Trip to France - currency questions

Snyper564

Executive Member
We plan on traveling (road trip via car) from the South (Toulouse) to North (Paris) during the course of the two weeks. I have never traveled in France before and was wondering what the best option would be where "money" is concerned.

I currently bank with FNB so I can get a Global account and cash passport card, I can obviously use a credit card or carry physical cash (if this is suggested do I draw money there or order here?). From those who have been in France could you please share your 0.02 Euro would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
We plan on traveling (road trip via car) from the South (Toulouse) to North (Paris) during the course of the two weeks. I have never traveled in France before and was wondering what the best option would be where "money" is concerned.

I currently bank with FNB so I can get a Global account and cash passport card, I can obviously use a credit card or carry physical cash (if this is suggested do I draw money there or order here?). From those who have been in France could you please share your 0.02 Euro would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
We found that its cheaper to juwt swipe your credit card for every transaction, and draw like R1000 in euro for those places that dont take a card.

Wasnt in france, but in Spain amd Portugal.

IIRC those "travel cards" are usually quite expensive fee wise.

Either way, remember to tell your bank youre using the card overseas, including where your layovers are, and between which dates. There should be a number on the card that you can call.

Otherwise they cancel it due to fraud.

EADC

Executive Member

Thanks!
What I've usually done is get cash passport which just helps against currency fluctuations as you buy at a set rate and get some euro delivered so when you get there you have cash and don't have to worry finding an ATM.

Ruxin

I used my Capitec account to draw cash at the airport. They had the cheapest rate, think it was R65 to withdraw.

I then used my FNB CC and had my Capitec card for backup and cash. This worked for France, Spain, Netherlands and Italy.

Also let FNB and Capitec know beforehand that I will be in those countries. This was March and April 2018.

Last edited:

agentrfr

Executive Member
Just use a credit card to pay for most stuff, draw from ATMs when you need to. Fees are only a couple of % for drawing cash at ATM, payments dont usually have fees (at least that's how my ABSA VISA card works)

Snyper564

Executive Member
Thanks all will look into each a bit more! Have a wonderful weekend!

genetic

Honorary Master
Just be careful in Paris. My GF's iPhone was pick-pocketed right outside the Eiffel Tower on New Years eve, and my mate was mugged 2 years ago at the Pantheon.

If you exercise the same security caution you do in SA, you should be fine in Paris. :p

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
Cash and CC. Cash passport is not accepted at most places. But, a Cash Passport can be used to withdraw cash at ATMs, which is handy.

CPs are quite a hit and miss. I have used mine to pay at a parking meter in one town, and then it was rejected at another.

Arzy

Honorary Master
Going as well in April but will only be staying in Paris this time.

As has been said your actual CC will almost be the best in most cases, just let your bank know you are going out of the country so that they don't block it and try and get gold of you.

We'll also be taking some actual euro along as there are a couple of things which need to be paid in cash.

In my mind the only thing the cash passports are good for is pegging a rate so that if the ZAR tanks from 16 to 160 while you are there you aren't exposed.

ice_cubes

Executive Member
I Just withdrew 5k from the atm when I landed at the airport. Its cheaper than getting forex before leaving sa.

Pickpockets and scammers galore in Europe. Keep your valuables hidden. If u swipe your card at a shop,make sure they r charging u the correct amount...i was overcharged at Desigual and they refused to refund the difference