Travelstart receives $40-million investment

abzo

forum angel
I don't understand why people use it considering there are other similar sites that don't charge fees.
Although travelstart do sometimes have exclusive specials.

cozinsky

Expert Member
I don't understand why people use it considering there are other similar sites that don't charge fees.
Although travelstart do sometimes have exclusive specials.
Besides the specials, I found that Travelstart's prices are actually cheaper than what you pay when booking directly from the airline or hotel's websites. I am not sure how they do it. They are also a very progressive company with cell phone apps, a very good website and newsletters etc. They also have very good support which I experienced first hand when I cancelled a flight and got reimbursed. I used to travel extensively to Europe and Russia so I know what I am talking about. Very impressive company I must say and I think they will only get better with this investment.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Besides the specials, I found that Travelstart's prices are actually cheaper than what you pay when booking directly from the airline or hotel's websites. I am not sure how they do it. They are also a very progressive company with cell phone apps, a very good website and newsletters etc. They also have very good support which I experienced first hand when I cancelled a flight and got reimbursed. I used to travel extensively to Europe and Russia so I know what I am talking about. Very impressive company I must say and I think they will only get better with this investment.
So they're basically the same as Travel With Lia except with $40mil backing instead of the bottomless coffers of Naspers?

... on the app front I mean, no doubt Travelstart is a more established player in general

JStrike

Honorary Master
So they're basically the same as Travel With Lia except with $40mil backing instead of the bottomless coffers of Naspers?

... on the app front I mean, no doubt Travelstart is a more established player in general
Similar product, but Travel with Lia is a business offering, and Travelstart is a consumer offering.

I didn't know that Naspers invested in Travel With Lia. Are you sure?

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Similar product, but Travel with Lia is a business offering, and Travelstart is a consumer offering.

I didn't know that Naspers invested in Travel With Lia. Are you sure?
They chose to be a business offering to start off with, but trying to operate as a true startup they could go consumer fairly quickly if they choose to.

To explain the Naspers link:
- Lia is a spinoff from a R&D / startup project run by Media24, Spree was another spinoff from the same project
- So Media24 has a vested interest in both and of course Naspers owns Media24

If you check out Lia's homepage the Companies that book with Lia section contains only other companies who are part of the family, not a coincidence

EDIT: memory got jogged, the "project" I referred to was actually a startup division of Media24 called Touchlab, Touchlab created both Spree and Lia

Last edited: