"Trojan horse cells kill cancer"

BLIXEMPIE

Honorary Master
http://www.news24.com/Content/SciTe...-06-2009 10-06/Trojan_horse_cells_kill_cancer

It's a complicated process, involving a cell that can basically disarm cancer cells but leave all healthy cells intact. (Chemo-therapy alone destroys both cancer cells and healthy cells.) This is what the decades worth of cancer research has all been about:

Sydney - Australian scientists have developed a "Trojan horse" therapy to combat cancer, using a bacterially-derived nano cell to penetrate and disarm the cancer cell before a second nano cell kills it with chemotherapy drugs.

The therapy has the potential to directly target cancer cells with chemotherapy, rather than the current treatment that sees chemotherapy drugs injected into a cancer patient and attacking both cancer and healthy cells.

Sydney scientists Dr Jennifer MacDiarmid and Dr Himanshu Brahmbhatt, who formed EnGenelC Pty Ltd in 2001, said they had achieved 100% survival in mice with human cancer cells by using the "Trojan horse" therapy in the past two years.

The scientists plan to start human clinical trials in the coming months. Human trials of the cell delivery system will start soon at the Peter MacCullum Cancer Centre at the Royal Melbourne Hospital and The Austin at the University of Melbourne.

Production of proteins

The therapy, published in the latest Nature Biotechnology journal, sees mini-cells called EDVs (EnGenelC Delivery Vehicle) attach and enter the cancer cell.

The first wave of mini-cells release ribonucleic acid molecules, called siRNA, which switch off the production of proteins that make the cancer cell resistant to chemotherapy.

A second wave of EDV cells is then accepted by the cancer cell and releases chemotherapy drugs, killing the cancer cell.

"The beauty is that our EDVs operate like 'Trojan horses'. They arrive at the gates of the affected cells and are always allowed in," said MacDiarmid.

'Hottest areas'

"We are playing the rogue cells at their own game. They switch-on the gene to produce the protein to resist drugs, and we are switching-off the gene which, in turn, enables the drugs to enter."

RNA interference, or RNAi, is designed to silence genes responsible for producing disease-causing proteins and is one of the hottest areas of biotechnology research.

RNA was the basis of the 2006 Nobel Prize in medicine.

Dozens of biotechnology companies are looking for ways to manipulate RNA to block genes that produce disease-causing proteins involved in cancer, blindness or AIDS.

apogeeza

This says it all:
WARNING!!!
Blixempie Talks K.A.K.

BTW, we all know that they no longer develop cures for "anything" because the treatment of "everything" is ... just too lucrative.

Last edited:

BLIXEMPIE

Honorary Master
When a medication irradicates cancer from the human body, it means that body is cured of the cancer it had. Exactly what this thread is about. What part of this thread's title is misleading?

apogeeza

When a medication irradicates cancer from the human body, it means that body is cured of the cancer it had. Exactly what this thread is about. What part of this thread's title is misleading?

Your sig gave it away. Use the correct title: Scientists kill cancer cells with "trojan horse" And ...

You forgot to put references, such as these:
http://health.yahoo.com/news/reuters/us_cancer_australia.html
http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSTRE55R1Q320090628
http://www.news24.com/Content/SciTe...-06-2009 10-06/Trojan_horse_cells_kill_cancer

Now that we have reputable sources, you are welcome to wipe your mouth (and edit your sig)

BLIXEMPIE

Honorary Master
People. Seriously. This is a treatment that destroys only cancer cells! Thus, it's a cure for cancer! That's exactly what it is! This is absolutely great news! Soon people can be cured of cancer, yet they won't have to suffer the painful consequences of chemo that fscks up all the rest of their body. Nothing misleading.

Gomario

Banned
Hmmm . . . People on a broadband forum talking about a 'cure' for cancer :D What exactly do you want to be 'cured'? Just a bit of help for the computer geek - Cancer as such, is not a disease per se (as flu or aids) is more like what YOU are (same as aging or growing up). I am not going to go here into details but I hope one day the human species will find a cure for aging, growing nails, hair, cancer. Is a difficult concept to grasp but one day . . . Even some doctors view/talk about cancer/aging as a disease. Well they are wrong. Of course, humans want to STOP cancer and aging because both are developments which inadvertly result in dead. Before you slash my view, do some reading into this for at least 10 years and then come back and chat with me. There are quite a few news groups about cancer and 'cutting edge' medicine. The beauty of 'cyberspace' is, everyone is connected to everyone als. Johnny Bravo down the road (pretending to be the Pope), can talk to Martin Luther King (who wants to be a 'normal man' at least on the net) and convinces him to become a catholic. Welcome to the 21st century :D

killadoob

Honorary Master
Well i do not see how you we will stop aging.

That to me seems impossible and cancer is a disease if you ask me. It is something attacking your body, aging is on a totally different scale.

Gomario

Banned
Do a bit of reading on 'undifferentiated cells' to begin with. Don't look into a medical library because you won't understand all the funny (mostly latin and greek) terms. Try wikipedia to get some easy links.Cancer and aging is very much related deep down. Just the rate of chage over time differs. In essence every cell (apart of stem and haploid cells) in our bodies are in essence precursor cancer cells. They are kept in 'check' though by a very fine tuned mechanisme. When they multiply to slow they die because of old age and when it goes to fast they die again because of cancer. That's the basics. The detailes are of course a bit more complicated and beyond the scope of this forum. Some steps are poorly understood and some not at all. You are right - with todays tech is impossible to fix but there is always a tomorrow. Nice to see Australia gets more and more to the helm of this bleeding edge research. Do a Google on cornea +stem cells +Australia. I remember, there was a time when your country (I assume you are South African), was involved in 'cutting edge' medicine too. Do a Google on 'first hard transplant'.

killadoob

Honorary Master
I am not convinced in all honesty, i can understand fighting diseases but reversing aging seems impossible.

If they do it won't be in our life-time i think.

sleez

I am not convinced in all honesty, i can understand fighting diseases but reversing aging seems impossible.

If they do it won't be in our life-time i think.

imagine how many kids some people would have...I think we first need to get over the human birth rate issues before the technology is introduced. My guess it would an elitist secret drug. :p

MielieSpoor

Expert Member

It's a complicated process, involving a cell that can basically disarm cancer cells but leave all healthy cells intact. (Chemo-therapy alone destroys both cancer cells and healthy cells.) This is what the decades worth of cancer research has all been about:
This is really good news and I hope the medical researchers working on this will have success on this.

My dad died of cancer years ago and the chemo absolutely destroys your body. He's teeth started to crumble and he had almost no taste. His feet was very sensitive to heat (and we stayed in Pietersburg which get on the hot side), and the list goes on...

If this research will help people to live a few years longer without any side effects, it they would have achieved a lot more than where they are today imo.

First instance, if they can give people say and extra ten years then my dad would've been here for atleast one more year which would've been absolutely SUPER!!

Anyways, I wish these guys well, and I really hope that they will be able to help many people if they are able to successfully produce these medication!

killadoob

Honorary Master
but WHY does it 'seem impossible'? is there an actual legitimate reason for saying so? didn't landing on the moon, not even mentioning putting a man there seem impossible, only a very short while ago?

i think that it's to great above what people are used to, but that does not mean, even in the slightest, that it can't be done.

It can, and if society keeps well, it WILL. likely and hopefully in our own very lifetimes.

Developing technology is amazing yes but reversing nature is on a whole different level. I cannot in my mind see how they can do it in the next 50 years does not seem possible.

Your point is valid but still seems impossible for the next few decades.