Tuks phasing out Afrikaans as medium of instruction

konfab

Honorary Master
John Maxwell Coetzee and Nadine Gordimer are two people who would likely be highly offended at that remark. Konfab needs a library subscription bad
Congratulations for proving my point.

Virtually all of Gordimer's works deal with themes of love and politics, particularly concerning race in South Africa. Always questioning power relations and truth,
It is among his most popular works and was the 1990 Sunday Express Book of the Year. In it, he paints a picture of social and political tragedy unfolding in a country ravaged by racism and violence. Critically acclaimed, it remains one of the most striking pieces of literature regarding South African apartheid and is still used in schools worldwide for literature studies.
Let's play a game, let's remove the theme: "Apartheid is ebil" , and then see what the South African literature scene looks like.

Same thing can be said for films etc.

newby_investor

Expert Member
Congratulations for proving my point.

Let's play a game, let's remove the theme: "Apartheid is ebil" , and then see what the South African literature scene looks like.

Same thing can be said for films etc.
Except for the fact that Apartheid is what was happening in South Africa at the time, so it's obvious what South African writers will write about.

Remove the European colonisation of India from their literature and there goes Midnight's Children (critically acclaimed as one of the best novels of its time), as well as Life of Pi (pretty good movie).

Charles Dickens wrote about the problems in Britain's society, Victor Hugo wrote about the problems of the French society, Leo Tolstoy wrote about problems in Russian society. These were great authors.

You've got a right not to like something, but not to just dismiss it as not being of any worth or significance.

konfab

Honorary Master
Except for the fact that Apartheid is what was happening in South Africa at the time, so it's obvious what South African writers will write about.

Remove the European colonisation of India from their literature and there goes Midnight's Children (critically acclaimed as one of the best novels of its time), as well as Life of Pi (pretty good movie).

Charles Dickens wrote about the problems in Britain's society, Victor Hugo wrote about the problems of the French society, Leo Tolstoy wrote about problems in Russian society. These were great authors.

You've got a right not to like something, but not to just dismiss it as not being of any worth or significance.
Morality, religion and relationships are human universal themes. You can write about them at any point in history. You don't need apartheid to write about them.

This was why Jane Austen can write a book that roughly consists of a bunch of people competing in the upper-class-twit-of-the-year contest and still be completely engaging.

newby_investor

Expert Member
Morality, religion and relationships are human universal themes. You can write about them at any point in history. You don't need apartheid to write about them.

This was why Jane Austen can write a book that roughly consists of a bunch of people competing in the upper-class-twit-of-the-year contest and still be completely engaging.
Yes that's true, but often writers will write about what's around them, what's going on at the time. The morality, religion and relationships get woven into the writing, along with whatever the writer's view of them is.

I don't much care for Gordimer or Coetzee's writing myself, but I recognise that the writing was significant especially in the context.

Sollie

Expert Member
I might add that that South Africans as a whole don't give much to the world in terms of books, movies, TV etc. Hence why most people on this forum are pretty happily with content from Netflix and Youtube which are primarily English.
Don't be a Hobbit!

But let's be honest, will we be better off ito that now than say twenty or thirsty years ago? I'd suggest at best we could produce a Khardasian equivalent ito TV. Books not much, nor movies. We have a Hluadi-type norm.

newby_investor

Expert Member
Don't be a Hobbit!

But let's be honest, will we be better off ito that now than say twenty or thirsty years ago? I'd suggest at best we could produce a Khardasian equivalent ito TV. Books not much, nor movies. We have a Hluadi-type norm.
Don't sell us short! We can produce good stuff!

Books:
Max du Preez's "Of Warriors, Lovers and Prophets" was popular around the world for people interested in history. It prompted similar efforts to gather stories in other nations.
Long Walk To Freedom is popular the world over but for other reasons I guess.
The Story of an African Farm was considered quite significant the world over.
Spud wasn't a particularly serious book but it was sold globally.

Movies:
Noem My Skollie was either nominated for or won some award at one of the film festivals. Cannes? I forget now.
Inxeba was also so nominated, IIRC.
Sarafina and Invictus made waves in the world I suspect more because of their themes, but they were significant.
District 9 wasn't too bad.
The Gods Must Be Crazy did quite well the world over, a bit old now.
Again, Spud.

TV I'm not too up to date on, so I couldn't really say. I would hope that we wouldn't produce a Kardashians eqivalent, the world could do with fewer of those than what there are currently I think.

A modest contribution in total, I guess, but not insignificant. South Africa has actually disproportionately large clout in world history and culture compared with its size and population.

Sollie

Expert Member

TV I'm not too up to date on, so I couldn't really say. I would hope that we wouldn't produce a Kardashians eqivalent, the world could do with fewer of those than what there are currently I think.

A modest contribution in total, I guess, but not insignificant. South Africa has actually disproportionately large clout in world history and culture compared with its size and population.
You make my point. Then there was the movie about the animals ... (can't remember it's name). Yes, we've had some outstanding stuff extremely well received over the years
Heavens forbid on the Khardasians! But it leads into my statement that that is what is most likely what we would produce TV-wise currently. The unreal reality TV junk.

We simply do not have the environment anymore, it's a too 'small world view' currently.

newby_investor

Expert Member
You make my point. Then there was the movie about the animals ... (can't remember it's name). Yes, we've had some outstanding stuff extremely well received over the years
Heavens forbid on the Khardasians! But it leads into my statement that that is what is most likely what we would produce TV-wise currently. The unreal reality TV junk.

We simply do not have the environment anymore, it's a too 'small world view' currently.
I think the one you're looking for is Beautiful People ;-)

RedViking

Nord of the South
I really need to start reading some stuff. Any other good suggestions?

If it wasn't for the Roman's invading Gaul we wouldn't have The Adventures of Asterix today.....

Last edited: