Travelling overseas – turning off mobile/roaming sufficient?

Cassady

Expert Member
Hi all,

Haven't been overseas in a while – leaving in a few days. I presume all will be fine if I just leave the mobile data/roaming off – and simply go on as per normal, connecting via Wifi when available?

I would prefer not to have to sell a kidney to pay back Vodacom for roaming charges when I get home... So would rather be safe than sorry.

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Get a sim card in the country you are going to. Its so much cheaper. Your whatapp and all that stay on your old number so you can stay in contact like that. There are mobile sim card sellers at most international airports. My most recent trip they even taped my ZA sim to the inside of the back cover of my cell phone to make sure I would not lose it while using their sim card.

MikeCTZA

Expert Member
Haven't been overseas in a while – leaving in a few days. I presume all will be fine if I just leave the mobile data/roaming off – and simply go on as per normal, connecting via Wifi when available?
I would prefer not to have to sell a kidney to pay back Vodacom for roaming charges when I get home... So would rather be safe than sorry.
I've done that and also enabled SMS Roaming [BEFORE you leave SA, I've just done it before boarding at airport] (see: https://now.vodacom.co.za/article/roaming-without-borders ) and have been quite fine. Technically you could probably just enable the Vodacom roaming thing but I would rather not trust them alone, so do what you proposing too.

Quote from page:
SMS Roamer
Cost: No subscription
SMSs sent: R2.75. SMSs received: Free
Coverage: All Vodacom’s partner countries.
Advantage: All voice and data functions on your phone are disabled – which means no unexpected bills!
Activate: SMS ‘ROAMON’ to 123. To deactivate, SMS ‘ROAMOFF’ to 123.
For: Contract, Top Up and Prepaid customers

justplain

Expert Member
Yeah, +1 for the vodacom SMS roaming and +1 for getting a local sim card.
I have a UK pay as you go sim that I use when I travel as it's supported pretty universally. If I need to check for SMS's I pop my vodacom sim back in and hey presto.

werfie

Expert Member
Hi all,

Take the sim out. Why stress about something that will pretty much be useless otherwise. You can message and make phone calls on Whatsapp to probably everyone important you know. Take your sim out, get a local sim and don't worry.

krycor

Honorary Master
I normally just disable or check international roaming via the MTN system before the flight. Also make sure sms roaming is on (though this doesn’t mean your sim will roam.. eg where there is no bilateral agreement in place it just won’t)

And then also turn off roaming for it on iPhone settings.