Tshwane resident ready to call it a day for cabbage patch feeding the poor after being ‘threatened’ by TMPD officers

Speedster

Honorary Master
I see the TMPD statement says he was fined for obstructing the sidewalk. The issue isn't the nature of his crops, it's that the primary purpose of the sidewalk has been compromised.

thehuman

Expert Member
I see the TMPD statement says he was fined for obstructing the sidewalk. The issue isn't the nature of his crops, it's that the primary purpose of the sidewalk has been compromised.
Makes sense, they could explain it to him before hand tho .
Pedestrians would need to walk in street at that section.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...

That makes all the sense in the world, and is in line with what the bylaw states.
Didn't need Metro officers to give him some bollocks about a "license" and then also threatening him with arrest, which I don't think the bylaw allows for anyway.

Thugscub

Expert Member
Nobody uses sidewalks. I'm always amazed at the idiots trying to prove physics is a western concept.
2 ton vehicle at 100km/h will always win.

JibbersCrabst

Do you have any legal basis to back that up with? i.e. some case law, regulation or even legal opinion?
Nope, its actually not. There is no way a bylaw could pass legal muster by apportioning responsibility for maintenance off to a person that doesn't "own" the property, or have any actual say on the property. Its public land and the responsibility for maintenance will always rest with the municipality. Where we've buggered ourselves over the decades, is by just assuming the responsibility for it because the municipality has just abandoned theirs.
Not completely relevant, but when it snows in the states - if the property owner doesn't shovel the snow off their "sidewalk" within a reasonable time, the council will fine the property owner. I was shocked at what a "snow shovel" service costs if you want someone to do it for you. Almost quit my job..

Speedster

Honorary Master
Makes sense, they could explain it to him before hand tho .
Pedestrians would need to walk in street at that section.

That makes all the sense in the world, and is in line with what the bylaw states.
Didn't need Metro officers to give him some bollocks about a "license" and then also threatening him with arrest, which I don't think the bylaw allows for anyway.
Totally. Although, tbh, I'm doubting the guy's story a little bit. TMPD most likely explained it to him but it sounds like he's the kind of guy who'd colour in what they said a bit to garner more media attention. Even now after receiving the fine with a clear description of the offence he's been charged with,he still maintains it's because of the cabbage.

BuckRogers

Not completely relevant, but when it snows in the states - if the property owner doesn't shovel the snow off their "sidewalk" within a reasonable time, the council will fine the property owner. I was shocked at what a "snow shovel" service costs if you want someone to do it for you. Almost quit my job..
That's the States for you.
The average person breaks like 260 laws per year, and they keep on signing in new bills.
You can be arrested for just about anything.

Louis72

Expert Member
Instead, the DA metro holding themselves busy with K @ K like this... :mad:

Meanwhile, the Wapadrand substation burned down to the ground in 2018 we had no power for 8 days straight... it burned down AGAIN in 2021 with another 4 days of no power.

Construction still has not started for a new permanent substation...

Lynwood road is so narrow as a single lane in sections...they promise to widen it. No, instead they chase away traders that sit next to that stretch of road with TMPD.

Speedster

Honorary Master
Instead, the DA metro holding themselves busy with K @ K like this... :mad:

Meanwhile, the Wapadrand substation burned down to the ground in 2018 we had no power for 8 days straight... it burned down AGAIN in 2021 with another 4 days of no power.

Construction still has not started for a new permanent substation...

Lynwood road is so narrow as a single lane in sections...they promise to widen it. No, instead they chase away traders that sit next to that stretch of road with TMPD.
You want the police to rebuild the substation? :unsure:

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...

That one I can weirdly buy though... especially given the way that most properties in the states don't have 6 foot high walls surrounding their entire property so the division between "Public" land and "private" land is very blurred in the front of a persons property.

Louis72

Expert Member
You want the police to rebuild the substation? :unsure:
The point and your head didn't make contact...

The Metro is majority run by the DA. The TMPD and all other services such as roads, electricity fall under the metro management hence my criticism about what they focus all their energy on.

Speedster

Honorary Master

The Metro is majority run by the DA. The TMPD and all other services such as roads, electricity fall under the metro management hence my criticism about what they focus all their energy on.
No, you're creating a false equivalence. Rebuilding the substation or not is completely independent of the TMPD applying verge by-laws. In truth, they should do both, but TMPD being busy here in no way takes any resource that would've been used to rebuild the substation.

Oldfut

Expert Member

Na, the DA part does excellently; all the parts that don't work are the fault of their EFF partners, silly.

CB40

Expert Member
There was a house in emmerentia that did this years ago. I remember tomatoes and some kind of pumpkins on my drive past. Where no issues, I honestly don’t see an issue with this. Let the man grow, jeez. Talk about popo on a power trip.
The councils in JHB and Tswana (Pretoria) :ROFL:don't give a toss about the pavements anyway. The majority of us have to maintain them ourselves anyway.

Howdy

Expert Member
I did that at the start of this covid nonsense with my verge... just went fsck it, and left it for 8 months.
Council never did a damn thing in all those 8 months and I eventually just got the moer in with how crap it looked so my gardener spent an entire day cutting it all back and mowing and even clearing the road somewhat since there is no kerb on my section of the road.
Did the same in the worst part of the lock down, myself. Technically a violation of the lock down. No way o wear a mask cutting the lawn on the verge. Much jibing from my one neighbour and a "complaint" we make his property look bad. He violated lock down the next day :p

Howdy

Expert Member
So, in rush hour, would you want vehicles puling off and into the road there? Sound a bit like a recipe for disaster. I also doubt the TMPD are actually allowed to make the road wider.

On Tuesday morning TMPD were doing the same by us in a busy intresction. Many of the vehicles had hands out with thumbs up, waves etc. People seems very happy about that. I wonder why?