Trevor, Ivy’s Sentech clash

BTTB

Executive Member
WOW!

Party peers going for each other.
Seems the norm nowadays.:p

Hasn't this been many of our problems in this country. Treasury has done a sterling job in collecting the money, but implementing this money is the fundamental problem for Government Departments. I suspect that this little amount of R500Million is the tip of the Iceberg of much bigger problems in Government spending.

All good and well having the money, but if you cannot spend it then you might as well give it back to the taxpayer who worked so hard to make it.

I wonder if this inability of Government to spend budgeted and allocated money is one the reasons our economy is flagging. What I mean by this is Cash Flow. Government sits with Billions of Rands to go back into the economy, but it simply isn't getting there?

Vegeta

Executive Member
I dont get this R500mil!!! to connect 250 schools thats an insane amount of money. Wait let me make a quick sum, im not going to spend time on this so i'm going for a ballpark. Uncapped 1mb line = R2500pm now give every school lets say 5 lines thats R150000 per year. * 250 = R37 500 000
mmmm kay throw in the odd R10mil for routers and everything else.
Why in hell do they need R500mil!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Or am i missing something? Do they just want to create a local network? Well uncapped local then even cheaper(alot)!
Or what the fark are they trying to do?

Last edited:

bekdik

Honorary Master
I dont get this R500mil!!! to connect 250 schools thats an insane amount of money. Wait let me make a quick sum, im not going to spend time on this so i'm going for a ballpark. Uncapped 1mb line = R2500pm now give every school lets say 5 lines thats R150000 per year. * 250 = R37 500 000
Or am i missing something? QUOTE]

You're missing the trough piggy part of the equation ...

BTTB

Executive Member
Long after Poison Ivy is retired (Pension recently increased in the Mini Budget) we will still be trying to sort out the Telecom mess in South Africa.

Ivy, Manuel, whoever. I paint them all with the same brush.:mad:
The rotten apple of bad governance in the Telecoms Sector sits squarely on the shoulders of all the Ministers of the Ruling Party. They can point fingers at each other all they want, but at the end of the day they are running the country and making the policies.

bekdik

Honorary Master
The rotten apple of bad governance in the Telecoms Sector sits squarely on the shoulders of all the Ministers of the Ruling Party.

Unfortunately the rot doesn't stop at telecoms.

alloytoo

Honorary Master
Spanner in the works boys - Ivy is complaining that they only received half of the funds requested, and they received R500m, so they in fact they requested R1bn.

And R500m can make a huge difference.

Indeed, R500m can make a huge difference, perhaps if they used what he gave them for what it was intended he might give them a dash more.

bekdik

Honorary Master
Indeed, R500m can make a huge difference, perhaps if they used what he gave them for what it was intended he might give them a dash more.

If they'd used the R500m for what it was intended for, there would be 500 schools online ....

moosag

Expert Member
LoL... Good the b*tch is getting lashed by Trevor!

Frankly if I were GVT I would not give Sentech a cent. They are hopeless, useless lazy bunch of stalwarts who only live on GVT funding and dont have the capability to compete in a growing telecoms company which they had a good 5 years edge over everyone else and GVT assistance and funding. They promote bad business all round. Those in charge should rather keep quiet before they end up digging themselves a bigger hole.

greggpb

Expert Member
Finally the infighting becomes public.. I just hope the public will do something about it....

Bottom line it there need to be some accountablity from goverment with the way things are going now with the rand and I fell they they are not worth the 40% of my salary I pay them monthly..

Tux

Software Communist
500mill ought to buy a shedload of donuts...

Crusader

Expert Member
Call me stupid, but why can't they make use of intl sat connections for the rural areas - not as if latency would be a problem. Heck Sentech offers a sat service (even if it is a ripoff). ISP grade sat equipment from intl provider ~ R20k x 250 = R5 mil. That leaves a heck of a lot over to spend on (uncapped, guarenteed) service from a intl provider.

kingmonty

Expert Member
Or am i missing something? Do they just want to create a local network? Well uncapped local then even cheaper(alot)!
Or what the fark are they trying to do?
They need to build infrastructure as most of the schools are rural. Next time, RTFA.

Back on topic, the government has failed time and again with this project. First it was VSTAR satellite services for the schools, that failed dismally and at massive cost - most of it written off by SENTECH. Then it was WIFI using that ****ty 2.5G technology that was subsisidised by the Sentech mywireless fupuck - it was so badly managed that some suppliers are still being paid on invoices despite the plug being yonks ago - millions more written off. And now this. Sadly Ivy is only one spoke in this wheel, the rot started well before her - in fact, it started in Jay Naidoo's days. That company is as bad a leech on the treasury as the SAA.

Vegeta

Executive Member
Call me stupid, but why can't they make use of intl sat connections for the rural areas - not as if latency would be a problem. Heck Sentech offers a sat service (even if it is a ripoff). ISP grade sat equipment from intl provider ~ R20k x 250 = R5 mil. That leaves a heck of a lot over to spend on (uncapped, guarenteed) service from a intl provider.
And thats assuming all 250 schools are very "rural" no lines no wimax no 3G no nothing. Which is probably not the case.

fishfly

Honorary Master
sigh... why won't the feking cabinent FIRE this biach seeing as all the projects initiated with sentech = money leeching!

Vegeta

Executive Member
They need to build infrastructure as most of the schools are rural. Next time, RTFA.
My bad! read it very quickly. Are you telling me that every single school out of that 250 are totally rural no nothing?
If that is the case for R500mil they can contract voda,mtn,neotel or dare i say telkom to build the entire infrastructure for them. Geez how can R500mil not be enough for that.