Trump may not ban people on Twitter

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator

US President Donald Trump is no longer allowed to block people on Twitter, according to a federal appeals court ruling, The New York Times reported.

The court ruled that Trump blocking US citizens from following his Twitter account was a violation of the Constitution, adding that his posts were a public forum and he cannot exclude Americans from reading them just because he does not like their views.

Sl8er

Executive Member

Which means that AOC -and everyone else- will have to unban her -their- people as well.

(That's right, I also watch Tim "donate-if-you-like-my-work" cast :D )

BetaProject

Which means that AOC -and everyone else- will have to unban her -their- people as well.

(That's right, I also watch Tim "donate-if-you-like-my-work" cast :D )
Maybe, if they use their accounts for government business. Fishing for votes on Twitter is probably not official government business, which is what Trump uses his account for. Making his account the platform on which matters of government policy is announced means he may not legally exclude Americans from viewing or commenting on such announcement.

R13...

Honorary Master
Sounds like a waste of money appealing that ruling. Trump hardly ever engages with the many trolls who engage with his tweet.

Unless being Trump he prefers a nice echo chamber. Also means he reads some of the criticisms and abuse that gets hurled his way in response to his tweets which is rather sad.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Sounds like a waste of money appealing that ruling. Trump hardly ever engages with the many trolls who engage with his tweet.

Unless being Trump he prefers a nice echo chamber. Also means he reads some of the criticisms and abuse that gets hurled his way in response to his tweets which is rather sad.
He just needs to do what he should have done from the beginning - use his official POTUS account for presidential announcements and reserve RealDonaldTrump for his usual performative rants, conspiracy theories, retweeting racist videos, feuding with celebrities, screaming about his innocence, and lying.

R13...

Honorary Master
He just needs to do what he should have done from the beginning - use his official POTUS account for presidential announcements and reserve RealDonaldTrump for his usual performative rants, conspiracy theories, retweeting racist videos, feuding with celebrities, screaming about his innocence, and lying.
Lol that's funny and sensible. But Trump probably can't separate the two so he's keeping his own personal one because his supporters shouted YES when he asked them if he should keep after winning the election.

RaptorSA

Expert Member
Wait what?!?
Am I understanding this correctly?

So Twitter deplatforming and killing people's accounts for made up rules that have absolutely nothing to do with the constitution is OK, but somehow Trump blocking someone on their platform is "a violation of the Constitution"?

I find this beyond bizarre so I'm filing it in the clown world bin.

R13...

Honorary Master
Wait what?!?

So Twitter deplatforming and killing people's accounts for made up rules that have absolutely nothing to do with the constitution is OK, but somehow Trump blocking someone on their platform is "a violation of the Constitution"?

It's probably that the account is a platform uses as US president so he can't deny voters a chance to interact with him by banning them. As cerebus said above, be can use the official white house account and reserve his midnight rants at enemies, real and imagined, for his personal one and would them be able to ban people.

BetaProject

Wait what?!?

Twitter is a private platform, and can do what they want, within their TOS. Trump is using his account as an official govt platform, and since he is prez, if he bans someone, it is an official govt action against a citizen, prohibiting them from accessing govt communications. That is against the first amendment.

Private citizens don't have to listen or speak to anyone they don't want to, government is required to allow citizens access.

If Trump used Twitter as he was supposed to, this wouldn't be an issue.

C4Cat

Executive Member
Wait what?!?

What other kind of rules are there? They're all made up aren't they?

Sl8er

Executive Member
Looks like "but-muh-privut-platfurm" will be tested in court soon...ish....

lowriderza

So the previous ruling was confirmed. Good. I also think it's fair that Twitter can't ban Trump since his account is a goverment platform. There are numerous court cases all over the US confirming their version of Freedom of Speech. Recently in California their State Court gave a ruling that Freedom of Speech can't be disallowed within the common areas of malls. Inside stores however you may refuse admission.