Tshwane resident ready to call it a day for cabbage patch feeding the poor after being ‘threatened’ by TMPD officers

Milano

Honorary Master
The land belongs to the city... they don't need a bylaw to say you can't plant cabbages on there. You can't plant ****all on there. It belongs to them

Or can I come over to your place and plant schit?
Colonialist!

garyc

Expert Member
This is more of a national thing - people are not allowed to grow food within a certain distance of a road. This is to avoid the food being contaminated by pollution. Driving through rural areas the fields stop well before the road. Countries I have been to without these sorts of laws tend to have fields coming right up to the road.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
The land belongs to the city... they don't need a bylaw to say you can't plant cabbages on there. You can't plant ****all on there. It belongs to them

You can try... but I of course have every right to remove it and there would be fsckall you could do about it.

You may of course have to deal with certain criminal charges laid against you for trespass because my place is private property whereas the sidewalk is public

Reactions: ES1

TheChamp

Honorary Master
This is more of a national thing - people are not allowed to grow food within a certain distance of a road. This is to avoid the food being contaminated by pollution. Driving through rural areas the fields stop well before the road. Countries I have been to without these sorts of laws tend to have fields coming right up to the road.
Surely this is written somewhere?

Speedster

Honorary Master

On the contrary. They do. City officials can't just willy nilly make decisions based on their preference. Or at least, as in this case, it seems to be the local police commissioner who has an issue, not the relevant city department.

FNfal

Executive Member
TMPD is employed by the municipality and is there for the benefit of the residents .
The local Councillor should be contacted and the officer should me made to put up or shut up and leave the resident that wants to help people alone .
TMPD sound like a bunch of Nazis

Last edited:

Milano

Honorary Master
...and it'll fish itself?

And this guy is being a bit of a drama queen and loving the attention.
Totally. And the reporter is loving it. Of course it is in the bylaws. It will not specifically mention cabbages and onions but it will cover that prohibition in a wider net..of fish..eish.

Thor

Honorary Master
Johannesburg - A Tshwane resident is ready to call it a day for his cabbage patch, which feeds those in need, after he has been allegedly threatened with arrest by Tshwane metro police officers.

Last week, Djo Bankuna took to Facebook to detail how TMPD officers had threatened him with arrest for growing a vegetable garden.

This was apparently not allowed, and only flowers or grass was allowed, a shocked Bankuna was told.

“After so much laughter, Johan and Vincent sent me away empty handed without a permit. I decided to pass via the metro offices in Winternest to give feedback about my failure to secure the cabbage-planting permit.

“It was a very bad mistake. Upon arrival at the JMPD offices, my wife and I were rudely ushered straight across the building to the office of the TMPD boss, Mr Elvis Ndlovu.

“The angry metro police office commander insisted that cabbage is not allowed outside, by-law or no by-law.

“He just does not like it, period. Instead of taking me through the by-laws and pointing to the relevant sections relating to my contravention, he angered up. Things went bad to worse when I asked him to give me a written notice of my contravention, that is when his oil began to boil. I am told that if I do not remove my cabbage by Tuesday (September 14) my arrest and jailing is 100% guaranteed.

Absolutely hope they nail this corrupt cop.

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
You can try... but I of course have every right to remove it and there would be fsckall you could do about it.

You may of course have to deal with certain criminal charges laid against you for trespass because my place is private property whereas the sidewalk is public

It's a place the public have access to but it belongs to the Muni. Not somewhere for Joe Do Gooder to go plant cabbages.

R13...

Honorary Master
I think low growing vegs should be allowed (if not allowed, not sure what Tshwane says but I've seen vegs planted by muni in PMB). Things like mielies I'd say no as they grow tall and would be an eyesore on the sidewalk.

Mekon

Expert Member
Ahhh yes but since the bylaw seems to not exist, your point is irrelevant.

Growing cabbages on the sidewalk may be unsightly but it doesn't seem to be illegal. Yes the municipality would be well within their rights to remove them since the ground belongs to them, but we all know the likelihood of that.
Maybe the police captain finds litter and broken glass bottles prettier than cabbage.

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
I think low growing vegs should be allowed (if not allowed, not sure what Tshwane says but I've seen vegs planted by muni in PMB). Things like mielies I'd say no as they grow tall and would be an eyesore on the sidewalk.

Mielies are an eyesore to you cabbages are an eyesore to me. Plus they are stinky so there's that.

Speedster

Honorary Master
I reckon we start fish farms in all public pools. There's no law against it.
Apart from the fact that you are being utterly ridiculous, bordering on trolling, the fish would die from the chlorine in the water.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
It's a place the public have access to but it belongs to the Muni. Not somewhere for Joe Do Gooder to go plant cabbages.

In theory no, but the police can't just arrest (or threaten to arrest) a person if there is no specific codified bylaw outlawing such an action... They would also have to catch the person in the act of planting such items if the bylaw did exist.

The muni does have the right to remove the offending plants from the sidewalk if they wish though.

The_MAC

Executive Member
Instead of harassing the guy, work with him - find a piece of unused land and let him farm for the community

Typical SA attitude, "You can't do that", but no alternative solution either. "You can't feed the homeless", but no sufficient shelter space either. Government have no alternatives, but will stop any good deed going against the "rules" - although the Government can loot at will

I do agree though, it should be controlled, it could attract all sorts of vermin etc. Crops do need different type of attention and consideration e.g. water, fertilizer etc.

Last edited: