Travelling to Thailand

ice_cubes

Executive Member
Yeah it's a lot to carry on you in cash, but best to have it. You never know if they will ask you to show it and with our worsening reputation it's a strong possibility.
insane! I wonder what happens if you ask them to accompany you to an atm to withdraw the cash. I'm very careless with money & could easily lose it :(

Nimz

Expert Member
Not everyone carries so much of cash, I wonder why they are enforcing such a rule

Doesn't make sense

I'm planning to go to Bangkok next year, will it be the same or is for specific airports in Thailand?

eehellfire

Executive Member
Hi guys,

I am leaving for Thailand in 2 weeks, could you please advise which would be the cheapest option travelling abroad. I have an account with FNB and would like to know which route is the most affordable to use? I am considering Capitec bank as an option as well -
Bidvest is a bit expensive.

I would appreciate your input

Thank you :)
Using your credit / cheque card is best for accommodation. Some restaurants, retailers, tailors, bars etc take cards, but generally they only take cash.
Best idea is is to draw cash from an Thai ATM using your SA bank card - but do this as few times as possible as there is a fee on top of the exchange rate for drawing from international ATMs.

Norrad

insane! I wonder what happens if you ask them to accompany you to an atm to withdraw the cash. I'm very careless with money & could easily lose it :(
It's up to the officer. Some will allow you to go back to an ATM to withdraw if you are lucky (there is one next to an exchange booth before immigration in Savarnabhumi airport). Others just take you to an office where they process you for deportation from what I've gathered on the forums and groups. I know people who have been asked to show the cash and they have had it luckily (usually in Dollars as it's easier to get and carry from outside of Thailand). I don't personally know anyone who was refused entry though.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Capitec - they have no fees on international card purchases, R50 withdrawal fee, and no spreads on currency conversion. I'm going to open an account soon for travelling
I recently travelled to Mauritius and was totally hamstrung as my Capitec card refused to work anywhere: no electronic purchases, unable to draw money at ATMs.

Fortunately my FNB card worked and even applied an automated overdraft so that I just could get by. I raised this with Capitec and all I got was requestes for details as to where I tried to draw money or buy what where; just a goddamn nuisance.

It makes me wonder whether banking cheap with Capitec is what it is: Cheap. You pay for what you get with South African banks it seems.

Norrad

I recently travelled to Mauritius and was totally hamstrung as my Capitec card refused to work anywhere: no electronic purchases, unable to draw money at ATMs.

Fortunately my FNB card worked and even applied an automated overdraft so that I just could get by. I raised this with Capitec and all I got was requestes for details as to where I tried to draw money or buy what where; just a goddamn nuisance.

It makes me wonder whether banking cheap with Capitec is what it is: Cheap. You pay for what you get with South African banks it seems.
That's actually Nedbank's fault as far as I know. All Capitec Forex and international transactions go through Nedbank as they don't have the capability yet to process them. Still a major pain in the ass.

jman

Expert Member

Hmm did you let them know that you'd be traveling?

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Hmm did you let them know that you'd be traveling?
Why is that necessary? All of my FNB cards (credit, cheque, petro) work straight out the box, without a fuss, when abroad. I specifically wanted to test Capitec because of their advertised lower currency exchange fees.

jman

Expert Member
Why is that necessary? All of my FNB cards (credit, cheque, petro) work straight out the box, without a fuss, when abroad. I specifically wanted to test Capitec because of their advertised lower currency exchange fees.
Possibly a security thing? I do know that they say you need to advise them if you're going abroad and intend using your card. I'm happy to do that if it means no fees and no spreads

Antelope

Possibly a security thing? I do know that they say you need to advise them if you're going abroad and intend using your card. I'm happy to do that if it means no fees and no spreads
Capitec has to be advised before traveling abroad,as well as given the dates and countries of travel.
This is to avoid the account being blocked due to suspicious behavior

skimread

Executive Member
Capitec has to be advised before traveling abroad,as well as given the dates and countries of travel.
This is to avoid the account being blocked due to suspicious behavior
Nope. I have been to the branch and they told me they don't need to be informed.

The thing that irks me with Capitec is the app easily wants you to reactivate it again at the branch if it detects a sim change. So best is before you travel to uninstall the app and just use internet banking as if Capitec detects an issue with the app they block internet banking as well. CC purchases stay unaffected.

ice_cubes

Executive Member
you supposed to let them know when you go abroad-incase your card has been cloned or used fraudulently

Antelope

With regards to travelling abroad you will have to notify the bank by visiting your nearest branch. I have also listed our international number for calling our client care department.

Our Debit Mastercard is open for international use.

Above is email I received from capitec.
The branch manager informed me the same

LCBXX

Honorary Master
you supposed to let them know when you go abroad-incase your card has been cloned or used fraudulently
In all my years of banking and travelling I've never had to inform the bank prior to travelling - FNB/Nedbank/Virgin money, their cards worked as per normal, even when buying something on the plane (Wifi, duty-free). I'm not sure what this nonsense is with Capitec; the PED's straight-up rejected the card when inserted into the machine.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
With regards to travelling abroad you will have to notify the bank by visiting your nearest branch. I have also listed our international number for calling our client care department.

Our Debit Mastercard is open for international use.

Above is email I received from capitec.
The branch manager informed me the same
Nah, fsck them with their nannying and needing their approval to access MY money. I got a similar response about their 24-hour number being available for calls and what not, the irony being that I could not even buy a Rs100 SIM using their card to make a call.