Treasury has submitted documents on Nkandla, finds Zuma must pay R7.8m

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Its higher than I expected if I'm to be totally honest.

But its about 10 to 20 times lower than it should be.

biometrics

Honorary Master
So where's he going to get the money and will he be paying donation taxes?

blunomore

Honorary Master
Refresh my memory: Was the amount of upgrades that are not security related ever quantified in any of the reports?

daveza

Honorary Master
If I remember correctly, the order was for Zuma to personally pay the amount.

He will have to show this has come out of his own pocket somehow - I'm sure the other parties will demand proof.

And what happens if he says he does not personally have the money ?

biometrics

Honorary Master

He will have to show this has come out of his own pocket somehow - I'm sure the other parties will demand proof.

Oh we all know he's got a ton of money, the question is where did it come from?

sox63

Executive Member
Its higher than I expected if I'm to be totally honest.

But its about 10 to 20 times lower than it should be.

You need to remember that Thuli only found him to payback a reasonable percentage of the non-security upgrades and not the entire R250m

blunomore

Honorary Master

Also, what happens if he does not make the 45 days deadline?

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master

Run an SMS campaign requesting R5 donations from members of the public, like he did during his corruption trial...

blunomore

Honorary Master
You need to remember that Thuli only found him to payback a reasonable percentage of the non-security upgrades and not the entire R250m

That is part of the problem. If you or I were unjustly enriched, we would either have to pay back EVERYTHING, or the upgrades / improvements would physically be removed from our property.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...

I know this, but we all know that a large chunk of the money was funneled through overpriced contracts. He should still be liable for the FULL cost of each non-security upgrade.

bandooq

Expert Member
Zuma must pay R7.8m for Nkandla upgrades, Treasury finds

The National Treasury has submitted a report to the Constitutional Court on how much President Jacob Zuma must pay for non-security upgrades at his Nkandla homestead.

"All queries regarding the matter should be directed to the Court," the National Treasury said in a statement.

It was given 60 days by the Constitutional Court to calculate a reasonable cost.

According to the report, released to the media by the Constitutional Court, the total amount calculated was R7.8m.

"As a consequence, the reasonable percentage of the estimated costs of the five measures that the President would have to pay personally would be 87,94%. This percentage corresponds to R7 814 155 as at June 2009," read the report.

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/N...-for-nkandla-upgrades-treasury-finds-20160627

Status
Not open for further replies.