Travel advice when tested positive

PowerFactor

I did some maintenance work here in Namibia. As part of getting back to South Africa I did the covid 19 test and the results came back as positive. Seems like I am stuck here in Namibia for a while.

What I would like to know is if any of you guys were in the same situation and what did you do? My concern is how long does it take for the PCR to test negative again after you had covid 19?

cr@zydude

Executive Member
I'm not sure how Namibia handles it. In SA if you can isolate at home for 10 days and don't require hospitalisation the provincial health department sends you an email saying that you are assumed to no longer be infectious. No 2nd test is required.

theratman

Honorary Master
I did some maintenance work here in Namibia. As part of getting back to South Africa I did the covid 19 test and the results came back as positive. Seems like I am stuck here in Namibia for a while.

What I would like to know is if any of you guys were in the same situation and what did you do? My concern is how long does it take for the PCR to test negative again after you had covid 19?
Unfortunately you can still test positive on a pcr test up to 6 weeks after having the virus. Not want you want to hear, had a friend in a similar situation a few months back, they stayed an extra 4 weeks until they finally tested negative. It does depend from person to person though.

konfab

Honorary Master

Buy a coffin and mail yourself home.

PowerFactor

I'm not sure how Namibia handles it. In SA if you can isolate at home for 10 days and don't require hospitalisation the provincial health department sends you an email saying that you are assumed to no longer be infectious. No 2nd test is required.
A family member's friend had a similar problem with someone who tested positive. Apparently a letter from a doctor saying you have isolated the 10 days is good enough to get back.

My employer will contact the travel doctor on Monday to confirm if true or not.

PowerFactor

Unfortunately you can still test positive on a pcr test up to 6 weeks after having the virus. Not want you want to hear, had a friend in a similar situation a few months back, they stayed an extra 4 weeks until they finally tested negative. It does depend from person to person though.
Yes and that is the problem with this PCR test. On the stupid government website they don't state any other protocols how to get back.

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
10 Days then you retest. The rapid test that the SA gov offers at the border is not accepted in Namibia.

It needs to be a PCR test. 850 a pop....

If you test Positive in NAM you need to show the ministry folk that you are able to safely self isolate otherwise they throw you into Gov sanctioned facilities.

For what it's worth I heard of a guy in WIndhoek who need to cross to Zambia for work, did three tests at three different places, 2 were positive one was negative...

PowerFactor

Still testing positive for covid and still no other solution to get back to South Africa. Verder sit ek hier met my vinger in my hol...

neoprema

Executive Member
Still testing positive for covid and still no other solution to get back to South Africa. Verder sit ek hier met my vinger in my hol...
same lab?

Have you tried testing at another lab? I assume you have somewhere to stay?

PowerFactor

There is only pathcare with the processing lab in Windhoek. I currently stay here in Tsumeb and the company is paying.

I was wondering if I can do the antigen test at the border going from Namibia to SA? Not sure what is the process at Nakop. Do they check for the covid certificate when going out of Namibia?

Paulv

Does anybody know what the latest requirements are if you enter Namibia via plane from Cape Town?. Do they require a 7 day or 72 hour PCR test result. I am flying to Walvis Bay next week.

Tman*

Expert Member
Does anybody know what the latest requirements are if you enter Namibia via plane from Cape Town?. Do they require a 7 day or 72 hour PCR test result. I am flying to Walvis Bay next week.
Negative results 72h prior to travel going there and coming back. Print out the results.

chrisc

Executive Member
Same with driving from Cape Town or wherever

A printed result form from Pathcare is required, or they do not let you in.

PowerFactor

Rather work with the 72h requirement.

If you get tested positive you will have see a doctor and self isolate.

In the end I had to drive back to South Africa because the airport is too stupid to accept a doctor's letter or maybe the official at the border was to lazy and let me through.

Corelli

Expert Member
You cant return till you get a double negative test. So wait 14 days and then retest.

Sorry that you got it but think of those that you could infect (and who can die from it.

A friend of my parents recovered from Cancer (both had cancer) so they avoided everyone for 6 months. Their daughter in law came with to visit them with a friend of hers. The friend didnt tell anyone she had covid but she tested positive before. Sadly both parents are now dead.

So be considerate and wait it out, It sounds like you are a bit of an idiot that now feels upset because you got it (you were probably careless in the 1st place). Rather than try force your way into South Africa where you may infect many others (it sounds like you dont care to infect others unless you get your way.)

You are blaming everyone but yourself and you dont consider anyone else but yourself. Thats what I call a total idiot.

TeMoeg

Take two doses of Ivermectin. One now, and the second after 48hrs. The next day there will be no signs of any virus, guaranteed.

PowerFactor

You cant return till you get a double negative test. So wait 14 days and then retest.

Sorry that you got it but think of those that you could infect (and who can die from it.

A friend of my parents recovered from Cancer (both had cancer) so they avoided everyone for 6 months. Their daughter in law came with to visit them with a friend of hers. The friend didnt tell anyone she had covid but she tested positive before. Sadly both parents are now dead.

So be considerate and wait it out, It sounds like you are a bit of an idiot that now feels upset because you got it (you were probably careless in the 1st place). Rather than try force your way into South Africa where you may infect many others (it sounds like you dont care to infect others unless you get your way.)

You are blaming everyone but yourself and you dont consider anyone else but yourself. Thats what I call a total idiot.

When I was tested positive I had to go to the doctor and he instructed me to isolate for 14 days. After the 14 days I went back to the doctor and he gave me a letter stating I have followed the isolation protocols as stipulated by the government (The isolation protocol is 10 days but the doctor told me 14 days just be sure).

I have also contacted the Namibian health department and the South African health port at the border before I came back to South Africa. I presented all the documents they have requested at the border. They will not allow you to go through without the requested documents.

You should maybe go ask your doctor about the PCR test and how it works. The PCR is a very sensitive test and can detect the virus RNA up to six weeks. The virus is dead after 14 days but the PCR test can still detect traces of the virus RNA.