TTConnect + Afrihost Fibre. Unable to get IP after router change

Kippie

Hi,

I have a working fibre installation, TTConnect + Afrihost. However when I swap the router the WAN interface does not get an IP (defaults to 0.0.0.0).

A few observations

1. On day of final install (2 Mar 2018) - plugged in laptop directly onto the media converter - got an IP (xxx.xxx.xxx.10). Did the Afrihost fibre activation in the browser - happy days.
2. Then re-purposed my Archer D7 as a WAN router - happy days, got a new IP (0.0.0.237) and again Afrihost fibre activation in browser.

Few days later received router from Afrihost. But can't get another IP, defaults to 0.0.0.0. Then did another test with a old PC re-purposed with pfSense - WAN interface can't get IP from DHCP sever. In both cases the router picks up the DNS settings - no IP though.

Now a week later I try the laptop again (plugged directly into media converter) - got back original (xxx.xxx.xxx.10) IP.

My guess here is that between TTConnect and Afrihost they don't allow more than 2 IP allocations. They also don't release the IP.

Now try explaining this to Afrihost support.

Any experience with this type of issue? I am trying to get Afrihost to come to the house and witness for themselves.

BluStorm

Try using one of the old router's MAC address on your "new" router. I had to do that when I switched from the supplied router with my own.

Kippie

Giving up.

MAC cloning doesn't work. Now original laptop and router won't connect either.

Last edited:

Kippie

And after waiting and complaining - without changing a thing - my pfSense machine picks up a WAN IP - happy days... so does a loan router I tried, etc...