Tuks phasing out Afrikaans as medium of instruction

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
[Full article] Citizen - https://citizen.co.za/news/south-af...asing-out-afrikaans-as-medium-of-instruction/

The University of Pretoria is to phase out Afrikaans as the official medium of instruction at all its campuses and residences, reports Pretoria East Rekord.

The university will from now only use English as the primary language of communication and administration.

University spokesperson Rikus Delport said the policy was adopted in 2016 by the university’s council and Senate after “extensive consultation process and recommendations from all interested parties”.

“The change in policy is aimed at facilitating social cohesion, and the university will continue to embrace and encourage multilingualism to foster unity and provide equal opportunities to speakers of all South African languages,” he said.

The consultation process included a language work stream that was formed as part of the transformation lekgotla and the independent transformation panel that focused on submissions from external stakeholders.

Delport said the decision from the various interest groups was informed by the findings that the percentage of students who reported their home language to be Afrikaans had decreased from 85% to 30% between 1992 and 2015.

“In 2016, approximately 18% of students expressed a preference for Afrikaans as a medium of instruction.”

I for one, fully support this. Tertiary education in Afrikaans makes very little sense considering most of the study material is in English.
I think there is value to having education in your own language. They don't teach in English at universities in China, France or Brazil.

However, you make a good point that since the textbooks are in English anyway, it makes it harder because you have to translate back and forth all the time.

HennieWelkom

“extensive consultation process and recommendations from all black parties” “The change in policy is aimed at facilitating a lack of any backbone, and the university will continue to embrace and encourage multilingualism to foster black pride and provide equal opportunities to all black people,” he said
FTFY

Delport said the decision from the various interest groups was informed by the findings that the percentage of students who reported their home language to be Afrikaans had decreased from 85% to 30% between 1992 and 2015.
Was Delport expecting the openly racial prejudices that the university employs were going to increase Afrikaner participation?

The fact of the matter is that the state of the world is such that having a single lingua franca is almost economically/scientifically/socially mandatory.

HennieWelkom

it takes zero effort for any institution to marginalize a white minority in this country, even if it is just 30% if Afrikaners where on equal footing than black people our needs would have been respected. do you think if the Swiss government can educate people in 4 languages we cannot do 2? bollocks we did two languages for a hundred years.

you know what the real difference is, the Swiss don't consider the Italian speakers more worthy of consideration than French. this just shows we clearly are 2nd rate citizens in this country, not that we pay 2nd rate taxes though but I bet you TUKS will continue to beg for donations from every Afrikaner that ever went there.

Nicodeamus

Executive Member
I thought multiculturalism was suppose to teach kids to learn about different languages. I don't buy the idea that a 2nd language hamstrings a kid, knowing more than one language empowers you to face the increasingly pluralistic world. This has been my experience in Europe and Africa at least.

I thought that Tuks already phased out Afrikaans. This has got far more to do with the demographics turning against Afrikaans students. Within the next decade they will be less than 10% of the populace. I am interested to know of a University like Potch will gain from this in the short time.

Messugga

Honorary Master
I think there is value to having education in your own language. They don't teach in English at universities in China, France or Brazil.

However, you make a good point that since the textbooks are in English anyway, it makes it harder because you have to translate back and forth all the time.
There are just a few more people who speak those languages than Afrikaans, and you will find that they often actually have the study material available in those languages.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
it takes zero effort for any institution to marginalize a white minority in this country, even if it is just 30% if Afrikaners where on equal footing than black people our needs would have been respected. do you think if the Swiss government can educate people in 4 languages we cannot do 2? bollocks we did two languages for a hundred years.

you know what the real difference is, the Swiss don't consider the Italian speakers more worthy of consideration than French. this just shows we clearly are 2nd rate citizens in this country, not that we pay 2nd rate taxes though but I bet you TUKS will continue to beg for donations from every Afrikaner that ever went there.
This doesn't make sense. 2nd rate to the English?

ekske1

Expert Member
I for one, fully support this. Tertiary education in Afrikaans makes very little sense considering most of the study material is in English.
I wish this sanity prevailed when I was at school up to tertiary. Of course you'd get the naysayers en fokken trotse afkinaaners telling you to study for example programming in afrikaans. jesus...

After thought: English schooling might have helped my English more than an English Church going.

Knyro

Honorary Master

Tough. This is one thing almost everybody in SA is willing to compromise on instead of trying to duplicate the tertiary education system 11 times over to cater for all the laguages in SA . We're not Switzerland and there is no reason for us to spend that kind of money on a less efficient system.

Y'all are still going to end up publishing in English anyway, just like Brazilian and Japanese researchers.

Last edited:

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Tough. This is one thing almost everybody in SA is willing to compromise on instead of trying to duplicate the tertiary education system 11 times over to cater for all the laguages in SA . We're not Switzerland and there is no reason for us to spend that kind of money on a less efficient system.

Y'all still going to end up publishing in English anyway, just like Brazilian and Japanese researchers.
And report mostly in English in industry...

Lew Skannen

Good. We'll just move our kids to Afriforums' Afrikaans universities. Having received tertiary education in our mother tongue in the past never did any harm to any Afrikaans speaking person. Tuks can operate on grants received from the government.

There are actually a fair number of non-English academic journals, though they tend to have lower impact factors due to narrower audiences.

Still, I don't think anyone should be prohibited from studying in Afrikaans if they want to, or for offering courses if there's a demand.

If there's no demand then by all means, stop the offering.

HennieWelkom

Y'all still going to end up publishing in English anyway, just like Brazilian and Japanese researchers.
whatever this is it is not a compromise, you go tell the french they should be doing research in English because 'de facto' it easy for you to say everybody is willing to compromise, because it is not you who will be effected, and who says we cannot cater for 11 languages, if the tribe leaders developed their language maybe we could. Who's fault is it that blacks don't have a ATKV?

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Good. We'll just move our kids to Afriforums' Afrikaans universities. Having received tertiary education in our mother tongue in the past never did any harm to any Afrikaans speaking person. Tuks can operate on grants received from the government.
They have universities?

Thought you're sending yours to a "la universidad"

/runs