Tshwane resident ready to call it a day for cabbage patch feeding the poor after being ‘threatened’ by TMPD officers

deesef

Expert Member
I wish that the lazy metro cops would enforce these pavement rules in Lynnwood Ridge. There are so many places where it is not possible to walk on the sidewalk because selfish residents have converted the whole area into a garden. In some places this is on the intersection of 2 busy road and the only alternative for pedestrians is to walk in the road.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I wish that the lazy metro cops would enforce these pavement rules in Lynnwood Ridge. There are so many places where it is not possible to walk on the sidewalk because selfish residents have converted the whole area into a garden. In some places this is on the intersection of 2 busy road and the only alternative for pedestrians is to walk in the road.
I think you should report them, this was apparently prompted by some residents reporting him.

Kieppie

Executive Member
Not sure if this is misguided, or electoral politics:
I was interested in Urban farming a couple of years ago so I approve of this notion of better utilising public land, but there is very little security in it. The pavement should remain off limits, both for pedestrian safety and crop quality.

It's one thing getting permission from an owner of a vacant plot to use it for farming even if you pay a bit of rent or in exchange for maintenance. You can even add some infrastructure.

However using public land it too risky. Who gets the rights to use it. How do you prevent trespassing, theft etc etc.
Community gardens already face these types of problems.

Oldfut

Expert Member

Speedster

Honorary Master

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Not sure if this is misguided, or electoral politics:

I think its a combination of electioneering and also just a good idea really.

At least in terms of verge's the municipalities have largely abandoned their responsibilities for them, so for me a clear bylaw (which Tshwane does seem to have) about private planting on them within defined limits is a good thing.

The idea of "allotments" as they have in the UK is a grand idea in theory that would just fall apart and get buttfscked in this country. Your crops would get stolen, or land that wasn't meant for it would just get taken over etc etc. The practicalities just do not work in this country.

schumi

Honorary Master

Tshwane’s controversial pavement vegetable garden loses its lustre​

Pretoria - The controversial vegetable garden on the pavement outside Djo Bankuna’s Theresapark, Pretoria, home is no longer in the immaculate condition it was a few weeks ago.
What was once dominated by fresh vegetables is now mostly sand. The few vegetables that remain appear to be getting little to no water and look like they’ve not been tended to for a while.
Contacted for comment, BaNkuna the so-called “cabbage bandit” told the Pretoria News he would not be doing any media interviews until his court date.
A neighbour said: “I have seen him a couple of times. He could be lying low and leaving the garden the way it is because he has had enough of the media attention and scrutiny.”

More at: https://www.iol.co.za/pretoria-news...s-lustre-76220b57-d631-4a0c-87d4-7737e7a38315

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
If the guy had not taken it overboard, probably nobody would have batted an eyelid.

But planting cabbage of all things ...

The pics were of pumpkins, maize and other stuff. The media has no clue about the difference between cabbage or anything else.