Trump might impose a 10% tariff on iPhones

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Trump might impose a 10% tariff on iPhones

Apple Inc., which has lost a fifth of its value in a tech market rout since October, is poised for another setback after U.S. President Donald Trump suggested that 10 percent tariffs could be placed on mobile phones, like the iPhone, and laptops made in China.

The company already is facing reports of suppliers cutting forecasts, signaling the new iPhone models introduced in September aren’t selling as well as anticipated. Trump’s comments to the Wall Street Journal that he may include Apple’s signature product in another round of tariffs on Chinese imports are another blow for Chief Executive Officer Tim Cook.

[Bloomberg]

Lupus

Honorary Master
You release a minor update and charge more? You keep doing this year on year and you expect people to keep flocking for it? Come on Apple you're the first of many who are going to realise this isn't working anymore. Next up is Samsung as it's one of the Android OEMs who does the same thing.

MEIOT

Expert Member
I hope this is true....great comic relief with the additional benefit of hopefully putting the final nail in to this pretentious and much-ado-about-nothing phone. Still baffles me why people would choose an Iphone at that price point over a far superior product and ecosystem. Yeah, I get the whole status thing - but still....why? The only status that comes across is poor life choices.

Is it just me?

sajunky

Honorary Master
As long they are made in China, it should be import duties. Why not???

greg0205

Honorary Master
I hope this is true....great comic relief with the additional benefit of hopefully putting the final nail in to this pretentious and much-ado-about-nothing phone. Still baffles me why people would choose an Iphone at that price point over a far superior product and ecosystem. Yeah, I get the whole status thing - but still....why? The only status that comes across is poor life choices.

Is it just me?

Only now do I realise the error of my ways, and I duly pledge to observe MEIOT-think from here on out.

To that end, I'll need some advice if you don't mind...

Obviously my previous life of individual thought and free will was all wrong and will require penance... I've had iPhones since 2008 and I've been on a Mac even longer... After burning them in effigy, will all that time using them require additional mortification of my flesh?

Additionally, where do I find the approved list of devices I'm allowed to have for when I replace them?

Does MEIOT-think require I replace the Samsung and LG appliances in my home?

How about my car? What are the rules?

To conform to MEIOT-think I will immediately send cease-and-desist notifications to friends and such. Obviously I'm in no position to judge relationships for myself and will need guidance on where to meet suitable, vetted and conformist new friends. Your guidance here would be appreciated.

How about sports? I've been a Golden Lions/Lions/Springbok/Liverpool fan for ever. Obviously in error. Please advise on which teams I am allowed to follow in future.

Clothes? I wore jeans, Chuck Taylors and a button down shirt this morning. I imagine you'll have a take on what is acceptable for the group and what is not. Please respond before tomorrow morning so I don't make a fool of myself at work... Again.

Speaking of morning, I listen to 702/Hot 91 and Jacaranda on my commutes. What is the group approved radio station?

Religion? Obviously prostration before all things Google is a must, but I'm agnostic in matters of faith... Will I be required to speak in tongues and flail around on the floor like a Brazilian football player trying to draw a penalty at my nearest charismatic church on Sunday? Is this negotiable?

Finally, what should I eat tonight and what am I allowed to stream?

PS. It's just you dumbass.

MEIOT

Expert Member
No need for name calling little bud - was just my opinion. I get that's probably your goto move to reinforce your opinion somehow, or try to, but really? Immature much? Calm down - relax - breathe.

You clearly don't share my opinion - and that's okay. No need to get all worked up and get your panties in a twist.
I do admire the time and effort you took though to write that long reply. All for naught. But ...here's a slow clap....(imagine a random individual slow clapping accompanied with the distinctive sound of a slow clap)

Make yourself a cup of tea, calm down.

PS: i didn't read 90% of all the garbage you were spurting on your reply. I just don't have the patience or time you clearly do

greg0205

Honorary Master
No need for name calling little bud - was just my opinion. I get that's probably your goto move to reinforce your opinion somehow, or try to, but really? Immature much? Calm down - relax - breathe.

You clearly don't share my opinion - and that's okay. No need to get all worked up and get your panties in a twist.
I do admire the time and effort you took though to write that long reply. All for naught. But ...here's a slow clap....(imagine a random individual slow clapping accompanied with the distinctive sound of a slow clap)

Make yourself a cup of tea, calm down.

PS: i didn't read 90% of all the garbage you were spurting on your reply. I just don't have the patience or time you clearly do

Oh, words.

Don't folk like you usually respond with the NPC memes y'all think are devastating?

MEIOT

Expert Member
Oh, words.

Don't folk like you usually respond with the NPC memes y'all think are devastating?
Brilliant comeback -very noteworthy. A for effort - it sure beats your previous thesis you wrote. I would award another slow clap - but I'm all out for the day. I'm fast clapping right now though. Actually i think it's just a regular clap - I'm regular clapping right now.

I'm not sure what the answer to your question is - I think it was rhetoric - but i'll give some sort of answer a shot.

My answer is .... okay.

PS: I'm proud of you for abandoning the name calling- keep that up bud

greg0205

Honorary Master
Brilliant comeback -very noteworthy. A for effort - it sure beats your previous thesis you wrote. I would award another slow clap - but I'm all out for the day. I'm fast clapping right now though. Actually i think it's just a regular clap - I'm regular clapping right now.

I'm not sure what the answer to your question is - I think it was rhetoric - but i'll give some sort of answer a shot.

My answer is .... okay.

PS: I'm proud of you for abandoning the name calling- keep that up bud

Glad we could clear that up. Good chat.

Emjay

Honorary Master
Oh, words.

Wrong thread, greg. I wonder if there is an old man NPC meme. :unsure:

You should really learn how to use podcasts instead of listening to 702.

greg0205

Honorary Master
Wrong thread, greg. I wonder if there is an old man NPC meme. :unsure:

You should really learn how to use podcasts instead of listening to 702.

But, but, but Aki's traffic...

Also, currently listening to Bag Man, but, you know, it's Maddow, so you might not like it.

Emjay

Honorary Master
But, but, but Aki's traffic...

Also, currently listening to Bag Man, but, you know, it's Maddow, so you might not like it.

No thanks, don't sip on that kool aid. I actually don't even listen to political podcasts. I prefer topics around personal development, my sports, economics, etc. Stuff that actually has an impact on my day to day life.

greg0205

Honorary Master
No thanks, don't sip on that kool aid. I actually don't even listen to political podcasts. I prefer topics around personal development, my sports, economics, etc. Stuff that actually has an impact on my day to day life.

Sadly, I’m a history junkie so that podcast is like smoking rocks for me.

PS. The banality of drivetime radio is often soothing in this life we take way too seriously.

Emjay

Honorary Master
Sadly, I’m a history junkie so that podcast is like smoking rocks for me.

PS. The banality of drivetime radio is often soothing in this life we take way too seriously.

I do agree with this (shocking, I know). That's why I have many, many playlists. I feel that our drive time radio is enough to kill brain cells though. So I prefer to put my smartphone (which ironically is a Samsung) to better use. ;)

greg0205

Honorary Master
I do agree with this (shocking, I know). That's why I have many, many playlists. I feel that our drive time radio is enough to kill brain cells though. So I prefer to put my smartphone (which ironically is a Samsung) to better use. ;)

Look, we’re going to need to have the “just try this iPhone, I promise you’ll like it” chat one day.

X88Bass

:/ Back door deals happening with china - apple might have flunked a long time ago to be getting better but anyways we'll always be addicted to gadgets and their products.

Emjay

Honorary Master
Look, we’re going to need to have the “just try this iPhone, I promise you’ll like it” chat one day.

I don't ride that train any longer, just like the progressive leftist rhetoric. I was an Apple Fan Girl for around a decade, and then decided I am done with being ripped off. I was even one of those MacAir toting hippies that sat in cafes at one stage too. Now I prefer to spend that money on holidays, sporting gear or whatever strikes my fancy. :D