Travel insurance cancel policy before departure

chrisc

Executive Member
Bought a travel insurance policy for a trip in early Feb from Bryte and received an "Embassy letter" from them. Bonitas medical told me to contact Bryte

Duly applied for a visa for China and Japan. The Chinese application requires specific documentation and the fees are R1400 per person

Last week I received an email from Bryte advising the policy has been cancelled. Upon enquiring, spoke to 7 different people who seemed not to know what is going on, denied that they had sent such a letter. Sent the email back to someone who could speak reasonable English and she confirmed that the policy had been cancelled, but no idea why or vy whom

In the meantime, the visa application from China was declined, due to "fraudalent documentation". They had enquired with Bryte who told them that the policy did no longer exist. VBS, who handle Chinese visas tell me that due to this fraud, I am unable to re-apply as I have a "do not process" mark on my name. I started to explain, and the call was cut

Apart from the wasted R2800, I cannot understand why Bryte suddenly cancelled the policy

My travel agent friend suggested that travel insurance from Bryte will be handled by some other company from 1st January. This decision was made by Bonitas who have not advised their policy holders

Bonitas themselves are clueless. There is an unworking link at the bottom of their website

travcaine

Next time, most credit cards come with free travel insurance just use that.
I’m with FNB and always just issue myself a TIC insurance on the website

chrisc

Executive Member
The c/card insurance was not good enough for the Chinese visa co

c3n0byt3

My travel agent friend suggested that travel insurance from Bryte will be handled by some other company from 1st January. This decision was made by Bonitas who have not advised their policy holders

What's this about 1st January?
Also have Bryte for a January trip.
Went with them rather than TIC because they are apparently the only ones willing to cover SAA flights.

quovadis

Executive Member
Bought a travel insurance policy for a trip in early Feb from Bryte and received an "Embassy letter" from them. Bonitas medical told me to contact Bryte

Duly applied for a visa for China and Japan. The Chinese application requires specific documentation and the fees are R1400 per person

Last week I received an email from Bryte advising the policy has been cancelled. Upon enquiring, spoke to 7 different people who seemed not to know what is going on, denied that they had sent such a letter. Sent the email back to someone who could speak reasonable English and she confirmed that the policy had been cancelled, but no idea why or vy whom

In the meantime, the visa application from China was declined, due to "fraudalent documentation". They had enquired with Bryte who told them that the policy did no longer exist. VBS, who handle Chinese visas tell me that due to this fraud, I am unable to re-apply as I have a "do not process" mark on my name. I started to explain, and the call was cut

Apart from the wasted R2800, I cannot understand why Bryte suddenly cancelled the policy

Bonitas themselves are clueless. There is an unworking link at the bottom of their website

Send a formal letter of demand to Bryte requesting:

1) A formal and sworn affidavit of explanation regarding the cancellation as you have been prejudiced by their action.
2) Demand payment for the applications fees lost as a result

- within 10 working days.

If they fail to comply then go the small claims court route and add your time and expenses to deal with this and the visa process time and lodge it against whoever is the CEO / MD as per CIPC. Unfortunately you will fight an uphill battle with the Chinese consulate even with the sworn affidavit.

You need to decide what the resultant damage to you is and determine if small claims is appropriate or it is worth taking it further via civil action. If they had a valid reason for cancelling for whatever reason (I assume they will find one) you'll be out of luck so keep that in mind.

fastesthamster

Based on what @supersunbird has posted I would say it's probably Bonitas' fault that your insurance was cancelled. At the very least the product manager for the insurance product didn't think through the logistics of already sold policies and how to handle migration.