Trump reportedly wants to ban end-to-end encryption

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Trump reportedly wants to ban end-to-end encryption

United States president Donald Trump is planning to kill off end-to-end encryption, Politico reports.

Sources told Politico that US government officials met last week to discuss the implementation of legislation which would prohibit technology companies from using encryption which can’t be cracked by government.

eg2505

Honorary Master
OK, Mr trump, now your messing with internet privacy, and that has some serious repercussions.
do you want your voter base to dry up?

eg2505

Honorary Master
Only terrorists and criminals have something to hide.
or people wanting to hide their p0rn pics,

or people wanting to not share every detail of their private lives.

where is Edward Snowden when you need him? damm millenial's always lazy

OCP

Expert Member
Only terrorists and criminals have something to hide.
My 7 year old would disagree with you ;-)

On a completely unrelated note... anyone know of any specials on french doors with the little glass window panes?

Swa

Honorary Master
Like so many before him. All it ends up doing is alienate more people from government.

garp

Executive Member
Between this and the crackdown on Chinese tech firms, they are really creating an incentive for alternative platforms. Give it a few years and I guarantee there will be open platform smartphones running open source linux or something (e.g. Ubuntu Touch) - it's inevitably going to happen now as the Apple/Google duopoly tightens the screws. No matter how crappy they are initially, I can see this happening quite fast now.

Yes, Android is technically open source, but it is so embedded with Google and the Play store environment I think people would leap at the opportunity to use truly open platforms and hardware. This is actually quite exciting as it opens the gap for a whole new alternative environment and ecosystem.

konfab

Honorary Master
This one has been going longer than the Orange One. The first messiah of the US didn't care much for privacy either.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Between this and the crackdown on Chinese tech firms, they are really creating an incentive for alternative platforms. Give it a few years and I guarantee there will be open platform smartphones running open source linux or something (e.g. Ubuntu Touch) - it's inevitably going to happen now as the Apple/Google duopoly tightens the screws. No matter how crappy they are initially, I can see this happening quite fast now.

Yes, Android is technically open source, but it is so embedded with Google and the Play store environment I think people would leap at the opportunity to use truly open platforms and hardware. This is actually quite exciting as it opens the gap for a whole new alternative environment and ecosystem.
No it isn't? That's the manufacturers adding it, since a vast majority of us use/want them.

Pythonista

And in news of the day, FaceBook moves its HQ to Holland, where privacy is respected.

Ninja'd

A Djinn
Funny how Trump always manages to get these headlines when much more egregious things are happening.

Like Apple censoring Telegram.

https://reclaimthenet.org/apple-censoring-telegram/

Or Apple refusing to update apps unless certain content is censored.

https://reclaimthenet.org/apple-parler-censor-offensive-content/

It's all about the bottom line and he gets sites more clicks.

Just like how 10 dead in Europe terror attack gets coverage for days but a 100 dead in Mali gets the ticker tape treatment.

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
There’s a global anti democratic movement. They want to get rid of privacy, it’s already been accomplished in Australia. Ordinary people can’t let this pass!

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
How would you do so with an app like Tox? Distributed and encrypted.