Tshwane’s free Wi-Fi in trouble

Kevin Lancaster

MyBroadband Editor
Tshwane’s free Wi-Fi in trouble

Tshwane’s free Wi-Fi project is at risk of being shut down, according to a report by IOL.

The report stated that the service provider claims not to have been paid. This may result in disconnections across the metro.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
One of the chickens that threatened Solly Msimanga election is coming home to roost.

Stokstert

Executive Member
One of the chickens that threatened Solly Msimanga election is coming home to roost.
This project was an ANC balls up from the start and Solly Msimanga sits with the "gebakte pere".

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
I hate the word "free". It implies nobody pays the cost. Hundreds of millions of rand is sucked out of the municipal budget to provide wifi to city dwelling youngsters, paid for by the rates and taxes of the suburbs and rural population.

The_MAC

Executive Member
I hate the word "free". It implies nobody pays the cost. Hundreds of millions of rand is sucked out of the municipal budget to provide wifi to city dwelling youngsters, paid for by the rates and taxes of the suburbs and rural population.
The whole idea was to drive economic growth, through E-Commerce and the like, WiFi was the enabler.

If the whole thing is well thought out, then yes, it can be "free" as in the cost is offset or even replenished by the business it generates.

In our case, I think there are more pressing issues to focus on, like security, before we can enjoy 1st world perks.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
How is people on facebook and instagram and downloading music videos supposed to do that?

The_MAC

Executive Member
How is people on facebook and instagram and downloading music videos supposed to do that?
That's why I said, there is an entire eco-system that is supposed to be in place i.e. Digitised Home Affairs, Banking Transactions (think SnapScan) etc. for all of it to work as intended.

As you said, now its just driving data binging on all sorts of nonsense

Notna

This project was an ANC balls up from the start and Solly Msimanga sits with the "gebakte pere".
Do not forget the ultimate B.S- artist from Isizwe who orchestrated this with the ANC, and who owns the infrastructure which the taxpayers paid for. Just follow the money trail.