• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Two-Day Giveaway - Win a Google Chromecast, Branded Gear, and a Mystery Gadget. Enter Here.
  • Giveaway - Win a DiskStation DS918+ and Active Backup Suite from Synology. Enter Here.

Tried to purchase PREPAID bundles -- Telkom Portal not working !

MidnightWizard

Expert Member
SO
We have a few prepaid Telkom Mobile SIM cards
Wanted to purchase more data but under the X amount of data per month for twelve months plan

PREPAID
Z'khipa More
( Telkom More )

Went to the Telkom Direct shop this morning -- they tell us NO you can ONLY do that package ONLINE
OK
So go to the Telkom Portal and look for the numbers of the Prepaid SIM cards
Look and look and look - NO this service is unavailable
Go to the Telkom APP on the mobile -- Sorry we are having problems processing your data
WHAT next ?
Go to the ATM ? ( STILL waiting for a refund on that R100.00 which seems to have got lost in cyberspace somewhere )

HOW can we support Telkom when they do not allow us to purchase anything ?

Can anyone tell me what the next step is -- that has ANY chance of working ?

Aqox

The next logical step would be to vote with your money and switch providers. Ezpz

MidnightWizard

Expert Member
Suggestions ...????

The next logical step would be to vote with your money and switch providers. Ezpz
Thank you for those wise words
WHO else would you suggest ? ( that has the same or better [ PREPAID - NOT contract ] data prices and plans )

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I dont see Internet Starter pack (which is what you seem to want) mentioned on the Telkom website anymore, maybe discontinued?

f2wohf

Honorary Master
I never manage to recharge via the website.

The app usually works after 3 or 4 tries.

Their payment system is always the culprit.

MidnightWizard

Expert Member
What you need to know !

I dont see Internet Starter pack (which is what you seem to want) mentioned on the Telkom website anymore, maybe discontinued?
Have a look here

https://secure.telkom.co.za/today/campaign/prepaid-zkhipha-even-more/

GO to -- "What you need to know" ( A pdf document download )

This tells you the different options

Also available if you go to *180# using USSD codes
From what I can work out you need to ALREADY have money in the system to be able to convert into a "bundle"
IF ;
I could access the different SIM cards via the portal I assume I could do this and pay via CCard

One is ONLY able to learn Telkom via the -- School of Hard Knocks and Serious Trauma !

MidnightWizard

Expert Member
A tale of MANY bundles .... ( and RAGE ! )

OK
One step forward but a few back

Went to the selfhelp part of the Telkom Portal ( separate login )
Wonderful can see ALL the Telkom Mobile SIM cards can click on the expand button = WOW WONDERFUL

Come to do the top up story -- HHhmmmm

On the SIM that is tied to the Home Unlimited I have the option of a NUMBER of bundles -- ONE of which is the top up for twelve months PREPAID
Great stuff this option exists -- on a SIM that is tied into the Home Unlimited package and gets updated every month with ONE GiG of data = No problem

Now go to the SIM that is NOT locked into the Home Unlimited

WEIRD ... on this SIM there are only TWO [DATA] bundle options -- "once-off" & "LTE Once-Off" data expires after a couple of weeks -- ONCE-OFF !

WHY on these other SIM cards is there NO -- day / month / year bundle options ( as in the case of the Home Unlimited SIM ) ?????? WHY

Does one need to change to some OTHER Tariff plan ?
Does one need to go and get a whole DIFFERENT SIM card ????

Free beer for a week for whoever can [SUCCESSFULLY ] answer the question ?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
OK
One step forward but a few back

Went to the selfhelp part of the Telkom Portal ( separate login )
Wonderful can see ALL the Telkom Mobile SIM cards can click on the expand button = WOW WONDERFUL

Come to do the top up story -- HHhmmmm

On the SIM that is tied to the Home Unlimited I have the option of a NUMBER of bundles -- ONE of which is the top up for twelve months PREPAID
Great stuff this option exists -- on a SIM that is tied into the Home Unlimited package and gets updated every month with ONE GiG of data = No problem

Now go to the SIM that is NOT locked into the Home Unlimited

WEIRD ... on this SIM there are only TWO [DATA] bundle options -- "once-off" & "LTE Once-Off" data expires after a couple of weeks -- ONCE-OFF !

WHY on these other SIM cards is there NO -- day / month / year bundle options ( as in the case of the Home Unlimited SIM ) ?????? WHY

Does one need to change to some OTHER Tariff plan ?
Does one need to go and get a whole DIFFERENT SIM card ????

Free beer for a week for whoever can [SUCCESSFULLY ] answer the question ?
Oh yes... trying to remember the names but yes, there are 2 different data SIM "types".

MidnightWizard

Expert Member

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Thanks for the suggestions
Unfortunately -- "SOMEHOW" is not going to qualify -- as a "Successful" answer

Wait for hours on the Telkom "help" line ?
Go into the Telkom Direct shop and wait in the queue ( to still come up empty handed ? )

Decisions Decisions .....
Is the other SIM a contract data SIM or prepaid?

If a prepaid SIM, then you can switch the type of plan somewhere in the USSD menus (what I suspect the guy did), if contract SIM, tough luck.

MidnightWizard

Expert Member
AAAARRRGGGHHHHH ..............

Is the other SIM a contract data SIM or prepaid?
If a prepaid SIM, then you can switch the type of plan somewhere in the USSD menus (what I suspect the guy did), if contract SIM, tough luck.
There are THREE other SIMS -- lots of routers / laptops / tablets
ALL are PREPAID
Seems you get given a new SIM when SOMETHING is not working on the old one
Have a look at what happened to BWANA -- seems Telkom give out SIMS like Smarties

I tried last night to change the tariff plan via USSD -- message came back "unable to process your request at this time"
Do I now have to put EVERY SIM in a mobile first in order to change the Tariff plan ?

TELKOM WHEREFORE ART THOUGH !!!!!!!!!!!!

UPDATE

OK
Tried out a couple of things ( and had SOME successes )

I had to go to the MyTelkom website in order to see the SIM cards registered to me.

In order to be able to apply the -- prepaid once off payment for the month by month fixed data your TARIFF plan MUST BE -- "Telkom MORE" the "Smart Broadband Wireless" does NOT have those options !

You are able to switch TARIFF plan ONLY ONCE per MONTH !

Once you are on the Telkom MORE plan the options for DATA BUNDLE purchase then become available -- under "STARTER INTERNET PACK"

It appears you can only switch TARIFF plan via USSD codes in a mobile phone ?
Also it appears that IF using USSD to top up you MUST ALREADY have the necessary funds available on that SIM
( I imagine in AIRTIME which you then covert to a bundle )

IF using the web-portal you may use your credit card to pay for the prepaid plan
This will appear as an SMS if you have your bank linked -- you also get an SMS and email notification and verification.

I also tried at the ATM to see if the month by month prepaid option was available as a data bundle option.
Far as I could see the only options available were once off single month data top-ups ( or airtime )

As pointed out previously the PREPAID month by month option is NOT available -- IN-STORE.
( although this type of package IS available IN-STORE at VODACOM ! )

So that is about it -- hope this might help someone else ......
IF I discover more I will post it here.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
So that's what it was, Telkom More. The prepaid SIM I had was removed/recycled, so I could not check what plan it was, it had had an Internet Starter Pack for a while.

I' glad you came right.