related to this breach for a good long while to come.

What happens if my email address and postal address have changed? How will TU get in touch with me if I was impacted by the leak? Do I just wait for some ID thief to contact me! :unsure:

Before I left SA I struggled with these clowns.
They're worse than dealing with TELKOM.
I never got what I wanted. I was trying to get my credit report (not that it matters anymore).
They kept saying "your documents are not clear"
The last comms I had with them was I sent them PDFs of certified copies of ID etc.. etc..
Never heard anything since.

Back